Gracie Jiu Jitsue full basic techniques

How often do you guys put gloves on and drill clinching without getting hit?

How many minutes per class, per week?

We try to do mma type of sparring at least a couple of times a month. We have a boxing/wrestling class before out class, one of my students was a boxer, he teaches basics of boxing then we mix it with tds, no ground game allow, just till the take down.

"Closing the Gap" is an obsession among grapplers and self defense gurus in the same way fearing the takedown is a fear for karateka.

It really isn't that hard. If you box seriously for like six months and practice technique, you'll find yourself tying up with strikers with years and years of experience, on accident. It isn't a big jump to transition from that into takedowns, with the exception of shooting under a punch, which is different.

thats a really silly way to see it. Yes in boxing youll clinch all the time, thats beacsue they are ok with clinching, because the are no tds in boxing.

When having mma training with MT guys, I found on the hard way that when someone knows you want to take them to the ground, clinching is not all that easy, specially getting to a clinch without getting hit A LOT.

Someone with good foorwork is going to make your life miserable if you think you are going to just clinch with them.

thats a really silly way to see it. Yes in boxing youll clinch all the time, thats beacsue they are ok with clinching, because the are no tds in boxing.

When having mma training with MT guys, I found on the hard way that when someone knows you want to take them to the ground, clinching is not all that easy, specially getting to a clinch without getting hit A LOT.

Someone with good foorwork is going to make your life miserable if you think you are going to just clinch with them.

Where do you guys spar? In a big empty field? It isn’t that hard to initiate a clinch in MMA. 99% of people will attempt to clinch immediately as soon as they miss a strike and they can’t back up forever.

You’re looking at the top 1% of the 1% who can purposefully prevent clinching at all, and only when there is a gross difference in overall skill. If they back up too much, they’re on the wall. The closer they get to the wall, the easier it is to time them coming in. The only way it is hard to clinch with someone is if they are beating the hell out of you. Six months of boxing and people with years of experience will have a hard time just knocking you out.

You can stalk them down.

Last edited:
The computer I work on is a 200 dollar lenova desktop. Sherdog takes a huge shit on it. It is hard to post.

Where do you guys spar? In a big empty field? It isn’t that hard to initiate a clinch in MMA. 99% of people will attempt to clinch immediately as soon as they miss a strike and they can’t back up forever.

You’re looking at the top 1% of the 1% who can purposefully prevent clinching at all, and only when there is a gross difference in overall skill. If they back up too much, they’re on the wall. The closer they get to the wall, the easier it is to time them coming in. The only way it is hard to clinch with someone is if they are beating the hell out of you. Six months of boxing and people with years of experience will have a hard time just knocking you out.

You can stalk them down.

we have a cage, yes you can clinch, can you safely clinch? its a trade off, you are certanly going to get hit, and not everyone bumrushes in stree fights either. Your % are way off man.

I agree with BJJ Rage. Closing the distance, establishing the clinch and establishing a strong grip without getting hit requires attention. To say otherwise or to say "i do my sport enough that I'm sure it'll be fine" is not different to me than kung fu guys who talk about how they can destroy the jab with all this magical elbow out of the air stuff.

If we want to talk in terms of MMA fights, just look at Cro Cop vs. Yoshida. Now of course some guy in a bar might not be as good as cro cop but I bet most of our Judo isn't as good as Yoshida's either. So I don't even think MMA is a good place to look but anecdotally speaking, there's some precedent to support it.

And like BJJ rage said, not ever fight outside the gym is gonna be a fat schlub throwing haymakers. There are very good chances of coming against some other athlete with just raw ability and reflexes.

Back