Has Conor help the sport or hurt

No 1 bullshit discussion. His fighting abilities are masterful. Outside the octagon he is bringing money to the promotion which is helping the sport no matter what people are trying to think of it.

No 1 bullshit discussion. His fighting abilities are masterful. Outside the octagon he is bringing money to the promotion which is helping the sport no matter what people are trying to think of it.
Helping the UFC isn't automatically helping the sport. Casuals are interested in Conor, not the sport. As I wrote previously, KSI vs. Logan Paul drew the third largest boxing PPV audience, ever. Was it because those 5 million paying viewers are so into the sweet science?

Ali drew 2 billion viewers in 1978. More than the Olympics. More than the World Cup. Was there a bump in boxing popularity after that? I'm sure there was. It's the same with everything. I'm sure some people who saw Avatar in the theater said to their family or friends, this was fun. We should go to the movies more often. But to pretend that Ali's or Conor's masterful fighting abilities translate to an increase in popularity for the sport as a whole is naive.

Nate's rear naked choke on Conor was sort of masterful. Lots of Conor fans don't even consider that a loss, because they Nate cheated. To them, Conor was winning until he lost unfairly. That's some astute MMA observers right there.

Conor’s effect on the sport is overrated. His events are huge yes, but those people only watch to see him. He isn’t bringing new eyes to the sport. Look at the numbers the last 2 years. There isn’t a noticeable “Conor bump” like post UFC 100 with the “Lesnar bump”. The Lesnar bump was so significant the next few cards did outstanding following that. UFC 101 almost did a million. UFC 102 did half a mill.
UFC 101 had two of the most popular fighters in MMA history. But sure let's credit Lesnar for that.

Helped fighter pay, hurt the legitimacy, image, fanbase intelligence, and nearly everything else about the sport.

Conor has done zero harm to the sport of MMA, anyone who thinks he has is a fucking moron.

think of how many new eyes he's brought to the sport. and putting the letters MMA in the forbes list. he's done some very good things for MMA in the long run

Back