Gracie Combatives Review: Conclusion, Bad For The Sport

at this point, it really doesn't matter. I've seen blue belts handed out at plenty of academies for simply showing up for X number of classes. The bjj ranks really hold little prestige on their own. nowadays, it is simply about who can do well in mma/sport competition. Otherwise, someone saying they are a certain belt should hold little weight.

in Brazil I've seen Blue belts give browns fits and beat alot of recreational purple and Browns.

Gracie combatitives are good for everyone, especially grapplers in any game and anyone looking to spend money on fitness.

Thhese guys are kings and they beat anyone selling a big mac.

I fucking love big macs and might get 3 delivered now.

Quit holding your own down, fuckers. Kill the rest.lol

I love burying these guys. Maybe I wouldn't tho, who knows?

Gracie combatitives are good for everyone, especially grapplers in any game and anyone looking to spend money on fitness.

Thhese guys are kings and they beat anyone selling a big mac.

I fucking love big macs and might get 3 delivered now.

Quit holding your own down, fuckers. Kill the rest.lol

I love burying these guys. Maybe I wouldn't tho, who knows?

Wut

I think having people going around claiming to be decent BJJ practitioners and saying their blue belt proves that they know a little when in fact they can't really represent the art could hurt it. GC is too small right now for this to be a problem, but I'd hate to see the sport go in that direction.

I really cant se how it could "hurt the sport". The blue belt rank is of no importance anyway. I dont care if GU does it the way they do, or if Eddie Bravo does it the way he does, or how the school in the outskirts of Tijuana does it.

I have submitted brown belts, and a black belt or two. I'm a purple belt, I think it's natural that I catch a few from time to time (though I get submitted by them far more often). But this thread is a little about you, since you're defending GC and claiming authority from all your supposed accomplishments, about which you've not given the slightest bit of verifiable detail.

Good for you man! Do i ask you to verify your so called "accomplishments"? No, because i don't find them one bit unusual or impressive to the level that i feel and urge to ask for your ID.

I'm "defending" GC because i find this thread full of pure BS about it. To give anyone who seriously wonders about the curriculum an perspective, i briefly presented my mma background. If practitioners like myself, who train and compete on a fairly high level can make use of the GC curriculum, im pretty sure average talented beginners could.

That was my entry to BJJ. I sort of compare what Rener and Ryrons GC can do for a good sw-grappler, to what 50 hours of detailed video with Freddie Roach, alongside training, could do for fighters like Keith Jardine or Tim Sylvia. Even tough they have knocked opponents out, they never "really" knew how to box.

Yes, a bit exaggerated, but i think you get my point.

I love GJJ. When Rener said, in GC's Guillotine Defense (Lesson 32/Slice 1), that you can use elbow and knee strikes in addition to the forearm drive to free your neck, I knew GJJ was for me. So I joined a CTC.

edited to correct that fruedian slip, Rorion is one of my favorite Gracies so I typed his name by mistake. Dont judge the content on that, you can disagree because my argument isnt acceptable. I am curious how people feel about it
You got it wrong again and you don't know what a fraud in slip is unless you mean you would like to sleep with Rickson

Just curious what belt are you and how long have you been training to come up with such an interesting perspective

Edit. Damn I didn't realize this thread was 3 years old.

A reply to Mike Harris, original post 27 April 2011, “Gracie Combative Review: Conclusion, bad for the sport.”

. The Gracie University Online Program has its pros and cons. Blue belts are no longer earned online. The videos are good for training purposes. I do agree that some of the Gracies have commercialized the art for profit. The “Cash Cow” of any martial art school is its kids program. I’ve seen this again-and-again. All martial arts have their pros and cons. Learn and use what works for you. Cross train in multiple arts if you can.

. You don’t have to roll on the mat or get real sparring practice to prove a technique works. Go slow. Learn it first with a partner. It all works. There is no sparring in Aikido either. You need time and experience. Build muscle memory and reflex action. Knowledge of leverage, timing, distance, and speed. Roll on the mat and sparrow afterwards. Crawl phase, walk phase, and finally the run phase.

. Royce Gracie in UFC 1, 2, and 3 proved Gracie Combative works. It has been adopted by the U.S. Army Rangers, U.S. Navy SEALS, and U.S. Air Force (Pink Belt qualification for women).

. Street fights don’t always end on the ground and fights in the UFC are now no longer ending on the ground.

. I don’t care about belt colors. I have seen lower belts take out upper belts in a fight. Take into consideration age, weight, and experience. Also, I rather fight dirty and win than fight clean and loose. Kick to the groin, punch to the throat, head butt, eye gauging, ear slap. None of which are taught in GJJ, BJJ, or seen in the UFC. Street fighting is totally different from the UFC and school fighting.

Last edited:
. You don’t have to roll on the mat or get real sparring practice to prove a technique works. Go slow. Learn it first with a partner. It all works. There is no sparring in Aikido either.

<45>

Best ... necro ... ever!

Holy shit. Terrible necro trolling going on.

Back