Gun to your head, Penn vs Khabib

What is Matt Hughes good at compared to today? He could wrestle and had BJJ. Everyone has that now. His striking was terrible too. He beat Frank Trigg. Big fuckin deal.

And GSP, you fucking noob lol

By an armbar lol. Nothin flukey about that.

Who the fuck can armbar GSP nowdays? Nobody in the top 10 besides maia could do that

Far from everyone

Hughes sure as hell cant armbar him nowdays. He verbally tapped last time they grappled.

georges-st-pierre-ufc-79.jpg

Who can KO GSP nowdays besides Serra? That make Serra great?

Hughes sure as hell cant armbar him nowdays. He verbally tapped last time they grappled.

georges-st-pierre-ufc-79.jpg

Who can KO GSP nowdays besides Serra. That make Serra great?
They were close to prime
Hughes is better imo he's goat
Gsp owned in him at UFC 79
Serra is legit

I think you might be underestimating how good prime Hughes grappling was like when he first fought GSP for the title or his domination of Royce or smashing of Prime BJ.

Hughes Vs GSP
tumblr_omvwspq3391upwz95o1_400.gif

Trapped Penn in a crucifix and pounded him out.
mma_hughes_penn2_576.jpg

Takes Royce's back and pounds him out.
2rdyhhw.jpg

There's not many guys today who have the combination of wrestling and high level BJJ with finishing ability.

You just showed me Hughes wailing on an ancient Royce Gracie as evidence of something. lol. So fuckin impressive.

Back in 07 BJ would have pushed him around and KO'd him. Khabib was green back then. 07 BJ vs 2017 Khabib? I cant really say anything other than BJ had the best TDD and if Khabib couldnt grab him and take him down he'd be eating that jab all night to a 5 round decision loss.

You just showed me Hughes wailing on an ancient Royce Gracie as evidence of something. lol. So fuckin impressive.

Royce did go 90 minutes with Sakuraba in the early 2000's. To say hes a nobody clearly youre a troll. I despise Royce but come on man. GTFO here. lol

People like to harp on mmas evolution.

And it has evolved.. But Penn was so good that he could beat people 3 weight classes above him

He was outweighed by Hughes 20 pounds and put him away in one round. This is a guy who is top 3 ever at WW.

When i thought about this matchup, at first i thought Khabib easily smashes him.

But when i start to really think about it, does he? Neither guy has that relentless cardio and pace, thats Bjs biggest problem. He always looked great for the first round.

I think Penn could have gotten a first round sub or a late TKO

The Eagle

BJ Penn could have stuffed the takedown attempts and could easily submit Khabib and would surely ring his bell pretty quickly on the feet.

Jesus. I thought you guys were extinct.
Not everyone judges legends by the tail end of their careers.

Believe it or not, Khabib is my favorite current fighter, but prime penn dominated ww champs with no weight cut.

I know who he fought. I watched. I am not impressed. Carlos Newton doesn't mean shit today. Neither does Frank Trigg. They never did. I'll "underestimate" your sappy nostalgia all I want.
james3.gif

A green GSP with one second left and got absolutely crushed in the rematches. prime vs prime, GSP destroys him. Just like Edgar destroyed Penn.

While you are technically correct, I think there needs to be a little more detail applied to your declaration. Edgar destroyed the ghost of BJ Penn in their third fight. Edgar won a clear cut UD over Penn in their second fight. Edgar was awarded a decision he did not earn against BJ in their first fight. Frankie's speed, toughness, cardio, and take downs made him the worst possible opponent for prime BJ, but I've watched that first fight 3 times and I just can not fathom how they could award it to Frankie.

Frank Edgar is also one of the LW greats so losing to him is nothing to hang your head about. Getting wiped out like BJ did in their third encounter, however...

I think you might be underestimating how good prime Hughes grappling was like when he first fought GSP for the title or his domination of Royce or smashing of Prime BJ.

Hughes Vs GSP
tumblr_omvwspq3391upwz95o1_400.gif

Trapped Penn in a crucifix and pounded him out.
mma_hughes_penn2_576.jpg

Takes Royce's back and pounds him out.
2rdyhhw.jpg

There's not many guys today who have the combination of wrestling and high level BJJ with finishing ability.
Mostly true, except the Hoyce part..who was way past his prime when they fought, cant really use this example.

There is no way Khabib can take down prime Penn. Penn TKO mid rounds.

Back