Gone Zero Carb.

CC's left foot

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Ok, diet/supp forum. I've done it. I've gone zero carb (ZC). This WOE has many names, but ZC seems to fit even if it is not exactly zero. It's also known as "steak and egg", and was popularized by Arnold's trainer Vince Gironda.

I don't want to go into the science of it, if you are interested, "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Taubes is an excellent book to read, or "The Fat of the Land" by Viljahmur Stefansson, who lived on the natural all meat of the Inuit in Alaska while he lived with them.

Part of what makes this WOE so easy is that there is essentially no hunger, and it's easy to not cheat because bad food choices are so easy to recognize.

A quick overview of the essentials:

1. Eat only from the animal world (eggs, fish, red meat and fowl, eggs, etc.).

2. Eat nothing from the vegetable world whatsoever. Very small amounts of flavorings such as garlic/chilis/spices/herbs are OK.

3. Avoid milk and yogurt (carbs from lactose), use only pure ("heavy") cream (read the label), cheese and unsalted butter.

4. Cook your beef as rare as you can while still enjoying it. Pork and chicken must be raised to a high enough temperature to kill parasites.

5. Eat liver and brains only very infrequently- they are full of carbs.

6. Eat plenty of animal fat with every meal (this is important for complete nutrition). 40-75% of calories is considered a good ratio. Avoid vegetable oils if possible.

7. You do not need any supplements of any kind. Drink a lot of water and do not add salt to anything other than a little for flavor if you must.

8. Drink water or unsweet tea when thirsty. Avoid any artificial sweeteners.

That is it.

Proven facts are:
-All nutrients necessary for the human body are present in meat and fat (some say meat must be rare for maximum nutrition)
-Cultures that eat all meat diets have very near no incidence of: diabetes, tooth decay, heart disease, cancer, alzheimers, obesity, and other common diseases. This is regardless of their avg. amount of physical activity.
-There is no constipation associated with this diet. However, movements will be less frequent than on a high carb diet.
-Many tribes ate like this with NO fish in the diet, although it is certainly welcome
-It is near impossible to gain fat mass on this diet, regardless of calorie consumption. You will gain muscle mass though.

---

I am two weeks in, and I feel great. The first few days are a little uncomfortable due to the body's adjustment away from being carb fueled. It's a little like having a cold. But that went away on the fourth day or so.

If there are any Q's I will try to answer them.

Sounds completely nuts but keep us updated.

Invest in some met_amucil if you do get protein back-up.

Also, how do you plan on replacing the vitamins and nutrients you will be deficient in by cutting out the greens and veggies?

Sounds completely nuts but keep us updated.

Invest in some met_amucil if you do get protein back-up.

Also, how do you plan on replacing the vitamins and nutrients you will be deficient in by cutting out the greens and veggies?

Answers were in the original post-->

-there is no constipation, no need for fiber with enough fat in the diet

-all nutrients the body requires are in MEAT and FAT!

Well at least one of those 'proven facts' is wrong for me personally.

I got backed up noticeably when i switched to my hi-protein diet. Enough so that I bought the fiber from Costco.

Answers were in the original post-->

-there is no constipation, no need for fiber with enough fat in the diet

-all nutrients the body requires are in MEAT and FAT!

How will you get all of your vitamin c and such?

How will you get all of your vitamin c and such?

Did you not read his post? Obviously it is proven that all necessary nutrients are found in meat and fat.

HMMMMMM! this will end badly!

I am low carb with phenomenal results (Cyclical Ketogenic Diet).... 45 45 10

Like it or not you are going to lack macro nutrients with your "the book told me so philosophy" if you dont substitute with something!

Also you are going to need a fiber replacement.... your liver will probably take a real beating too! Or do you have another book that says it wont ?

Are you sure this is not a cutting diet for comp ?

I don't doubt that "our ancestors" who were killing wild game, that ate a completely natural diet, got all the nutrients they needed from meat & fat. However, I don't think that would be the case these days. I suggest a multi-vitamin at least, if not a few greens.

You're basically telling me to stop enjoying a ton of food and only eat something that I can't really enjoy the flavor of microwaved, which would be necessary with the lifestyle I lead.

No thanks.

HMMMMMM! this will end badly!

I am low carb with phenomenal results (Cyclical Ketogenic Diet).... 45 45 10

Like it or not you are going to lack macro nutrients with your "the book told me so philosophy" if you dont substitute with something!

Also you are going to need a fiber replacement.... your liver will probably take a real beating too! Or do you have another book that says it wont ?

Are you sure this is not a cutting diet for comp ?

What's 45 45 10? Are those grams of carbs per 3 day cycle?

I'd guess % of calories from protein, fat, and carbs. That's actually pretty close to what I'm doing, but I usually end up a little closer to 40/40/20

PFFT i just read that article ... that diet was from the 60's And they use lots and lots of green vegetables plus added supplements... I was sorta right, its a sculpting diet for comp and not ment to be followed all the time!

Also you may want to consider the juice factor some of these athletes may or may not have been into ....

you sir are misguided

Even if you don't get backed up from the lack of fibre, you will most likely end up having severely dry stools.

Over time, this will do damage like piles or even worse, an anal fissure...

Nasty stuff!!
Be careful!

If all the nutrients you needed were in meat and fat, then there would be no such thing as WATER-soluble vitamins.

You're basically telling me to stop enjoying a ton of food and only eat something that I can't really enjoy the flavor of microwaved, which would be necessary with the lifestyle I lead.

No thanks.

To be fair to the TS, he's not telling you to do anything, he's just telling us what he's doing (which is fairly extreme even by D&S standards). I'd be interested in hearing how it works for him in the long run, not that I'd follow that diet. I actually like vegetables.

Wouldn't you have to be sure to eat grass fed organic meat as well to get a more "natural" balance of nutrients? Sure the ancients may have gorged on meat but it was meat that had lived on natural food, not corn or ground up parts of other animals.

No thanks.

I'm not telling you to do anything. I am describing the WOE I am trying out.

Back