Has Conor help the sport or hurt

PPV is a shitty antiquated system that should fuck off. I genuinely don't care about PPV numbers. ESPN covers the sport more which is more exposure for fighters. Pretty simple.
ESPN effect is yet to be seen.

Conor’s effect on the sport is overrated. His events are huge yes, but those people only watch to see him. He isn’t bringing new eyes to the sport. Look at the numbers the last 2 years. There isn’t a noticeable “Conor bump” like post UFC 100 with the “Lesnar bump”. The Lesnar bump was so significant the next few cards did outstanding following that. UFC 101 almost did a million. UFC 102 did half a mill.

Be interested to see what Mysterio chimes in with...

tenor.gif

Before Conor came in UFC was in decline and dieing. He single handidly made UFC relevant again. Without Conor nobody would know what MMA is

Conor's latest insanity really bugs me. I'm pulling for Conor in this one, but it's getting harder by the day. I don't mind the trash talking, but that presser was just bad.

Clowner has contributed heavily to turning the sport of MMA into a WWE style circus and I don't like that. I hope Khabib or Tony retire his coked up ass.

gtfo.gif

What is the "sport"? If the sport is UFC to you then hell yes. They have over 500 million in PPV revenue from him plus a little bonus from the boxing match.

If the "sport" is MMA, then that remains to be seen. We won't know until someone else can replicate what he did. If they can then he helped for sure, if he is a one off, I don't think so.

I first thought ages ago he was good for the sport and was a quick fix. Then the UFC gave him too much space to be a fuckwit and now he has them by the balls. He almost singlehandedly delegitimised the ranking/belt/titleshot system and made it much more of a wwe shitshow than previously, Therefore damaging the product and shitting on most other fighters who had to do the hard yards.

But in saying all that he has brought many casuals not into sherdog but into gyms. So maybe in the long haul he could be very good. The news in Australia rarely had UFC in the sports until Ronda and Conor. The last presser was even in the news and we have an Australian Champion.

Telling the people that we would have literally killed Khabib and spent years in jail ... that's not really showing sportsmanship to say the least.

He almost singlehandedly delegitimised the ranking/belt/titleshot system and made it much moreof a wwe shitshow than previously, Therefore damaging the product and shitting on most other fighters who had to do the hard yards.
This. The guy literally ran off with two belts ffs.
<{1-8}>

I'm not sure that making your career about you is selfish. I'm 100% sure it's not dickish.

His bringing eyes to the sport is 100% helpful. If the sport can't retain those people it's on them. Imagine you have a single friend and you introduce him to some nice girls, but he just can't make it work... he doesn't have your style or game. That's not on you. You're trying to help, your actions are helpful.

I think it's pretty presumptuous to say that a union would help "the sport". It would hamper the matchmakers' ability to make important fights. It will drive up costs on consumers. It will protect cheaters and inhibit testing. A union will help fighter pay. Not necessarily "the sport".

Casuals can become hardcores, me for example ,I heard freinds talking about connor mcgreger and found out what mma was just after the eddie alvarez fight. Now look at me a full fledged hardcore with a sherdog account.

both.

he helped the sport to grow but at the same time he hurt the sport to get more corrupt like boxing.

Anyone who says he hasn't helped the sport needs to be checked for their biases and their lying

Overall he's done more harm than good.

Holding up two divisions

Making the sport look like a complete joke by looking like a coked up drunk goof

Disappearing for two years and giving boxing all the attention

Anyone who says he hasn't helped the sport needs to be checked for their biases and their lying
Lmao, no. The notion that Conor helped the sport by bringing in casual fans is absolutely false, because these casual fans are not fans of the sport, they're fans of Conor. The disparity in PPV numbers between Conor fights and fights featuring other current champs proves this and if you would claim otherwise, then tell me: where are these "casual fans" that Conor has brought? Why aren't they watching more MMA in general and boosting the overall PPV numbers dramatically?

That's a valid question but not an easy one to answer. It depends on your viewpoint.

I see the trash talk of Conor, Chael and other wannabe's as a degradation to the sport - without honor or respect for your opponent as is taught in traditional Martial Arts. I personally could do without it and wish fighters gave each other more respect. We are seeing the trash talk reach new lows with egregious personal attacks that should not be tolerated let alone encouraged.

On the other hand, if you're Dana White, it's the best Fooking Thing Eva.

For years I've heard fans say that Conor has rasied the bar and helped MMA. For awhile i didnt question this, but now i do.

They say Conor brought new eyes to the sport. If casuals only watch when Conor or Ronda is fighting how does that help MMA overall?

Has Conor helped fighter pay increase? From wht i heard he doesnt want any champs on his ppv cards. So i guess fairly new champs like Thug Rose and Henry who havent seen a big payday can go fuk off.

Does Conor use his power to fight unjust bussiness partices that hurt the fighters? Conor could easily use his power to help undo the shitty Reebok deal. What about Conor joining forces w/ Gsp, Stipe,DJ and TJ to form a real union for fighters?

Look at how Conor held up 2 divisons and was healthy to defend. Did that help the sport? Sure as hell didnt help Hollyoway and Ferguson.

Breaking tradition by not rematching a goat. Well that hurts Conor and the sport. Am just sayin,Conor seems like a selfish dick that doesnt use his power an fame to improve the sport.

Do you see the deals coming in? Conor has completely changed the game. For everyone. For the better.

Initially but now - not so much

When has he advicated for better pay for fighters (outside of himself)?

Now the UFC - to try to get money - resort to CM punks, PED frauds like lesner and jon to try to garner interest.

He hurt the UFC, but helped the sport. Conor's antics created a lot of disdain and turmoil amongst fighters, so some left the UFC and went to Rizin, OneFC, PFL(WSOF), Bellator, etc. which created more competition and options for fighters.

He also set the precedent that you had to talk shit and try to hype a fight in order to get through the rankings.

If Conor was helping altogether, we'd significantly higher ratings per event instead of only when he fights.

Back