Guys who combine Kickboxing with TaeKwonDo = nightmares?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have this student in my school who's base is kickboxing but also trains ITF TaeKwondo, and in my opinion, this mix makes him a very unpleasent sparring partner.

Not only does he have the surprise element from TKD back kicks, but also unorthodox head and body movement coming in which I can't read. He reads me however perfectly. This would have never existed in a pure TKD base, nor would his kicking fluidity from any angle and any position be that great.

What are your guys experience with guys doing both KB and TKD. Are they tougher to deal with than pure kickboxers?

This is anecdotal, but in my experience it is difficult to deal with. It's pretty rare that I straight up don't see a shot coming, but usually its is a TKD kick that lands. They just come from different angles than expected I think. No defense is 100% though, you're always going to be dealing with risk. I try to do my best to mitigate with distance, but I have a regular sparring partner that lands spinning back kicks when I try to close the distance (he's Southpaw and throws them when I step off to my right to cut the angle).

This is anecdotal, but in my experience it is difficult to deal with. It's pretty rare that I straight up don't see a shot coming, but usually its is a TKD kick that lands. They just come from different angles than expected I think. No defense is 100% though, you're always going to be dealing with risk. I try to do my best to mitigate with distance, but I have a regular sparring partner that lands spinning back kicks when I try to close the distance (he's Southpaw and throws them when I step off to my right to cut the angle).

Same here. It's as if the hole was filled, that is the boxing, and now suddenly TKD is a real danger.

Heh this same dude I spar with is basically a Southpaw boxer with well timed TKD kicks. He's super weird to train with lol. Luckily he has awesome control and is a good dude. We have a lot of fun when we spar. In a real fight under Thai rules he would be in some trouble from leg kicks (he stands very bladed), but in sparring where you aren't just gonna spam leg kicks he is super difficult to deal with. Try mixing in a jab immediately followed by an uppercut (no power, mostly just an upward flip of the wrist) to disrupt him. I do that to kind of stunt his attacks, and then follow with hooks (I like to go liver or right temple) or a body/rear leg kick. For me those land well, but you'll have to play around with it I would imagine.

Heh this same dude I spar with is basically a Southpaw boxer with well timed TKD kicks. He's super weird to train with lol. Luckily he has awesome control and is a good dude. We have a lot of fun when we spar. In a real fight under Thai rules he would be in some trouble from leg kicks (he stands very bladed), but in sparring where you aren't just gonna spam leg kicks he is super difficult to deal with. Try mixing in a jab immediately followed by an uppercut (no power, mostly just an upward flip of the wrist) to disrupt him. I do that to kind of stunt his attacks, and then follow with hooks (I like to go liver or right temple) or a body/rear leg kick. For me those land well, but you'll have to play around with it I would imagine.

What do you think about bulldozing him like a Kyokushin-kai? To cut off his space for kicks. Do I run the risk of getting a roundhouse to the back of my head`?

The Thai Guys don't want to admit it, but it's very much true. A TKD guy who trains in Boxing and Muay Thai has added weapons/techniques.

The Thai Guys don't want to admit it, but it's very much true. A TKD guy who trains in Boxing and Muay Thai has added weapons/techniques.

True that is why i am going to train my son in TKD and muaythai. Can't wait till he grows up. He is going to bull doze those thais at lumpini with his added techniques and weapons.Those one dimensional thais are not gonna know what hit them. My son is gonna be the new generation TKD ramon dekkers.

mods are trolls for moving this kind of threads to here

True that is why i am going to train my son in TKD and muaythai. Can't wait till he grows up. He is going to bull doze those thais at lumpini with his added techniques and weapons.Those one dimensional thais are not gonna know what hit them. My son is gonna be the new generation TKD ramon dekkers.
lol

Absolutely man, personally I don't want my son in a sport that requires being hit, I'm going to try to get him to become a cardiologist and pull in 200 to 300k a year lol. But if I was going to put my son to compete in Muay Thai competitions, I'd definitely get him to do TKD along with Boxing and Muay Thai.

Best kicks I've ever encountered in my life, was against a TKD guy who was already in his 50's, not even some high level Muay Thai guys at my gym who are actually internationally known, kicked as good as that TKD guy. Of course he had absolutely no hands, clinch game, etc so he obviously wasn't going to be competitive in a full blown fight, but if you took his kicking skills and implemented them to a Muay Thai fighter, they would only be better.

Absolutely man, personally I don't want my son in a sport that requires being hit, I'm going to try to get him to become a cardiologist and pull in 200 to 300k a year lol. But if I was going to put my son to compete in Muay Thai competitions, I'd definitely get him to do TKD along with Boxing and Muay Thai.

Best kicks I've ever encountered in my life, was against a TKD guy who was already in his 50's, not even some high level Muay Thai guys at my gym who are actually internationally known, kicked as good as that TKD guy. Of course he had absolutely no hands, clinch game, etc so he obviously wasn't going to be competitive in a full blown fight, but if you took his kicking skills and implemented them to a Muay Thai fighter, they would only be better.
Who were those internationally known guys?

Yeah these TKD guys are taking over, like um....Pettis and...yeah heaps of guys. Thais are getting knocked out left and right.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. Bruce Lee

People talk about combining this combining that but don't realize that simplifying something and perfecting it with repetition is more beneficial.

Who were those internationally known guys?

In MMA there's been a few, not in Muay Thai though, and lets be honest, if they're mixing striking arts, they'll most likely compete in MMA instead of going straight to Muay Thai. But if they did go to Muay Thai, we don't know what would happen, but I would speculate they'd be competitive.

Yeah these TKD guys are taking over, like um....Pettis and...yeah heaps of guys. Thais are getting knocked out left and right.

Pettis, Anderson Silva, Uriah Hall, Mirko Crocop, Edson Barboza, Benson Henderson, Cung Lee, Bas Rutten, (and Joe Rogan haha) I'm quite sure there are other fighters I haven't mentioned. We've seen Tae Kwon Do/Karate style kicks effective in fights, we know these move works, and though I don't think they'll make it to Muay Thai though, because of how traditional Muay Thai, there is also the fact that fighters who mix styles seem to go to MMA or Kickboxing. But if you got a Guy like say... Saenchai, and gave him some TKD/Karate kicks in his regime along with all his Muay Thai skills set, I feel that could only help him be more unpredictable.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. Bruce Lee

People talk about combining this combining that but don't realize that simplifying something and perfecting it with repetition is more beneficial.

I agree... to some extent. People say the same about boxing, but yet we know a shitty low level MMA fighter (even one with mediocre grappling) has a really good chance of taking down even a high level boxer and then wrecking him on the ground. A top boxer can also be wrecked by a mid-level Muay Thai guy even standing up. Once you learn certain things to the point you keep doing the same thing over and over again in your career, it's time to expand your skill set. And though kicking is of no importance to a guy looking to compete in boxing, and submission grappling is of no importance for a guy seeking only to compete in Muay Thai.... A higher repertoire of kicks, especially ones that Thai don't train for or see often, can only help. I can't find the videos by themselves, but in those shitty Knock out compilations I've seen at least two decent Thai fighters get knocked out by kick-boxers (who most likely come from TKD/Karate Backgrounds) via spinning heel kicks.

In MMA there's been a few, not in Muay Thai though, and lets be honest, if they're mixing striking arts, they'll most likely compete in MMA instead of going straight to Muay Thai. But if they did go to Muay Thai, we don't know what would happen, but I would speculate they'd be competitive.

Pettis, Anderson Silva, Uriah Hall, Mirko Crocop, Edson Barboza, Benson Henderson, Cung Lee, Bas Rutten, (and Joe Rogan haha) I'm quite sure there are other fighters I haven't mentioned. We've seen Tae Kwon Do/Karate style kicks effective in fights, we know these move works, and though I don't think they'll make it to Muay Thai though, because of how traditional Muay Thai, there is also the fact that fighters who mix styles seem to go to MMA or Kickboxing. But if you got a Guy like say... Saenchai, and gave him some TKD/Karate kicks in his regime along with all his Muay Thai skills set, I feel that could only help him be more unpredictable.

I agree... to some extent. People say the same about boxing, but yet we know a shitty low level MMA fighter (even one with mediocre grappling) has a really good chance of taking down even a high level boxer and then wrecking him on the ground. A top boxer can also be wrecked by a mid-level Muay Thai guy even standing up. Once you learn certain things to the point you keep doing the same thing over and over again in your career, it's time to expand your skill set. And though kicking is of no importance to a guy looking to compete in boxing, and submission grappling is of no importance for a guy seeking only to compete in Muay Thai.... A higher repertoire of kicks, especially ones that Thai don't train for or see often, can only help. I can't find the videos by themselves, but in those shitty Knock out compilations I've seen at least two decent Thai fighters get knocked out by kick-boxers (who most likely come from TKD/Karate Backgrounds) via spinning heel kicks.

you have to be trolling mate,you have to be

you have to be trolling mate,you have to be

Well luckily for me I follow MMA more instead of just Muay Thai so I'm always seeing new developments.

I remember when people said only Muay Thai works in mma. And we've had plenty of guys come in and prove otherwise.

Well luckily for me I follow MMA more instead of just Muay Thai so I'm always seeing new developments.

I remember when people said only Muay Thai works in mma. And we've had plenty of guys come in and prove otherwise.
you never really watched Muay Thai

what you see in MMA is not muay thai,i mean,real Muay Thai

there isnt too much real talented stand up fighters in MMA,so you cant measure it at their levels

you never really watched Muay Thai

what you see in MMA is not muay thai,i mean,real Muay Thai

there isnt too much real talented stand up fighters in MMA,so you cant measure it at their levels

"You never really watched Muay Thai"

Way to start off with logical fallacies , I watch actual Muay Thai often, not k1 from back in the day, not Glory, but ACTUAL muay thai.

As a matter of fact I practice it and have had ammy muay thai fights. It doesn't take a genious to understand that having a higher repertoire of kicks and set ups in your arsenal can only help you in Muay Thai. That's all I'm saying.

And we have seen at least one legit Muay Thai fighter in MMA and his striking was lackluster.

"You never really watched Muay Thai"

Way to start off with logical fallacies , I watch actual Muay Thai often, not k1 from back in the day, not Glory, but ACTUAL muay thai.

As a matter of fact I practice it and have had ammy muay thai fights. It doesn't take a genious to understand that having a higher repertoire of kicks and set ups in your arsenal can only help you in Muay Thai. That's all I'm saying.

And we have seen at least one legit Muay Thai fighter in MMA and his striking was lackluster.
what do you consider Muay Thai?

who was the legit Muay Thai fighter in mma that you say?

Back