Gus' footwork looked terrible! Hasn't fixed any of the old flaws.

Western boxing is his base style and he was a champ in sweden. His boxing was on full display in the jones fight too. I think he just had a very off night or needs to change camps. He knows how to box better than 99% of mma fighters.
Disagree. You can't be considered a good boxer with bad footwork. Any good boxing coach will start you out on footwork drills before you throw a single punch.

Western boxing is his base style and he was a champ in sweden. His boxing was on full display in the jones fight too. I think he just had a very off night or needs to change camps. He knows how to box better than 99% of mma fighters.
the problem is he doesnt have a cross. When someone is just following you around, you should be able to make them walk into a cross. Conor for example has a great cross. Gus's only good punches imo are the jab and uppercut.

You need to re-watch the fight. It was basically even up to round 4 and Gus was winning that round until the spinning elbow.
That came down to who you give round 4 to. Do you give it to Gus who won 4 of 5 minutes or Jones who did the most significant damage in the final minute of the round (actually cracked him so hard he was out for round 5)?

Jones 1/5
Gus 2/3
Who do you give 4 to?

I gave it to Gus but I completely understand how Jones got it.

Results are the only thing numb nuts.
No, they are not. You will get good results with shit technique only against lesser fighters. The elites will murk you every time.

lol at thinking fights with jones and cormier would look anything like that. Guys like Rumble and Glover can put the pressure to make him do that. they are KO artists.

Disagree. You can't be considered a good boxer with bad footwork. Any good boxing coach will start you out on footwork drills before you throw a single punch.

This is very true. I just don't remember his foot work being bad before. I was too impressed by seeing a fighter that knows how to punch as opposed to some idiot brawler. I will watch the tapes of the jones fight for reference.

You grossly exaggerate how well Gus was doing. The fight was mostly even up to the elbow. I think everyone was just shocked the Jones wasn't dominating the way he had done up to that point.
I disagree, I had Gus winning the first 3 rounds with his double and triple jabs. The mma judges over score those slappy leg kicks jones does. Punches to the face should be favored.

Perhaps. I saw it again a few years ago and remember thinking Jones ended up winning overall a lot more decisively than I originally thought (a clear 3 rounds to 2 for Jones, don't know why people still claim it was a robbery), but in the rounds Gus won he made it look pretty easy (from what I remember)

I mean round 4 was dramatic. Jones is losing the round, no question. The narrative began to be he is going to lose his belt. Than Bang came the elbow. Just dug deep in a classic fight..

I thought his footwork was okay, he was light on his feet with lot's of movement, isn't that what you expect from someone fighting Glover? I would of liked to see him work off the jab more though like a boxer, I think if he had of circled more side to side while snapping a nice crisp jab he could of kept Glover from closing the distance and not had to keep running backwards as much. Also if he had a wicked jab to use to set up those uppercuts and other strikes it would make him even more dangerous as a striker.

This is very true. I just don't remember his foot work being bad before. I was too impressed by seeing a fighter that knows how to punch as opposed to some idiot brawler. I will watch the tapes of the jones fight for reference.
Gus has many great attributes in his boxing. It's why he's gotten this far despite his flaws. He has a sharp jab and a crisp uppercut, two punches very underused in MMA and hence unexpected by most opponents.

I think his movement has gotten worse as a result of the Rumble knockout. He's become much more cautious and it's making him run more.

A good coach would have chanelled that caution into good defensive movement. But he doesn't seem to be getting proper training in that area.

a clear 3 rounds to 2 for Jones
Which ones?

I think Gus won the first 3.
(But it's damn hard to judge as Gus often started strong and Jones often finished strong.
Maybe one of them was a 10-10)

Jones obviously won the 5th.
I'll also let him steal the 4th. Because it truly seemed like he could've finished Gus had it not been for the bell.

Last edited:
I don't think TS is giving Gus enough credit for his offensive boxing, he's very good in that department, that said, you're right regarding his flaws.

Results are the only thing numb nuts.

Results in this fight doesn't necessarily mean results in his next fight.

He got away with things here that he might not have if he was fighting a better fighter.

I thought his footwork was okay, he was light on his feet with lot's of movement, isn't that what you expect from someone fighting Glover? I would of liked to see him work off the jab more though like a boxer, I think if he had of circled more side to side while snapping a nice crisp jab he could of kept Glover from closing the distance and not had to keep running backwards as much. Also if he had a wicked jab to use to set up those uppercuts and other strikes it would make him even more dangerous as a striker.
There's such a thing as moving too much. The inefficient backpedaling and running is part of why Gus faded against Jones and Cormier.

A good coach would have chanelled that caution into good defensive movement. But he doesn't seem to be getting proper training in that area.
Very true.
During the breaks in the Glover fight I heard his coach telling him to keep resetting to the center of the octagon.

So the coach is the one actively promoting running as a tactic
There's such a thing as moving too much. The inefficient backpedaling and running is part of why Gus faded against Jones and Cormier.
Yeah.
Gus claimed he could do 10 rounds against Glover with the same movement.

But when he's fighting Jones and DC it's a different story.
He was dead tired in the 5th.

I don't think TS is giving Gus enough credit for his offensive boxing, he's very good in that department, that said, you're right regarding his flaws.
You're right. His offensive boxing is relatively good, combined with his length it makes him a fearsome opponent even with his footwork flaws.

This fight was more a showcase of where the Light Heavyweight division is at... both guys looked bad, imo.
Goddammit, I believe both Misha and Oezdemir would maul both of them at this point. Let them bang bro!

Very true.
During the breaks in the Glover fight I heard his coach telling him to keep resetting to the center of the octagon.

So the coach is the one actively promoting running as a tactic
Joanna J showed a textbook example of how to reset to the center in her fight against Andrade. Pivots and sidesteps. Not running wth your back turned, just begging to be tackled or hit from behind.

Yup, it was pretty clear that Gus looks the same but some people are losing their shit over someone who spammed uppercuts against another dude who can't change his gameplan even if he eats 50 uppercuts in a row. Even Rumbles said it was pretty clear Glover is opened for uppercut and yet Glover still didn't fix that. It was an easy fight for Gus.

And seems like everybody forgot how DC was catching Gus while running in the later rounds and snapping his head back badly. Gus tried that shit and it failed.

Jones and DC still win over Gus. Rumble too.

This fight was more a showcase of where the Light Heavyweight division is at... both guys looked bad, imo.
Goddammit, I believe both Misha and Oezdemir would maul both of them at this point. Let them bang bro!
I would like to see Oezdemir vs Gus. That Oezdemir dude seems legit

Back