Golf advice. Lessons or no?

Like anything else, depends on how serious you want to be with it. If you're just fucking around, don't waste the money.

When I started boxing, I paid for a personal trainer once a week because I wanted to get good fast. Best investment ever because I became serious about training/sparring/fighting and stuck with it for about six years.

About 15 years ago, I started playing about 30 rounds of golf a year. I did this for about 5 years. I was playing bogey golf on my best day and like 130 on the bad days. I had two very bad habits. I used a baseball bat grip (not even a 10 finger grip but an actual baseball bat grip with my thumbs wrapped around the club). I also stood very far away from the ball to where I would extend my arms 45 degrees at the ball.

My question is, now after a 10 year break, should I take lessons and try to correct my grip and stance before stepping back on the course? Or should I just go back to playing the way I was and try to correct myself as I go? I was thinking a 10 year break might be a good time to start over with a blank slate.

Certainly take a few lessons first, some pro's will give you a break if you prepay for five. To me 50%-75% of golf is the set up and address at the ball. All this happens before you even begin to swing. If you are going to start playing you might as well give it your best chance. All the good golfers I have played with have a quality set up. In addition the putting stroke and swing in the sand are very different too.

It will feel awkward at first but a little instruction will go a long way towards helping you enjoy the game.

Lessons will help but you need to make sure you get the right teacher as they are dear.

Back