Grapevine Submission?

k. mifune said:
Maybe I've missed something along the way, but what in the hell is the "grapevine"? I have an idea, but I want to be sure. It sounds like another move "renamed" by Eddie Bravo or something

Best pic I could find on short notice.
mount003.jpg

Grapevining legs is a wrestling term for when you entangle the opponents legs with your own to restrict mobility and control him, preventing takedowns and some grapevine moves are used to turn an opponent around for the pin.

Here

Thanks for the explanation, although all I can see of the pic is the dreaded "red x within a white box"

However, I think I know what this is, and I can't see tapping from it out of pain......sounds like the guy just wanted to give up and try again.

At any rate, I don't know many guys who use this as a legitimate pin, since there are much better methods for controlling the mount anyway.

I don't know, we're pretty cautious with new guys at our school, we emphasize that if you're caught, tap, don't wait till it hurts, that's often too late. So this guy was probably playing it smart, call him a pussy all you want, but he'll be training tomorrow while some of you guys are icing your elbows/knees.

As for the issue at hand, grapevining won't tap someone with any sort of grappling experience. We do have one guy who likes to disrupt people's base by grapevining their legs when they're inside his guard. It's weird and very bothersome to people who haven't seen it before, but once you know what to do, it's pretty easy to get around.

and to all you guys who ask about tapping to knee on belly. I tapped a guy to knee on belly in a tournament once, it's a pretty painful position if you do it properly. If you stay low, ride your knee into their floating rib, then hook their head and pull up while you drive the knee in, they really don't have any choice but to tap, escape, or listen to a rib break.

Superbeast said:
Your friend is a pussy. If he tapped just because you got your hooks in to block his sweep attempts and the guy tapped, he's a pussy. Does he tap to knee on the belly too?

just because you tap to hooks doesnt mean your pussy...it just depends if you are flexible or not...personally i am very flexible so it doesnt hurt a bit if someone grapevines me, but i have ran into some kids that i have grapevined and yelped almost like someone that broke a bone...if u arent flexible, grapevines will hurt like a bitch, if u pull the legs out a lot

Frodo said:
Ybot: What does that strain? The back?
No, it puts pressure on the knees when done right, but it's a bitch to get on anyone fighting. Try it on a willing partner and it works great. I've got it rolling before, but on someone much less experienced.

I think this is the submission you probably hit:

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=394

They call it the bull rider there. It looks pretty difficult to get, but I can see it happening sometimes. That is attacking the knees in a way similar to the heel hook, so I would tap to it and not feel like a pussy.

I've seen that before. I'm aware on the mat you can go for calf cranks from grapevine position. However that doesn't seem to be what happened here. The dude just got his legs straightened out by the grapevines and got compressed by Mr. Threadstarter's hips. If he'd got that bull rider, that looks a two legged version of Gomi's serpent leglock, then that would be completely different.

"Gomi's serpent leg lock?" Damn, something else I haven't heard of, except this sounds like something pretty sick that's worth seeing. Any clues on some vid or pics for a description?

fedor4life said:
google video.........the ban

Not if the vid in question is not a recent show........Combat Wrestling folded years ago. I doubt you can even buy DVD

I am a mod. Why would I be banned? I am aware of the rules and that video does not fall under the restrictions of providing a full event or full fights from any recent PPVs still available on PPV or DVD release. The promotion that produced the event no longer exists and the video is not readily available so I am not undercutting any company's sales and the copyright on the material is no longer valid as the company no longer even exists to exact any legal action even if it were still valid. Furthermore, I did not make a post deliberately to provide the material even if it were still protected under an active copyright, only to supply a resource as a reference in regards to a poster's question. As a moderator, it is partly my job to provide resources and help posters on this forum, which is exactly what I was doing. Don't try play us at our own game, I am well aware of the rules as are the rest of the staff of this site. Incidentally fedor4flife, I am aware of your previous account and we are being lenient with you thus far. Don't fuck with us, this is your second chance, there will not be a third.

If you didn't have his head in any way, then yeah, what the other guys said. But a very smilar position made me tap out in a judo tourney once, and I blieve it was an illegal sub butt he ref didn't call it. The guy got mount on me and grapevined my legs, but then got my neck somehow (maybe a guillotine type thing, I don't recall exactly) and it was not a choke, but a neck crank and I was close to getting my vertabrae separated when he started to arch. But if it wanst that, then yeah, he shouldn't have tapped just from a gradevine.

Superbeast said:
I am a mod. Why would I be banned? I am aware of the rules and that video does not fall under the restrictions of providing a full event or full fights from any recent PPVs still available on PPV or DVD release. The promotion that produced the event no longer exists and the video is not readily available so I am not undercutting any company's sales and the copyright on the material is no longer valid as the company no longer even exists to exact any legal action even if it were still valid. Furthermore, I did not make a post deliberately to provide the material even if it were still protected under an active copyright, only to supply a resource as a reference in regards to a poster's question. As a moderator, it is partly my job to provide resources and help posters on this forum, which is exactly what I was doing. Don't try play us at our own game, I am well aware of the rules as are the rest of the staff of this site. Incidentally fedor4flife, I am aware of your previous account and we are being lenient with you thus far. Don't fuck with us, this is your second chance, there will not be a third.

i was kidding about the ban comment...i know your a mod, your name is blue, i know what that means...i thought it was kinda funny...maybe it would have gotten my point across better if i put one of those smiley faces after i said it...i too know the rules and know what you did was straight, sorry for the misuderstanding

Use emoticons when making a joke. E.G. You are a dumbass. ;-)

You can get the combat wrestling dvd from budovideos though. In a case like this though, I would have to say its more like advertising than anything.

Balto said:
I think this is the submission you probably hit:

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=394

They call it the bull rider there. It looks pretty difficult to get, but I can see it happening sometimes. That is attacking the knees in a way similar to the heel hook, so I would tap to it and not feel like a pussy.
This is the one I was talking about.

I've seen noobs tap to this and can openers on the first or 2nd class.

funny we were just working on this in class yesterday. but we were working on escapes if mounted and someone grapevined you. I nor my partner felt much discomfort from the grapevine. since he was new maybe he didn't know where you were going with it and tapped early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back