Gunni throwing shade at Bisping, Woodley, Aldo

Gunni lost to Rick Story. What's your point?

It was a very close SD. I got Gunnar winning 3-2 despite being KDed in the 5th.

nelson-story-pic.png

Fights like Shields with 15 finishes in 16 wins? Is this in some other universe?

Meaning grappling/sub based. Shields is kind of like Maia, is content to just hang on rather than risk losing position

Woodley fights nothing like Rick Story. Gunnar fights like Jake Shields

I think Shields fights pretty similarly to Maia, except he's not as good at finishing the submission. He is really good at tying people up and controlling them, and he uses his sub-par striking in the same way that Maia does, setting up a grapple or a TD.

Gunni is both better at and likes to strike more than either of those two. He has great submissions but I don't think the mastery of control is there yet.

Tyron is no joke. Thompson adopted that ultra conservative defensive style for a reason. Tyron has big power, and he's not an easy person to take-down. Not saying Gunni beating him is impossible, but I don't see him getting too far with striking. He uses a karate stance, and Tyron just fought one of the better karate users in MMA. In my opinion, Gunnar would have to try and turn the fight into a grappling match to win. Surviving to that point aint easy, and Tyron has improved quite a bit since those loses. Pressure is probably Tyron's biggest weakness, and Gunni seems more reactive in the way he fights.

I think it would be an interesting fight, but Tyron got where he's at for a reason. He blew through Robbie in a way that no one else did, and, for that matter, alot of the big guns were getting finished by or losing to Stephen Thompson, and even if you felt he looked lackluster in those fights, it'd be hard to pick Thompson as a winner. Tyron had all the big moments.

It was a very close SD. I got Gunnar winning 3-2 despite being KDed in the 5th.

nelson-story-pic.png

I'm a big Gunny fan but Story clearly won that fight.

I want to see Gunny fight Woodley.

I'm a big Gunny fan but Story clearly won that fight.

I want to see Gunny fight Woodley.

No. It wasn't clearly. It was a split decision which could have gone either way. Obviously one of the judges gave it to Gunnar.

No. It wasn't clearly. It was a split decision which could have gone either way. Obviously one of the judges gave it to Gunnar.

It was very clear, it was just one of the most bizarre split decisions ever. The other two judges had it 49-46 and 50-44 for Story.

Also:

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/5568/Rick-Story-vs-Gunnar-Nelson

And:

Significant strikes: Gunnar 53, Story 168 + knockdown. Thats a massive gap, Story outstruck Nelson by a huge margin in every round.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/da26301ae3e7a9b1

Of Course!! Every Champ should finish their fights.

Unfortunately, with that request comes the obligatory Top ten and worse yet, top 5 match ups.
As Nelson's record can certainly attest, given his two lone decision losses came at the hands of his only two real "name" opponents he's faced with only one being top 5 (top ten at the time of their fight).

I certainly don't disagree with Gunnar, i mean, who doesn't want to see fights finished?
I like Gunnar, and i'd like to see him do well, but until i see him firmly in the top ten.... and finishing guys, this all comes off a little like Artem's "everybody's a pussy" rant.

And basically any other champions, not named Conor.

16 wins, 15 finishes.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/19014765/want-true-champion-need-finish-your-fights
Conor spent U$300K to win a decision against Diaz. He hired lanky boxers and BJJ master, and, strength & conditioning experts, specifically to win by decision.

It's easier for fighters who have less to lose to talk shit. When Conor's future and reputation was on the line, he was happy with a majority decision. He celebrated that victory like it was his greatest one.

John Kavanagh was saved by that majority decision.

Gunni lost to Rick Story. What's your point?
He didn't just lose. He went to sleep. Once that happens, it will happen again, and with less effort.

If T Wood connects with Gunnar, he is going to sleep, and with his style of exposing his chin and moving forward, he will get touched.

It was very clear, it was just one of the most bizarre split decisions ever. The other two judges had it 49-46 and 50-44 for Story.

Also:

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/5568/Rick-Story-vs-Gunnar-Nelson

And:

Significant strikes: Gunnar 53, Story 168 + knockdown. Thats a massive gap, Story outstruck Nelson by a huge margin in every round.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/da26301ae3e7a9b1

One of the most bizzare split decisions ever was Hendricks-St.Pierre, as it was pretty obvious GSP won 3 rounds and Hendricks only 2. There was even a 4-1 argument for GSP.

I don't care what fightmetric says but Gunnar's significant strikes were way more significant than Stories. I had Gunnar slightly edging the fight until that knockdown in the 5th. It was a close fight.
50-44 was ridiculous and that judge should be banned for life for judging fights like this.

with his style of exposing his chin and moving forward

That would be my major concern for him in this fight. That's just a ludicrous way to fight Tyron. I don't know that he would adopt it for this fight, but if he did it wouldn't end well.

What the fuck is "throwing shade"

Do any retards ever talk like that?

Champions don't give a shit about the opinions of contenders.

Back