Opinion Has anyone ever admitted to being wrong, or changed their views in this forum?

Seems to me like there is nothing that can change anyone's mind. If someone is in fact proven wrong, they don't respond, they'll go into hiding and try to find another thread to discuss their (wrong) ideas.

I was shown that my ideas on R’s and D’s historical positions (especially this century) on debt aren’t what I thought they were.

I was all for Obama care due to the fact I have universal health care but a couple of posters on here laid it out for me and turns out Obama care was garbage.

I have changed alot and if I listed. You will all be shocked.

Last edited:
Yes. I didn't really care that much about Bernie Sanders and, at first glance, he seemed to pushing a pipe dream but I wasn't really sure. I didn't think he'd have a chance against Clinton so I didn't care to spend time looking into him.

After seeing post after post of @Jack V Savage 's I decided that maybe Bernie was someone to pay attention to. Unfortunately, when I started to read into Bernie it became clear that he really was as bad and as uneducated as Jack said he was. I was disappointed but I have to give it to him.

Hmmm. Troll attempt or honest mistake? Guess it doesn't matter.

As for the thread, many times. I don't think people are changing their values here, but I think most of us have corrected things here and there a lot.

Certainly.

I've been swayed re corporate tax rates, firearm regulation, and probably numerous other issues that don't come to mind.

Also, I used to insist that Trump was a better (less awful) potential president than Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio. Boy, was i fucking wrong.

Ron & Rand Paul (I used to support them)

<36>

Citizens United (I'm leaning toward it being the right decision)

Good lord, why?

Unless the data and subsequent legal and policy analyses have dramatically changed since I studied it in law school, it seems pretty open-and-close indefensible in terms of effect. Are you meaning to distinguish it from SpeechNOW, which seems to be the more insidious logical extension of CU? Even without addressing the distortion in where funding comes from and how it's tracked, don't you at least think it facially undermines the integrity of US elections when you have candidates like Jeb Bush openly nodding and winking toward contributing to PACs that he must legally insist are not coordinated with his political efforts?

He's a natural born cuck

You mean he was a natural born cuck. He's in ghost mode now

giphy.gif

<36>

Good lord, why?

Unless the data and subsequent legal and policy analyses have dramatically changed since I studied it in law school, it seems pretty open-and-close indefensible in terms of effect. Are you meaning to distinguish it from SpeechNOW, which seems to be the more insidious logical extension of CU? Even without addressing the distortion in where funding comes from and how it's tracked, don't you at least think it facially undermines the integrity of US elections when you have candidates like Jeb Bush openly nodding and winking toward contributing to PACs that he must legally insist are not coordinated with his political efforts?
In short, my concern about CU was that it would have a corporatizing effect on our candidates and elections and they would go full status quo and undermine the voting public. But what we've actually seen is populism and fringe politics. I'll keep watching, but right now whatever effect CU might have had, the bigger relevant effects in politics are more to do with gerrymandering and the internet, and the possibly fatal weakening of the parties.

In short, my concern about CU was that it would have a corporatizing effect on our candidates and elections and they would go full status quo and undermine the voting public. But what we've actually seen is populism and fringe politics. I'll keep watching, but right now whatever effect CU might have had, the bigger relevant effects in politics are more to do with gerrymandering and the internet, and the possibly fatal weakening of the parties.

Well, corporate contributions were always constrained by the independent business judgments of corporate executives and paled in amount to private citizens' donations. The "corporate personhood" color to the argument was always more rhetorical than proportionate to the feared consequences.

Also, all of the faux-populists on the right, like Trump, have completely furthered indefensible pro-business policies, even if their rhetoric capitalized on concerns sprouting directly from the effects of those policies. I mean, if you need a clear picture of the disgusting effects of the CU/SpeechNOW age, just look at fucking Eric Greitens. He was a pretty boy liberal who became a pro-business conservative juggernaut overnight on the back of millions of dollars of dark money.

I've had my mind changed on one thing here and one thing only.

I used to believe the hard left were Americans and were human beings. No longer do I believe this and this forum is one of the reasons.

Infidels and pigs.

Well, corporate contributions were always constrained by the independent business judgments of corporate executives and paled in amount to private citizens' donations. The "corporate personhood" color to the argument was always more rhetorical than proportionate to the feared consequences.

Also, all of the faux-populists on the right, like Trump, have completely furthered indefensible pro-business policies, even if their rhetoric capitalized on concerns sprouting directly from the effects of those policies. I mean, if you need a clear picture of the disgusting effects of the CU/SpeechNOW age, just look at fucking Eric Greitens. He was a pretty boy liberal who became a pro-business conservative juggernaut overnight on the back of millions of dollars of dark money.
I accept that as a plausible argument and I don't even have a problem with it. My feeling is that the rise of "Independents" and the catastrophe of radical, sorta-fascism caused by gerrymandering is a wave all its own. You have to be a nut job to win a primary now. The country is moving in exactly the direction the Republicans have been pushing for over 30 years- and successfully now on the back of a spineless Executive. So, I can't separate the causal relationships in all of this. Remove money from politics and it might be even more radical. Remove Trump and somebody might actually have the balls to say "no" to a Republican.

tl/dr I think CU is theoretically unsound but I see no strong evidence that's the case.

I've had my mind changed on one thing here and one thing only.

I used to believe the hard left were Americans and were human beings. No longer do I believe this and this forum is one of the reasons.

Infidels and pigs.
I can respect that!

I'll change my mind, but you better come with well researched evidence.

Ron & Rand Paul (I used to support them)
Citizens United (I'm leaning toward it being the right decision)
Allying with Russia (Used to think it was time for us to try)
Both-sides/They're all the same (This was my most egregious mistake)
Cops were getting worse (They're probably getting a lot better)
Government is too big (It's a little too "small" [scope, not raw size] and there is far too little representation)

Some of that goes back to like '08-'10, a couple were more recent changes of mind

Anybody should able to find things they were wrong about, considering what has happened to information & communication since mobile

Ron Paul's a big one for me too. JVS set me straight on him.

I was pro Iraq war.

I used to think the right were better economic managers.

I used to think people were smarter than they are.

Yes. I didn't really care that much about Bernie Sanders and, at first glance, he seemed to pushing a pipe dream but I wasn't really sure. I didn't think he'd have a chance against Clinton so I didn't care to spend time looking into him.

After seeing post after post of @Jack V Savage 's I decided that maybe Bernie was someone to pay attention to. Unfortunately, when I started to read into Bernie it became clear that he really was as bad and as uneducated as Jack said he was. I was disappointed but I have to give it to him.

I don't remember @Jack V Savage ever having a high opinion of Bernie Sanders. He's always had a thing for Hillary Clinton.

I've admitted to being wrong here more than once.

I don't remember @Jack V Savage ever having a high opinion of Bernie Sanders. He's always had a thing for Hillary Clinton.
I think he's implying that because JVS was critical of him that, I guess by virtue of JVS always being wrong in his pea brain, Bernie might be worth considering.

Back