Has Jon Jones weakened the UFC > PRIDE argument?

Cracks me up how the Pride VS UFC thing is still going on like 10 years later.

It's like arguing about the Bush/Gore election nowadays.

My point was very clear, many guys who fought in PRIDE became champions in the UFC. I don't care who went where first. My problem is people acting like PRIDE was garbage. 90% of those fans are McGregor/Rousey fanboys who never watched PRIDE.

Early UFC was trash as well. It featured one dimensional fighters. No doubt in my mind the fighters today in the UFC are overall better than PRIDE fighters, but the organizations as a whole were pretty even. My point is geared more toward steroid use. To me it's a garbage argument because guys are getting popped left and right in the UFC as well.
They both had good and bad fighters.

Mark Coleman was considered washed up when he left the UFC, but he went on to win the first PRIDE GP.

Many could beat each others fighters on each side. At this point it's all subjective and highly subject to bias.

And many here on Sherdog have been watching the sport when it was called NHB, so don't paint with a broad brush.

They both had good and bad fighters.

Mark Coleman was considered washed up when he left the UFC, but he went on to win the first PRIDE GP.

Many could beat each others fighters on each side. At this point it's all subjective and highly subject to bias.

And many here on Sherdog have been watching the sport when it was called NHB, so don't paint with a broad brush.

And we can list several examples like you said. Anderson Silva posting a 3-2 PRIDE record losing to Chonan and Takase, but becoming the UFC GOAT (to some).

I call it like I see it. You sound like a long time fan. But it's easy to see most (maybe not 90%) are people who never watched PRIDE. When I have to hear things like "Fedor sucked, PRIDE was all fixed and all steroids. etc." it's ridiculous. Then you bring up Silva, Liddell, Rampage, etc. and they have nothing to say.

The only people who think Pride was better are WWE fans.

WWE > Pride >> UFC

giphy.gif

And we can list several examples like you said. Anderson Silva posting a 3-2 PRIDE record losing to Chonan and Takase, but becoming the UFC GOAT (to some).

I call it like I see it. You sound like a long time fan. But it's easy to see most (maybe not 90%) are people who never watched PRIDE. When I have to hear things like "Fedor sucked, PRIDE was all fixed and all steroids. etc." it's ridiculous. Then you bring up Silva, Liddell, Rampage, etc. and they have nothing to say.
You're not calling it like you see it as you're ignoring PRIDE fighters' UFC careers.

It goes both ways

I mean do you want anyone to bring up Crocop's UFC career after he had just won the PRIDE OWGP? How many PRIDE fans claimed he was going to rule the UFC when he was coming over?

Wanderlei Silva?

Heath Herring?

Both orgs had great fighters. Any argument comes down to bias at this point.

i am under no illusion that the ufc is much cleaner than pride

but i steadfastly believe that pride is the lesser of the two and fedor is not the goat.

I remember when Dana sent the GOAT, Chuck Lidell over to Japan to beat The Axe Murderer...only to get DESTROYED by the guy that Wanderlei destroyed twice...

susumu02.jpg

I come from a powerlifting background, where everyone is on shit so excuse me if I'm ignorant.

But aren't all of them on something? Not necessarly during camp but post-fight?

Why would you care if they take stuff? It's available for everyone..

You're not calling it like you see it as you're ignoring PRIDE fighters' UFC careers.

It goes both ways

I mean do you want anyone to bring up Crocop's UFC career after he had just won the PRIDE OWGP? How many PRIDE fans claimed he was going to rule the UFC when he was coming over?

Wanderlei Silva?

Heath Herring?

Both orgs had great fighters. Any argument comes down to bias at this point.

What part of "UFC fighters today are better overall than PRIDE" did you not understand? Did you also skip over "early UFC was trash as well". You did not read my entire post, you nit-picked the parts that paint the UFC negatively and chose to only respond to that point.

Once again, I will underline it so you see: I think the UFC has better overall fighters now than PRIDE did. My point was to say people always want to bring up facts about PRIDE but leave them out when discussing UFC. I think the organizations are/were relatively even. You said it yourself "it goes both ways".

Cro Cop also lost to a rookie Mark Hunt in PRIDE, it's a fight of course anything can happen. And yes as people age they tend to decline. I'm not some Cro Cop fanboy, I really don't care how his career panned out. Speaking of Mark Hunt, there is a guy who entered the UFC at 5-6 and is still a HW contender today. Meanwhile a guy like Wanderlei faded when he returned to the UFC. It does indeed go both ways.

Back