has the ufc diluted itself buy taking over so many companies??

rob 234

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
i have watch every UFC from 1 to 146 ,,,, i had to stop with too many events plus the fights no longer the quality as before. when ufc was younger lots of fighters from all sorts of promotion had dreams to be in the UFC. and a few bad loses meant you where out. now with so many UFC each week from different levels main event fight cards are not so exclusive, and i see now they try to push one fighter to super star status at a time. while destroying whole weight categories. not to mention all there gyms that are across the world now..

question has the ufc quest for dominance tarnished their brand of excellence and or diluted their talent pool.
or you feel they offer more opportunities and more fighters get a chance to become successful ?

I think there TV deal is what diluted the product. They are required to give so much programming.

Majority of sports you have one league/org that reigns supreme and everything below it fights for scraps. I thinking buying orgs was just a natural progression of the sport of MMA.

Hard to blame the UFC or the athletes themselves when messing with match making at times. It's a huge difference for all parties if one match up sells double the PPV's than another. Over the course of time I think the UFC overall has done a pretty good job at match making.

Ufc has completely diluted itself its fucking sad.

You got champions PICKING fights ahead of actual #1 contenders and rankings mean little to nothing these days.

The Ufc zuffia boys implemented a scorched earth policy destroying other orgs and absorbing talent.

What happened is they lost the ability to really groom their own in house talent.

TUF is a fucking joke and the standards for being in the UFC is not what it once was.

The roster is bloated to keep the scheduled events covered and its not getting better.More and more nameless guys on more and more cards People don't care about.

Its come to the point every fight needs a physical confrontation or murder threats to sell fights LMFAO.

No longer is it enough to win fights and simply be the best at what you do.....now if you can't SELL fights your looked over for loudmouths or pretty faces....

God forbid a multi billion dollar company put the least bit of promotional push behind guys instead o f exoecting them to be WWE SUPERSTARS LOL.

Then you got the reebok deal that smothered out fighters opportunities to get sponsors or even look different then their opponent....or you know standout....

Ufc is the leader of the sport but they aren't about the sport expanding or even becoming more legitimate they care about profit margins.

Zuffia bums sold cuz they seen the future plateau and seen ut was time to get the fuck out haha.

Oh add in the jones and lesnar failing tests and given special treatment it still shows if your a big money maker rules will be bent or all out broken for you.

Ufc has completely diluted itself its fucking sad.

You got champions PICKING fights ahead of actual #1 contenders and rankings mean little to nothing these days.

The Ufc zuffia boys implemented a scorched earth policy destroying other orgs and absorbing talent.

What happened is they lost the ability to really groom their own in house talent.

TUF is a fucking joke and the standards for being in the UFC is not what it once was.

The roster is bloated to keep the scheduled events covered and its not getting better.More and more nameless guys on more and more cards People don't care about.

Its come to the point every fight needs a physical confrontation or murder threats to sell fights LMFAO.

No longer is it enough to win fights and simply be the best at what you do.....now if you can't SELL fights your looked over for loudmouths or pretty faces....

God forbid a multi billion dollar company put the least bit of promotional push behind guys instead o f exoecting them to be WWE SUPERSTARS LOL.

Then you got the reebok deal that smothered out fighters opportunities to get sponsors or even look different then their opponent....or you know standout....

Ufc is the leader of the sport but they aren't about the sport expanding or even becoming more legitimate they care about profit margins.

Zuffia bums sold cuz they seen the future plateau and seen ut was time to get the fuck out haha.

Oh add in the jones and lesnar failing tests and given special treatment it still shows if your a big money maker rules will be bent or all out broken for you.

there is a loy i totally agree with you here,,, when i made this post ,

Sure the UFC is still the main goal for a lot of fighters, however a lot of promoters willing to pay fighters more money than the UFC is willing to pay gives fighters more platforms to perform on.
so the major money maker is not willing to pay fighter like smaller less profitable organizations ,, is what you are trying to say, so how, gobbling up talent and putting them threw a ringer instead of finding and building their talent,

I think there TV deal is what diluted the product. They are required to give so much programming.

Majority of sports you have one league/org that reigns supreme and everything below it fights for scraps. I thinking buying orgs was just a natural progression of the sport of MMA.

Hard to blame the UFC or the athletes themselves when messing with match making at times. It's a huge difference for all parties if one match up sells double the PPV's than another. Over the course of time I think the UFC overall has done a pretty good job at match making.
i am not sure and with the doping issues , that return again and again ,, do not think it is fair , puts a number of champions not fighting number rank fighters ,, Bisbing among the list .. is it business really ,, profit before hard work ethic.

Jesus, I want to respond but I cannot read this attack on the English language.

Yes they have the now have so many fighters that they can put on multiple events in a month/ year whereas before it was one big event a month so it felt like a special event when there was a ufc show. But for me I like it because i'm a fan of the sport so I like to watch fights and fighters being in one organization makes it easier to follow. Look at kickboxing most people would only really be able to follow glory you have to be a die hard to still follow K-1 enfusion etc.

i am not sure and with the doping issues , that return again and again ,, do not think it is fair , puts a number of champions not fighting number rank fighters ,, Bisbing among the list .. is it business really ,, profit before hard work ethic.

Your looking at it from the current state today of what is going on. Historically the UFC or its fighters haven't gone off the reservation with match ups very often. This time will past soon and for the most part it will be back to business as usual.

Sometimes match ups will come up that all parties want and it makes great business but it usually comes at the expense of the perfect hierarchy of rankings. Even fighters being coaches on the Ultimate Fighter causes issues with it.

Over the course of history of the UFC they have done a pretty good job at keeping it all together a large majority of the time.

P.S: Look at a lot of other orgs and you'll find very little direction in what they are doing with match ups from event to event.

Last edited:
Your looking at it from the current state today of what is going on. Historically the UFC or its fighters haven't gone off the reservation with match ups very often. This time will past soon and for the most part it will be back to business as usual.

Sometimes match ups will come up that all parties want and it makes great business but it usually comes at the expense of the prefect hierarchy of rankings. Even fighters being coaches on the Ultimate Fighter causes issues with it.

Over the course of history of the UFC they have done a pretty good job at keeping it all together a large majority of the time.

P.S: Look at a lot of other orgs and you'll find very little direction in what they are doing with match ups from event to event.
yes understand ,, but why did they let light heavy weight dry for 1 year waiting for jones vs cormer, only to have the fight after in disgrace, it is not the first time they have totally killed a division waiting for one fight, yes fair or unfair to fighter in line up , second why does the ufc give rankings if more enthuses is put on money making fights then fight that are due. i loved pride they had crazy matches , some good some well unknown why , the ufc is trying to have people purchase high priced tickets for match making that is less then its worth, i bought a for 350 usd, 10 years ago for a great overall card ,, not just a main event and co main event match , now they expect people to pay the same for 2 -3 main attraction fights and the rest of the card is all upcoming, no where near the dept as before.

yes understand ,, but why did they let light heavy weight dry for 1 year waiting for jones vs cormer, only to have the fight after in disgrace, it is not the first time they have totally killed a division waiting for one fight, yes fair or unfair to fighter in line up , second why does the ufc give rankings if more enthuses is put on money making fights then fight that are due. i loved pride they had crazy matches , some good some well unknown why , the ufc is trying to have people purchase high priced tickets for match making that is less then its worth, i bought a for 350 usd, 10 years ago for a great overall card ,, not just a main event and co main event match , now they expect people to pay the same for 2 -3 main attraction fights and the rest of the card is all upcoming, no where near the dept as before.

Some of the water down/quality of events has a lot to do with what they agreed to in programming for the FOX deal. 10 years ago Spike didn't require a whole hell of a lot from the UFC in terms of events. So it was a lot easier to stack up cards. Also I believe a lot of MMA fans from 10+ years ago where newbie fans from the about 2005 and followed the sport much more closer than today's overload of UFC content we get. So most cards you recognized all the names on it cause you followed it so much closer. Today, I'll admit most cards have more then a few fighters that I got to think real hard about if I even know who they are(many I don't). Mainly, cause I don't follow the sport religiously from the ground up like I use to. On the UFC stage I pretty much follow or care about the main players in each division. I don't go out of my way to learn everything about the 17th ranked fighter in the division. I'll worry about him when he hits the top ten or starts making some noise.

I think there well aware the PPV business model isn't a long term sustainable or at least at high levels. The new TV deals that have been signed recently WME has really brought the price up. Rumors are 400 Million it will take in the US to get a deal done. If they can secure that kind of guaranteed money yearly just from the US alone I think the days of monthly PPV's are over. Media outlets aren't looking to pay 400 Million for DJ's of the world to be headlining. There going to want much bigger names and draws. I won't doubt if they got to something more along the lines of 6 events a year on major network TV (PPV quality events), 8 to 10 events very good cards on a secondary channel, and another 6 to 10 events of lower quality on a secondary channel and Fightpass. They will then look to stack 3 or 4 PPV's a year that are can't miss events. This is how they won't lose PPV dollars and still reap the benefits of major $$$$$$ TV deals. Us fans win in the end. Right now we are getting screwed more times than not.

I think "diluted" is the wrong word.
It should be "deluded".

Some of the water down/quality of events has a lot to do with what they agreed to in programming for the FOX deal. 10 years ago Spike didn't require a whole hell of a lot from the UFC in terms of events. So it was a lot easier to stack up cards. Also I believe a lot of MMA fans from 10+ years ago where newbie fans from the about 2005 and followed the sport much more closer than today's overload of UFC content we get. So most cards you recognized all the names on it cause you followed it so much closer. Today, I'll admit most cards have more then a few fighters that I got to think real hard about if I even know who they are(many I don't). Mainly, cause I don't follow the sport religiously from the ground up like I use to. On the UFC stage I pretty much follow or care about the main players in each division. I don't go out of my way to learn everything about the 17th ranked fighter in the division. I'll worry about him when he hits the top ten or starts making some noise.

I think there well aware the PPV business model isn't a long term sustainable or at least at high levels. The new TV deals that have been signed recently WME has really brought the price up. Rumors are 400 Million it will take in the US to get a deal done. If they can secure that kind of guaranteed money yearly just from the US alone I think the days of monthly PPV's are over. Media outlets aren't looking to pay 400 Million for DJ's of the world to be headlining. There going to want much bigger names and draws. I won't doubt if they got to something more along the lines of 6 events a year on major network TV (PPV quality events), 8 to 10 events very good cards on a secondary channel, and another 6 to 10 events of lower quality on a secondary channel and Fightpass. They will then look to stack 3 or 4 PPV's a year that are can't miss events. This is how they won't lose PPV dollars and still reap the benefits of major $$$$$$ TV deals. Us fans win in the end. Right now we are getting screwed more times than not.

seems like a smarter idea to me, as the quality of pay per view has dropped , plus if they want there fight pass to gain momentum they need to once again bring more fans to the table. well lest hope you idea is more sound then what they are doing now , thank you

i have watch every UFC from 1 to 146 ,,,, i had to stop with too many events plus the fights no longer the quality as before. when ufc was younger lots of fighters from all sorts of promotion had dreams to be in the UFC. and a few bad loses meant you where out. now with so many UFC each week from different levels main event fight cards are not so exclusive, and i see now they try to push one fighter to super star status at a time. while destroying whole weight categories. not to mention all there gyms that are across the world now..

question has the ufc quest for dominance tarnished their brand of excellence and or diluted their talent pool.
or you feel they offer more opportunities and more fighters get a chance to become successful ?
How having gyms all across the world is a bad thing? That means the sport is growing.
More divisions, more fighters, more events, same fucking thing, it means the sport is growing, if you can't keep up with the sport it's your problem.

You and many "fans" watched this sport years ago thinking they were watching something unique and had a special affection towards some names, but guess what, those big names of the past would very likely get their ass kicked by the Kevin Lee and Darren Till of today.

Yes!!! I miss such great fights like Tito/Matyushenko, Tim/Arloski 3 and Herring/O'Brien. The old days sucked just as bad as ever but people think it was so much better because it was niche.

How having gyms all across the world is a bad thing? That means the sport is growing.
More divisions, more fighters, more events, same fucking thing, it means the sport is growing, if you can't keep up with the sport it's your problem.

You and many "fans" watched this sport years ago thinking they were watching something unique and had a special affection towards some names, but guess what, those big names of the past would very likely get their ass kicked by the Kevin Lee and Darren Till of today.

think you had too many punches to head already,,, did not say anything against the sport growing,, more of the talent pool within the UFC,, and yes todays fighter would most likely beat most of the olden ones who made this sport a break threw in to the main stream, however still your hot ass attitude did not answer my question,

think you had too many punches to head already,,, did not say anything against the sport growing,, more of the talent pool within the UFC,, and yes todays fighter would most likely beat most of the olden ones who made this sport a break threw in to the main stream, however still your hot ass attitude did not answer my question,
Sorry for my attitude, but then what are you complaining about?

Young fighters are still dreaming to sign to the UFC, fighters like Alan Jouban, James Moontasri, Brian Ortega, Pedro Munhoz were all champions in smaller promotions like RFA and Legacy, full of talents that get signed to the UFC when ready.

Yes!!! I miss such great fights like Tito/Matyushenko, Tim/Arloski 3 and Herring/O'Brien. The old days sucked just as bad as ever but people think it was so much better because it was niche.
That's spot on, nostalgia tricks the mind.

The sport is not growing lmao its plateaud.....

Mma was giant in japan.....then pride died....so the US became the big market,....UNTIL the ufc oversaturated the market .Numbers don't lie the ppvs and viewer numbers are down....

I'd much rather have less events of better quality then more and more watered down garbage.

The talent level required to be in the ufc isn't what it once was......they don't know how to market fighters and require them to go WWE SUPERSTAR just to get attention its a shame.

Its no longer ok to be the best you have to LOOK the part and SELL tickets......

If they were marketed properly they wouldn't have a problem....but you have to run your mouth to be noticed.

Not everyone is a street thug or jackass that brags.....some guys are humble martial artists who want to test their skills not create a fucking persona lmao.

Zuffia mob ditched for a reason......mma is not the next American past time its a niche and always will be if its run by people who don't care about anything but the bottim line.

The roster was the size where you knew every fighter and actually were emotionally invested in fights.

I'd take arlovski vs timeh 4 over the entire last japan card lmao.More and more cards feature people who are barely relavent,or wmma which is pretty much the same.....barely relavent.

I used to buy EVERY ufc ppv.....I gladly steam them now since around UFC 200.

Mma isnt expanding the ufc has done a great job creating the illusion its still growing strong.....its not.

The roster was the size where you knew every fighter and actually were emotionally invested in fights.
+1

Loads of guys I've never heard of. Even the guys I've heard of, I've forgotten because there are just too many guys. :)

There are a lot of good fights and fighters. But where am I gonna get time to watch it all?
I used to be one of those "watch every fight on the card" guys.

Main cards need to be good. They start at 3am here. If I watch the FP prelims + prelims I'm about ready for bed.
I'm not staying up until 6am for some of the lacklustre title fights we've had recently.

I'm wondering if maybe Dana should offer champs guaranteed rematches. Maybe then champs might actually ******* fight instead of just hugging their belt for five rounds.

Mma isnt expanding the ufc has done a great job creating the illusion its still growing strong.....its not.

Not expanding now in terms of interest. Still expanding in terms of fighters.

But here's the thing. If you just cut these guys, they'll take their name that they built in the UFC and be fighting for competing organisations.
Even if they are not the top guys, they are guys that people like. How many times do they really want to buy out Coker? ;)

We know he'll just take a few holidays, get bored then start up another organisation. Rinse and repeat.

Back