going to korea soon, need a decent gi

gogokr431

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to Korea in 2 weeks time, and guess what, new gi just ripped last night.

I was hoping it would hold up until I get there, since here (NZ) doesn't have that many gi options..

Well, long story short, I borrowed a pair of gi pants from a mate so it's all good but now I don't know which gi to buy.

I'm looking at ATAMA, VENUM, Hayabusa, Rednose, Koral, and Keiko right now.

I heard these are decent brands, and the shopping site says they are recommended for professionals :p

I am a white belt, but I want something that lasts, because I had two cheap gis and they lasted 5 months.

------------------------------
So here are my questions,

1. Which brand lasts the longest? (reasonable price of course)
2. What is the difference between gold weave and double weave, and which one should I get? (the price difference is like 2USD)

thanks in advance guys!

No one is going to be able to give a better answer than this: Ranking Gis from Best to Worst | BJJ News | Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu | Aesopian BJJ

I personally have several Atamas in various weaves and a Padilla & Sons, I have worn a Krugans and Hayabusa in the past.

I highly recommend Padilla & Sons- cheap and by every metric, better than almost every gi on the market. It is by far my favorite gi and it was also my cheapest one.

Gold weave is a softer material, but still somewhat thick and very durable. Most people are wearing gold weaves. Double weaves are very heavy and will last forever, but are not as comfortable. There are also lightweight and ultra-light (rip-stop) gis. I have a rip stop one and I like it a lot, but I don't think they are allowed in IBJJF comp anymore.

Of the gis you listed, they are all good gis. Your gold weave Atama is sort of the "standard" gi in the universe.

Price seems to be a big issue for you. If you're looking to get the most out of spending the least, Fuji offers great value for money. You can get two Fuji single weaves for the cost of one Atama gold weave.

It's easier to train more often if you always have a clean gi available.

Thanks for the reply guys,

I'mm actually looking around 150~200USD.

All my friends at my dojo wear different gis and they have different opinions.

Most of them wear keiko though.. Mixed opinions regarding double weave vs gold weave too.

I just want a gi that will last forever XD

no gi last forever.

I had Atama, Koral.

There is a BB that sells Keiko in AKL.

I have seen the Hayabusa...pretty flash with stiching. seen some rednose in the past.

Never seen Venum.

I would say Atama or Koral aas they never let me down

no gi will last forever but some will outlast you, at that price range go for an atama double weave

If you are A2, you could buy a Break point for NZD 170 sold by a NZ website

no gi will last forever but some will outlast you, at that price range go for an atama double weave

Training in a double weave in Korea in the summer is... not advised.

Training in a double weave in Korea in the summer is... not advised.

Yes, because he is taking the whole south hemisphere with him...

Korea is in autum almost winter, its in the north hemisphere.

Winter_Time_in_Korea-resized-600.jpg

This is what's expecting him

I'll be training in Seoul, for couple months only though :)

I just emailed Padilla & Sons asking how much it would cost for the shipping to Korea.

My last gi ripped in 5 months, so I just want something that would last at least an year...

So mostly, I'll be training in New Zealand :) hottest summer would be 28c~32c but I would be in Korea during summer time XD

Yes, because he is taking the whole south hemisphere with him...

Korea is in autum almost winter, its in the north hemisphere.

Winter_Time_in_Korea-resized-600.jpg

Most of the foreigners that go to Korea are on year-long contracts to teach English so if he were one of them he'd be there through the summer. Plus double weaves are heavy in your luggage.

Oh Rod1, you never miss a chance to sound condescending!

i think the Isami shop in korea sells the ultralight and the single weave.

Which school will you train at? I'd recommend a John frankl school so you can have access to weekend training and more training partners. Plus, you can visit the other schools as well.

One of my favorite gis right now is the Korean made Musoolsa brand. I have SYR, Gameness, Atama, KillerBee, Koral, etc. to choose from, but I often wind up wearing the Musoolsa. You can save space in your luggage and buy one here for about 85 USD.

if u want a gi that will last through training 4-5 days a week, judo and bjj, get a mizuno double weave eurocomp, if it's available in your size.

i wore my first one for several years doing judo and bjj 4-5 days a week, and it was the ONLY gi i had at the time. made it through every competition, and didn't tear until this past year, got it double stitched and it's been fine since then.

if u want a gi that will last through training 4-5 days a week, judo and bjj, get a mizuno double weave eurocomp, if it's available in your size.

i wore my first one for several years doing judo and bjj 4-5 days a week, and it was the ONLY gi i had at the time. made it through every competition, and didn't tear until this past year, got it double stitched and it's been fine since then.

I have a eurocomp and love it, still use the jacket for BJJ.

but the pants are GIGANTIC. Couple dudes can swim in those things.

Back