Opinion Has anyone ever admitted to being wrong, or changed their views in this forum?

mixmastermo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Seems to me like there is nothing that can change anyone's mind. If someone is in fact proven wrong, they don't respond, they'll go into hiding and try to find another thread to discuss their (wrong) ideas.

Untrue. Over time I have changed a lot of my opinions.

Over the past 15 years or so I have been here I have swung hard right. Then since Trump took office - back to the center.

Seems to me like there is nothing that can change anyone's mind. If someone is in fact proven wrong, they don't respond, they'll go into hiding and try to find another thread to discuss their (wrong) ideas.
Sometimes. I know that my views on individual politicians have shifted in part to things I've seen in these forums. I don't think there are many aboutfaces. I think @Gandhi 's views have shifted meaningfully over time, and he has attributed that a bit to conversations here.

If someone is in fact proven wrong, they don't respond, they'll go into hiding and try to find another thread to discuss their (wrong) ideas.
It wasnt enough for you to prove me wrong and change my mind, but now you want a public lament from me?

fine take it
INkDDs.gif

I have. Some very intelligent people in here. I'm always open to other opinions provided they're in line with mine. Jk

Yes. I have.

Very rarely, sadly those who most need to change their views and are wrong factually most often are the least likely to admit being wrong.

Yes. I didn't really care that much about Bernie Sanders and, at first glance, he seemed to pushing a pipe dream but I wasn't really sure. I didn't think he'd have a chance against Clinton so I didn't care to spend time looking into him.

After seeing post after post of @Jack V Savage 's I decided that maybe Bernie was someone to pay attention to. Unfortunately, when I started to read into Bernie it became clear that he really was as bad and as uneducated as Jack said he was. I was disappointed but I have to give it to him.

This has been posted before. I don't blame them, it's not easy to reverse brainwashing. We have been brainwashed on a global scale for decades, it'll take just as much if not more, to reverse it.

Ron & Rand Paul (I used to support them)
Citizens United (I'm leaning toward it being the right decision)
Allying with Russia (Used to think it was time for us to try)
Both-sides/They're all the same (This was my most egregious mistake)
Cops were getting worse (They're probably getting a lot better)
Government is too big (It's a little too "small" [scope, not raw size] and there is far too little representation)

Some of that goes back to like '08-'10, a couple were more recent changes of mind

Anybody should able to find things they were wrong about, considering what has happened to information & communication since mobile

I’ve turned the corner on gun control. I think I’ve also been influenced on taxation. I am much more centrist and less right than I used to be, and this forum is one reason.

No, they just change user names, and no one knows its the same person, and that way no one has to admit they are wrong.

I don't say things I don't believe. I can respect other points of view but no one here has changed my mind on anything political.

Professional pollsters like the Gallup deliberately sample from the broad range to avoid this; polling people from all geographies, races, genders, and earning levels to avoid skewed polls.
Fair points. As a summary,what I’ve learned in this thread..

My views on police are complex but I have a lot more to learn and for that thank you. Nothing makes me happier then re reading some of my posts and saying to myself “hmmm I didn’t think this through” in short I really like being educated.

Here’s one from Just this morning ^^^^ @Madmick and i had a debate about police /etc.

Some of us are here for intelligent debate and critical thinking..few though

You're not paying attention to how people go about changing their minds.

Yes, minds are changed here, but rarely the ones involved in (and particularly those losing) a debate. But people don't tend to grow in fires; personal growth is personal. Minds change only of their own volition. This is why creating books or documentaries is a much, much more effective way to go about changing minds if that is your sincere goal-- especially the minds worth changing. A mind ready to change will seek you out, not the other way around.

Not a common occurrence on this site... and even when people are proven wrong they politely exit the thread and conversation without any acknowledgement.

Back