Crime Guy RNCed on NY subway dies.

Finding Jordan Neely

Not to totally rehash the contentious debate from earlier in the year, but there is a New York Magazine article that goes into the life of Jordan Neely -- the guy who was choked to death on the subway -- detailing some new information about his life and the incident. I didn't want to create a new thread in order to posit my opinion.

It's clear that outreach workers, many of whom had come into contact with Jordan, were both without options and naive (iirc the article flat out says many of them dislike the police). You see, Jordan had exhausted most of the measures used to keep mentally ill people off the streets whilst simultaneously trying to get them on track, not unlike the program the judge put Neely into before he was killed. But the guy was a menace to the community. He should have been a 'call the police asap' case. Sadly, the type of care that he required, talking about long term (real long term, like life), isn't available.

The guy was running around NYC as dirty as can be, attacking elderly people, and panhandling, all without a support system, because his mother was tragically killed by her shitbag boyfriend and the community couldn't truly intercede. Being a judge is tough, but in hindsight, he should have never been let out of Rikers, no matter the overflow. Again, hindsight.

I would like to see a follow-up on Daniel Penny featuring similar coverage. I bet there's a similar buildup, too, that would lead to a man holding a choke for as long as he did, even after the guy (Jordan) stopped moving.

Finding Jordan Neely

Not to totally rehash the contentious debate from earlier in the year, but there is a New York Magazine article that goes into the life of Jordan Neely -- the guy who was choked to death on the subway -- detailing some new information about his life and the incident. I didn't want to create a new thread in order to posit my opinion.

It's clear that outreach workers, many of whom had come into contact with Jordan, were both without options and naive (iirc the article flat out says many of them dislike the police). You see, Jordan had exhausted most of the measures used to keep mentally ill people off the streets whilst simultaneously trying to get them on track, not unlike the program the judge put Neely into before he was killed. But the guy was a menace to the community. He should have been a 'call the police asap' case. Sadly, the type of care that he required, talking about long term (real long term, like life), isn't available.

The guy was running around NYC as dirty as can be, attacking elderly people, and panhandling, all without a support system, because his mother was tragically killed by her shitbag boyfriend and the community couldn't truly intercede. Being a judge is tough, but in hindsight, he should have never been let out of Rikers, no matter the overflow. Again, hindsight.

I would like to see a follow-up on Daniel Penny featuring similar coverage. I bet there's a similar buildup, too, that would lead to a man holding a choke for as long as he did, even after the guy (Jordan) stopped moving.
This is it isn't it? There was no referee involved to step in. When you wield a move like that you know when he's out and to back off after that or he could die.

Finding Jordan Neely

Thanks for posting this. I just read the article. It’s well researched and quite lengthy.

You probably won’t see a similar article about Penny. Maybe the Post would do it.

No matter how anyone feels, I think we can all agree that you can’t have a guy like that wandering the city and subways. It was just a disaster waiting to happen, and it happened.

Nah, not in this case. It was self-defense and the metro is safer now without that career criminal scaring everyone.
A jury will decide if it was self defense and if the use of deadly force was was justified.

A jury will decide if it was self defense and if the use of deadly force was was justified.

What do you think? Definitely seems like self defence to me but despite the victim being a shithead criminal I think they have to rule that the force used was excessive.

What do you think? Definitely seems like self defence to me but despite the victim being a shithead criminal I think they have to rule that the force used was excessive.
I pretty much agree with you. I don’t think he intended to kill the guy. I think it would be fucked up to have not charged him.

Penny shouldn't be punished because the justice system is failing and useless. Give him a medal and move on was the right move. If he hadn't killed Neely he'd likely be on the streets hitting old women today. When the government refuses to lock these guys up for good, this is what can, will and should happen. It's just a shame that a good man will be punished for it.

I live it and see it every week. A guy steps onto the train and starts his shit, and everyone puts their heads down and hope he leaves after he threatens people. Last week a barefoot homeless guy dances with a cup and expects handouts. If you don't put change in the cup he was spitting on people. I have seen it go both ways, sometimes they are just talk, sometimes they aren't. This guy Jordan threatened to kill people and stated he was willing to go to jail. I believed him. Truth is they are usually so filthy and smell so bad you don't want to get near them. The ex-Marine defended the train. He should be exonerated. If he did not intercede a normal citizen could have been attacked or killed like so many others have this year. I feel bad this tragedy happened, but you can't let mentally ill violent people run around terrorizing people like they do now. Many have weapons like knives and axes. Unfortunately a lot of these people have medical conditions brought on by their addictions and illnesses that cause them to die during altercations faster than a healthy perp. The city is trying to curb the issue but they need to make it a law that homeless are not allowed in Stations and on train cars where they are sleeping, vomiting, pooping and in some cases doing drugs requiring needles. There needs to be places to bring these folks, and if they don't agree, jail them. It has gotten to be too dangerous.

Just in the last 3 months in NYC trains/stations:
16 People have been pushed onto tracks. 25 all of last year were pushed.
2 Conductors have been attacked with weapons.
388 Total incidents were reported from Jan 1 to March 2rd, up 13% from last year.
Homeless in the Subways and stations was way up over the same time last year.

Penny shouldn't be punished because the justice system is failing and useless. Give him a medal and move on was the right move. If he hadn't killed Neely he'd likely be on the streets hitting old women today. When the government refuses to lock these guys up for good, this is what can, will and should happen. It's just a shame that a good man will be punished for it.
Yep...Penny shouldn't have even been arrested and we need more people like him in society...not less.

Most of these crazy dudes on trains just need a good ass kicking. They are like bullies on the playground, it emboldens them when people put their heads down and say nothing.
Agreed but you have to keep in mind as soon as you engage with these psychos your risk for contracting a communicable disease goes up substantially. These aren't clean and healthy people. The risk isn't about losing the fight its catching some bullshit in the process.

Back