Good protection for knuckles?

Vicious91

White Belt
Reaction score
What is some good protection for my knuckles? I feel like my knuckles are real fragile as whenever I punch either the bag or the mitts by middle and index knuckles seems to feel a quick sharp pain. I was using the $30 Everlast gloves and then bought some Rival Elite Bag Gloves, both at 12oz. I spent $90 on those Rivals and not for nothing the pain seems to be worse, like my knuckles go right though my gloves.

I've tried wrapping my hands in differente manners and styles and still nothing. I can't even punch the heavy bag like I want to because the pain is terrible. It seems that when I hit it with even half of power my knuckles feel it and therefore I can't work on my power. And the mitts too, I just can't hit as hard and/or as fast as I wish dut to the pain. Like I said the pain is almost as though I was punching the bag/mitts barefisted. Any help? Thanks! ;)

I have. I've tried my 18oz Ringside IMFs and it's frustrating. With all the force my knuckles seem to go right through the foam and it's as though there is nothing there. Should I use gauze or something of the type?

Winning NG-2 Knuckle guards might help you, I have heard some great things about them... they are available here Extra Items, there is a review here as well http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/winning-ng-2-knuckle-guards-w-pics-1666123/ ...
Also it could be the way your wrapping your hands, improper wrapping can cause hand pain. I personally used Ringside Mexican Handwraps and they work incredibly well they are very wide and have a great stretch to them... Ive never had soft hands so I can't say I feel your pain, but you might want to try selling your rivals and your other gloves and getting the Rival D3o Bag Gloves, those probably offer the most protection in a bag glove. You need to make sure that your making a proper fist as you strike, if your hands are a little loose that could be your issue as well. Personally I warm up with bare knuckles or just wraps for a few rounds each day to condition. Then toss on gloves for long days or heavy bag work. Best of Luck.

ThanksI really appreciate it, I will look into all those items. They look like top of the line products. Hope it helps, thanks again ;)

You should never get pain from hitting the pads, something must be wrong somewhere. Knuckle pain from hitting bags is understandable especially if you ever decide to want to hit the bags at your local workout gym.I use the winning knuckle-guards they are pretty good, seems like they can even save you from getting new gloves(just be prepared to not receive a tracking number or any kind of communication from winning but within 3 weeks they will magically appear in your mailbox)

It sounds like you have boxer's knuckle, which is inflammation and damage of the tendonous sheath that runs over the knuckle. You will probably have to take some time off of punching things hard with that hand till the tendon heals (most likely this will take a couple of weeks but will not require medical attention... unless the tendon "slips" off the knuckle when you make a fist).

First let the knuckles heal. Then try your newer gloves out. If you find yourself re-injuring yourself, then consider the knuckle guards. BTW the Winnings are friggin sweat.

I have the same problem. If your knuckles are swollen, you need to let them rest. Give its a month. Them add it little extra paddling besides the regular hand wraps. You can try a regular 4x6 in sponge, or buy those extra knuckle pad protection at title mma, those run about ten bucks. But rest is key. Had that happen a month before one of my fights. Sucking hitting something and it always hurting.

i would definitely recommend wrapping your hands like other people suggested. you can double up when you go through putting the wraps through the fingers part of wrapping your hands. also use the wrap maybe 2 or 3 times across your knuckles to form a cushion when getting to maybe the last meter of the wrap. really hard to describe this way of wrapping your hands in words, so hopefully you get what im saying.

also consider a glove that uses a 4 layered foam system like winning or top king (super air and super star models). they tend to put the majority of the padding in the knuckle area, whereas some brands put it in the backhand, which in my view is pointless.

also ice and rest can work wonderings. however please understand that with combat sports you are doing things that your body wasnt designed for, so you will have injuries. these maybe immediate or develop later, so you are definitely doing the right thing jumping on a forum and asking for advice. It may also be worth consulting your physician if you are still getting pain. They will give you a hard time about the sport you do, but if there is something seriously wrong its better to know sooner rather than later.

I remember when I fractured my knuckles and I was having a lot of problems with that hand when boxing. I didnt actually stop training. However I did rest / ice it and I switched to southpaw for a few months to give it time to recover and heal. With fractures they tend not to heal 100%, but instead form a fracture callus and is then bridge by the hyaline cartilage and woven bone after which lamellar bone will form then trabecular bone and finally compact bone. All of which takes time so hence the resting (physicians say this whole process can take 3 - 5 years). You will get some of the original strength back but not all of it, so you just have to be mindful with injuries and know how to look after them.

I hope some of what I have said helps you out.

Last edited:
i would definitely recommend wrapping your hands like other people suggested. you can double up when you go through putting the wraps through the fingers part of wrapping your hands. also use the wrap maybe 2 or 3 times across your knuckles to form a cushion when getting to maybe the last meter of the wrap. really hard to describe this way of wrapping your hands in words, so hopefully you get what im saying.

also consider a glove that uses a 4 layered foam system like winning or top king (super air and super star models). they tend to put the majority of the padding in the knuckle area, whereas some brands put it in the backhand, which in my view is pointless.

also ice and rest can work wonderings. however please understand that with combat sports you are doing things that your body wasnt designed for, so you will have injuries. these maybe immediate or develop later, so you are definitely doing the right thing jumping on a forum and asking for advice. It may also be worth consulting your physician if you are still getting pain. They will give you a hard time about the sport you do, but if there is something seriously wrong its better to know sooner rather than later.

I remember when I fractured my knuckles and I was having a lot of problems with that hand when boxing. I didnt actually stop training. However I did rest / ice it and I switched to southpaw for a few months to give it time to recover and heal. With fractures they tend not to heal 100%, but instead form a fracture callus and is then bridge by the hyaline cartilage and woven bone after which lamellar bone will form then trabecular bone and finally compact bone. All of which takes time so hence the resting (physicians say this whole process can take 3 - 5 years). You will get some of the original strength back but not all of it, so you just have to be mindful with injuries and know how to look after them.

I hope some of what I have said helps you out.
Good poster ! been reading your latest posts. glad to have you on board.

cheers man. its nice to hear that people get something out of what i post up.

Hey , I've had the same problem since I started training, I've recently found something that helps a little. I use 10 oz Twins to hit pads and the bag , I wrap my hands with normal wraps (top kings or twins) and then I put a fighters only quick wrap on top of it. I have long and large hands , its a tight fit but its does give me extra protection having both normal wraps and the quick wrap under my glove. the fighters only one is thin so its fits on top , I previously tried the Venum Gel wrap but it was too thick. Hope this helped you.

I had the same exact problem about a few months back. I thought it was my Rival D30, but when i switched gloves, the pain was still there. So i decided to buy winning knuckle guards and they work like a charm. I ve never had any knuckle pain since using them. Awesome knuckle guards

Try knuckle safe foam blocks off amazon the only £4 they go under your wraps

Back