GSP spinning back fist in promo

Alves was right before the bulk up. Shields he was 194. Otherwise everything you said is spot on. After Alves he hovered around 185-187 outside the one fight with Shields which as you said he did not like the bulk and felt slow with it.

Yes that's it! He didn't like the way he felt light against Alves, so he bulked and looked shitty against Shields. Well...Shitty compared to other performances.

Yes that's it! He didn't like the way he felt light against Alves, so he bulked and looked shitty against Shields. Well...Shitty compared to other performances.
Alves was 197 for that fight iirc and GSP wanted to get rid of the size difference so bulked up, and was going to try to fight at MW possibly. After Shields he realized he couldn't bulk up as much as he thought and went back to 185-187 where he has stayed until now. He's 197 now I heard, but not 100% sure.

No, he doesn't. He used to walk around in the 170's. In the Alves fight his walk around was 182-183. His walk around after that was 185. The largest he ever was in camp was 194 for Shields, and he was 190 for the fight, thought it was too big for him, and went back to 185 walk around after that.

Trust me, this isn't a fight you want to fight, I can source everything.
Let's say all that is true, you're suggesting a natural 155er cuts 25-40 pounds?

Let's say all that is true, your suggesting a natural 155er cuts 25-40 pounds?
40? No. 25? Yes. Now if someone is 180 fighting at WW, why do you think they can't shed a few lbs and be 175 instead? If when he was ~180 he went down a few lbs rather than went up a few lbs he would not even be at the top of the LW's for size. Maybe you should look at what Ferguson and Khabib say they cut from.

Yes,exactly as I said, and that is after he bulked up. Not 200. He bulked up after the Alves fight. He had 21 fights BEFORE he bulked up, and only 6 after he bulked up. He was the smallest top WW AFTER he bulked up.
there was a time when I fought Thiago (Alves) like a year ago, I was lighter I was like 184 so I decided to gain weight

He then bulked up, culminating in the Shields fight where he was 194. He had a bad performance, felt slow, and was only able to be 190 on fight night. He immediately went back to 185 for his training camp with Condit.

40? No. 25? Yes. Now if someone is 180 fighting at WW, why do you think they can't shed a few lbs and be 175 instead? If when he was ~180 he went down a few lbs rather than went up a few lbs he would not even be at the top of the LW's for size. Maybe you should look at what Ferguson and Khabib say they cut from.
Agreed but they aren't natural 155ers. They are extremely large 155ers. And that article citing GSP said he walks around at 188. So thats almost 35lbs. I guess we arguing the term natural more than anything. In my opinion anything more than a 10-15lb cut is not natural weight class. 20+ is a large cut and 30+ shouldn't be in the conversation of natural.

I remember him saying he always hovered around 184-185 because he stayed fit all year round. The only time he went above 190 was when he was testing the waters to see what adding mass to his frame would be like. I think it was the Thiago Alves fight where he cut from 195 and didn't enjoy that one much. Slow down, and didn't feel good with the added bulk.

Sam Alvey cuts from "north of 220" to fight at middleweight. That's over 35 pounds.

So GSP dropping 30 to get to Lightweight wouldn't surprise me. 170 seems perfect though.

Agreed but they aren't natural 155ers. They are extremely large 155ers. And that article citing GSP said he walks around at 188. So thats almost 35lbs. I guess we arguing the term natural more than anything. In my opinion anything more than a 10-15lb cut is not natural weight class. 20+ is a large cut and 30+ shouldn't be in the conversation of natural.
By natural I think not what SHOULD be, but what is currently typical. I agree they are not natural LW, but they make LW. GSP is perfect for WW, but he was small due to the huge weight cuts. I am against weight cuts of that magnitude.

GSP is a natural womens strawweight and he's taking a fight at MW against a natural superheavyweight

did anyone else catch the promo where GSP did a spinning backlist?

Not sure which video but Man! He looked bloated and slow

He's a natural 155 and was even small for WW.

185 is gonna be rough
how times change. I remember when GSP haters were saying he was winning because he was a huge WW...

ElderlyCelebratedHypsilophodon-max-1mb.gif

Some people on here astonish me with their views. A natural 155er? Really?
No kidding! Remember when he was reigning over the WW division and people on here were talking about how he was a huuuuuuge welterweight and cutting massive amounts of weight so he wouldn't have to face the middle weighters?

Sam Alvey cuts from "north of 220" to fight at middleweight. That's over 35 pounds.

So GSP dropping 30 to get to Lightweight wouldn't surprise me. 170 seems perfect though.

170 seems perfect because he was dominating the division for years but compare him to guys like Condit, hendrix, woodley, rory, lawlor. GSP was undersized. They all weighed 170 but on fight night they balloon'd

GSP and Conor are the same height

170 seems perfect because he was dominating the division for years but compare him to guys like Condit, hendrix, woodley, rory, lawlor. GSP was undersized. They all weighed 170 but on fight night they balloon'd

GSP and Conor are the same height

GSP is also the same height as Ulka Sasaki at Flyweight, and Hendricks is shorter then GSP.

You're probably right anyway though. I think GSP sizes up fine with half those guys you mentioned, but there is a few at 170 who were substantially bigger, and people are only going to learn to keep cutting down further.

Last edited:
No, he doesn't. He used to walk around in the 170's. In the Alves fight his walk around was 182-183. His walk around after that was 185. The largest he ever was in camp was 194 for Shields, and he was 190 for the fight, thought it was too big for him, and went back to 185 walk around after that.

Trust me, this isn't a fight you want to fight, I can source everything.
He's said recently he always walked around at close to 190. Quit spreading this bullshit

He's said recently he always walked around at close to 190. Quit spreading this bullshit
Sorry, he didn't. Do you mean the interview where he talked about how he was small for WW?

I have a very large frame that makes me look bigger because I have a long reach. But I'm not that heavy, I'm a small guy for the elite of my weight class, actually.

Sorry, he didn't. Do you mean the interview where he talked about how he was small for WW?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mm...f-muscle-but-would-return-as-welterweight-mma

Maybe you don't consider 188 close to 190 though

And yeah he said that bullshit about being small for ww all the time. Even when he was obviously the bigger man he whined about it. To be 190 as lean as he was, that's a big ww. Guys like Hendricks would weigh less then him if their body fat was as low

Maybe you don't consider 188 close to 190 though
Can you show me where he said he was 188 his whole career?

Can you show me ANY elite WW who was less than 190?

Woodley says he walks around at 205. Only 17lbs bigger than GSP.

Back