Hans Zimmer is the Led Zeppelin of film soundtracks

PubliusVentidius

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was listening to this track yesterday and I was like ''this sounds familiar'', then I read the comments and others remarked that indeed it sounds exactly like Hans Zimmer's Interstellar theme. Riley's track came out 40 years ago.

Terry Riley's original creation: 50k views

Hans Zimmer's stolen track: 52 million views

This is how the world works, folks.

Screen-Shot-2017-03-31-at-12.28.52-AM.png

The Inception theme too is such a blatant rip off I'm amazed.

I feel two ways about it. Zimmer is definitely a shameless ripoff artist; at the same time, the world is better off for having the Inception score in it for example. Even hearing them right next to each other, it just makes me want to go listen to his score. He took something from someone else, yes, but he also improved on it by leaps & bounds.

It’s a lot like Tarantino, who directly, shamelessly rips off other writers & filmmakers still to this day, and yet his finished work is so great as to be undeniable.

I definitely feel for the original creators though. They deserve some credit, and money.

I feel two ways about it. Zimmer is definitely a shameless ripoff artist; at the same time, the world is better off for having the Inception score in it for example. Even hearing them right next to each other, it just makes me want to go listen to his score. He took something from someone else, yes, but he also improved on it by leaps & bounds.

It’s a lot like Tarantino, who directly, shamelessly rips off other writers & filmmakers still to this day, and yet his finished work is so great as to be undeniable.

I definitely feel for the original creators though. They deserve some credit, and money.

Really though that Interstellar track is pretty shameless, the vast majority of what makes the ZImmerman track anygood is nicked from the Riley one which isn't the case with Tarantinos films or indeed even Zep.

Staying with Tarantino though I do seem to remember that the lifted music from Badlands was acknowledged at the time and I wouldn't be supprised if QT himself suggested it given that True Romance obviously has a good deal of influence from Malick's film.

Take one positive from this thread Sherdog and watch Badlands if you haven't, even if you think modern Malick is pretentious libcuck nonsense I suspect you might well like it, Martin Sheen is amazing in it.

Last edited:
He's become massively overrated due to his association with Nolan films.
The most unique work he's done that I have heard are his scores for The Ring and Paperhouse.

but he also improved on it by leaps & bounds.

In what way? Idk how to quantify obvious improvements in music unless the 1st one was a total crap. The only thing I could see him "improving" them is by brand association. Attaching his name and...works on a more prestigious production.

I don't see a problem, the original artist can always sue if they want to.

I've played his tracks backwards and have yet to hear the call to sweet satan...

I love the batman theme.

Quietttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

to quote the immortal Rob Van Winkle:
'their song goes dun dun dun duddadun dun'
'mine goes dun dun dun duddadun dun tst' 'it's that little tst, it's totally different'

There are only so many notes to play in a chord progression. Its close but I wouldnt say directly ripped off from it. He may have just like the chord progression.

The difference is Led Zeppelin is actually good.

In what way? Idk how to quantify obvious improvements in music unless the 1st one was a total crap. The only thing I could see him "improving" them is by brand association. Attaching his name and...works on a more prestigious production.

His instrumentation is often inspired - the horns on Inception for example, are just glorious - and his arrangements are truly meticulous, lots of high-level stuff going on in his work that can’t just be attributed to budget. He’s definitely a great artist, even if he is also a shallow ripoff artist that deserves a punch in the nose.

John Williams is the Led Zeppelin of scoring film. Hans Zimmer is Sigur Ros.

Back