Goju-Ryu & Kyokushin Karate

• Thread starter Deleted member 87037
  • Start date
likkuid said:
Cults always get good business, what do you expect :p

And heavybag..frick I've been wanting one of those for a while now - parents won't allow it 'cause it takes too much room -_-

I'll have to find SOMETHING to kick, and I don't have a little brother, so I'm lost with that. My dad said he'd hold the kick pads if I got them though - so guess that's better than nothing ;)

The pads are not the same. Nothing beats a heavy bag. The school will have a heavy bag to practice on.

First off, there are some hardcore Goju clubs out there...google "Yamaguchi Goju-Kai"; if he says Kyokushin is too psycho, ask him about Gogen "Cat" Yamaguchi.

Second there are a ton of similarities between Kyokushin and Goju-ryu...you could sweet talk Dad onto your side by asking for help.

Third, and most important...I've trained Kyokushin since '94, and just started Ashihara Karate recently...and the most serious injury I've picked up in those styles was a black eye and a hematoma on one of my ribs from my test for Shodan...

The worst injury ever, martial arts related? Broken ribs picked up in a "semi-contact" tournament back in my Shotokan days...

imho, KK is way safer...you learn control before you go full out...you won't be doing hard sparring 'til about green belt...and we do a TON of body toughening

wicked, thanks. i got enough info now lol, thanks people.

and to the guy who asked - no, i havnt checked out the dojos yet, i want to but my dad said he wants go saturday when he's off from work. id go alone but he wants to make sure im not joining a mcdojo. ill be going to a kk dojo on sat morning and the goju ryu one (just to shut my dad up) later in the day. still have to check out one other KK dojo, because there's 2 in my area.

thanks again =)

*I still want to take Kyokushin much more than Goju-Ryu*

Checked out this KK place on Danforth today. I spoke to the sensei a few days prior and he told me they would be open on Thursday. My dad and I drove half hour today to get there and they were closed..pitch black inside and in front of the dojo was all this police CAUTION tape with a GARDEN thing in the center..The place itself looked like pretttttty bad. It's too far, anyways, so I'm not going to this place. Too many problems already. So...since we were in the area we went to check out my dads old Goju-Ryu place. We met my dads senseis son and he gave us some good info. The place is nice, small (very personal I would think) and I had a great feeling about it. The head sensei is a 7th dan Gojen and is the president for Goju-Ryu in Canada - he is also Canada's most senior Goju Ryu practicioner. He was president for a few other associations as well. He's been training/teaching for 35 years and was taught by a 10th dan Gojen. They have classes set aside for white-orange belt, and then higher levels, etc. etc. The son of the sensei (also a black belt) told me it's very personal and for the first few weeks, as a new student, he would set me aside and do 1-on-1 training with me. They, however, have no-contact sparring (as previously mentioned). OK, so I rather take Kyokushin, but this Goju-Ryu place seems so amazing to me (like such a fantastic dojo).

I'm checking out the other KK place near me..hopefully Saturday morning. If the teaching there is not good I will go with this Goju-Ryu place and try to get my dad to allow me to have a heavy bag at home (by saying I'll do Goju-Ryu if I get the bag) so this way I can practice kicking THROUGH something..opposed to the controlled sparring they have there.

Well, basically - one KK place is a no for sure, other I'm still going to check out - and the Goju Ryu place seems like the perfect backup. It's very cheap as well, $500 CAD a year and that includes a gi. Classed MON-FRI, 2 beginner classes/week.

ONLY prob with Goju Ryu place is that 1 of the 2 beginner classes is the same day as 1 of the 2 beginner classes for this BJJ place I wanted to go to..so if I went to Goju-Ryu, I don't think I could go to BJJ (1 beginner class/week for $85/month isn't worth it).. But, nothings for sure yet :p

=)

likkuid said:
*I still want to take Kyokushin much more than Goju-Ryu*

Checked out this KK place on Danforth today. I spoke to the sensei a few days prior and he told me they would be open on Thursday. My dad and I drove half hour today to get there and they were closed..pitch black inside and in front of the dojo was all this police CAUTION tape with a GARDEN thing in the center..The place itself looked like pretttttty bad. It's too far, anyways, so I'm not going to this place. Too many problems already. So...since we were in the area we went to check out my dads old Goju-Ryu place. We met my dads senseis son and he gave us some good info. The place is nice, small (very personal I would think) and I had a great feeling about it. The head sensei is a 7th dan Gojen and is the president for Goju-Ryu in Canada - he is also Canada's most senior Goju Ryu practicioner. He was president for a few other associations as well. He's been training/teaching for 35 years and was taught by a 10th dan Gojen. They have classes set aside for white-orange belt, and then higher levels, etc. etc. The son of the sensei (also a black belt) told me it's very personal and for the first few weeks, as a new student, he would set me aside and do 1-on-1 training with me. They, however, have no-contact sparring (as previously mentioned). OK, so I rather take Kyokushin, but this Goju-Ryu place seems so amazing to me (like such a fantastic dojo).

I'm checking out the other KK place near me..hopefully Saturday morning. If the teaching there is not good I will go with this Goju-Ryu place and try to get my dad to allow me to have a heavy bag at home (by saying I'll do Goju-Ryu if I get the bag) so this way I can practice kicking THROUGH something..opposed to the controlled sparring they have there.

Well, basically - one KK place is a no for sure, other I'm still going to check out - and the Goju Ryu place seems like the perfect backup. It's very cheap as well, $500 CAD a year and that includes a gi. Classed MON-FRI, 2 beginner classes/week.

ONLY prob with Goju Ryu place is that 1 of the 2 beginner classes is the same day as 1 of the 2 beginner classes for this BJJ place I wanted to go to..so if I went to Goju-Ryu, I don't think I could go to BJJ (1 beginner class/week for $85/month isn't worth it).. But, nothings for sure yet :p

=)

I'm glad to hear you liked it. Now convince your dad that he has to join as well. No reason for the old man not to get back into it. His son is grown and he can take it with him.

Also get that heavy bag. I am from a style very much like that Goju-Ryu school. I used to have my own heavy bag and work it a couple times a week (now that I'm married the wife won't let me hang one (heh heh heh), but I still try to work the one at the school). Working the heavy bag is so important.

When I joined kickboxing they thought I would be a pushover (like so many other blackbelts they had come across). The first time I kicked my sparring partner in the leg his eyes got huge. I could tell I hurt him. But he'd probably been doing kickboxing for under a year while I had ten years of experience and had been working a heavy bag for five years. The heavy bag is where it is at. You'll learn good technique from your sensei, but then it is up to you to work that bag.

If I were you I'd try to work in that Judo class. Where I've always done well in standup because of my martial arts background...my ground work is another story!!! :) I've been choked out and subbed so many ways since I started doing it. It is a long uphill battle on that front. Best get started early!!!!

:D

Yeh..I wanted to go BJJ..but that's gonna cost $1000/year. I was planning on doing it anyways but apparently I need to save my money for books and trasportation to university in 2 years ahh.

The judo club my friend goes to is free..well, only $100/year (it's non-profit) - because of $ restrictions I'll probably end up going there. The thing that I don't like about judo though, is, my friend said without a gi/t-shirt or something to grab about half of the techniques cannot be used. This is why he says it's bad for MMA where you can't wear shirts (like UFC). Is he wrong?

likkuid said:
Yeh..I wanted to go BJJ..but that's gonna cost $1000/year. I was planning on doing it anyways but apparently I need to save my money for books and trasportation to university in 2 years ahh.

The judo club my friend goes to is free..well, only $100/year (it's non-profit) - because of $ restrictions I'll probably end up going there. The thing that I don't like about judo though, is, my friend said without a gi/t-shirt or something to grab about half of the techniques cannot be used. This is why he says it's bad for MMA where you can't wear shirts (like UFC). Is he wrong?
watch karo parisyan fight.

likkuid said:

You grab a gi in BJJ too, though.

What you have to think about is whether you're planning on fighting in MMA or if it's more an interest than a serious career choice.

If you're not planning on being a professional MMA fighter, who cares about the gi? You can enter Judo competitions, and continue with Goju-Ryu training. You'll get a lot out of both arts. Japanese arts instill a lot of discipline and a knack for perfection.

The thing is, lots of people on this website shine a bad light on arts that don't have full-contact sparring. But not everything you do has to be related to MMA. Martial arts can be and are much more than just putting gloves on and fighting in the ring.

Fighting and training hard causes a lot of wear and tear on your body. Unless you're seriously planning on jumping into the fighting circuit, you might want to think more about what you're in martial arts for. You don't have to think of MMA as the ultimate goal for martial arts you practice.

Well, I'm really freaking happy. The dojo my friend goes to is free as I was saying, but my friend said he could drive me every time. I had no idea he got his G2 liscense..and what's even better is that he lives on my street! Transportation was my main concern for judo - but looks like that's not a problem anymore :D

And I'm most likley not taking Goju Ryu, as I said - that's my fallback plan, Kyokushin is still my top choice.

And no, MMA will not be a career for me.

Gomi credits Kyokushin Karate in helping him with his punching accuracy. I believe all Marital arts has something to offer including Karate.

Iceman5592 said:
Fighting and training hard causes a lot of wear and tear on your body. Unless you're seriously planning on jumping into the fighting circuit, you might want to think more about what you're in martial arts for. You don't have to think of MMA as the ultimate goal for martial arts you practice.

Listen to this guy. He is giving you good advice and he trains MMA.

You've got basically free Judo and Karate lessons being thrown in your lap. For what you've stated as your goals I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at them!!!!

Hah, and my paretns are paying for Karate because that's what they believe the 'one true martial art is'. I was paying for my Muay Thai classes before because they thought it was useless.

Now I'm paying like $8 a month for Judo LOL.

I was at a Kyokushin karate school and they didnt just teach snap kicks they taught full hip round hosues also.

Back