Glover Teixeira: Ngannou Shut Up 'Boxing Guys Who Don’t Know S—t About Fighting'

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-10-31_16-58-31.png

Francis Ngannou’s impressive performance against Tyson Fury this past Saturday has drawn well-deserved praise from the MMA community.

Even former UFC light heavyweight champion Glover Teixeira, who typically maintains a low profile, published a video in Portuguese on his Instagram account while watching the fight with teammate Alex Pereira. Ngannou dropped Fury in the third round but would go on to lose a contentious split decision against “The Gypsy King.”

“Francis Ngannou… damn, my brother! It surprised me, surprised the world and shut up these boxing guys, who don't know s—t about fighting,” Texeira said. “Because they make a lot of money, they think they're the real deal and an MMA fighter won't have a chance.

Continue Reading

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/G...g-Guys-Who-Dont-Know-St-About-Fighting-191566

Francis to the whole combat sports community:
ZaKWthq.gif

View attachment 1009547

Francis Ngannou’s impressive performance against Tyson Fury this past Saturday has drawn well-deserved praise from the MMA community.

Even former UFC light heavyweight champion Glover Teixeira, who typically maintains a low profile, published a video in Portuguese on his Instagram account while watching the fight with teammate Alex Pereira. Ngannou dropped Fury in the third round but would go on to lose a contentious split decision against “The Gypsy King.”

“Francis Ngannou… damn, my brother! It surprised me, surprised the world and shut up these boxing guys, who don't know s—t about fighting,” Texeira said. “Because they make a lot of money, they think they're the real deal and an MMA fighter won't have a chance.

Continue Reading

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/G...g-Guys-Who-Dont-Know-St-About-Fighting-191566

I still think the elite boxers beat top MMA guys more often than not, but like Glover said, the gap is much smaller for MMA in boxing than boxers in MMA

In some ways having an MMA background helps with boxing. MMA guys are much better in the clinch and dirty boxing, as we saw in the Fury fight. They also know how to use their weight better to lean on opponents to tire them out.

MMA also have smaller gloves, and I think that actually makes MMA guys sharper in their defense. With the big boxing gloves on, defense might feel easier. On the other hand, we've seen top kickboxing strikers coming in and struggling against MMA striking because they are so used to blocking with the big gloves. Examples would be Reem and Saki (though Reem is strange because he's been fighting in MMA more than kickboxing, but his default defense is covering up with the small gloves)

I still think the elite boxers beat top MMA guys more often than not, but like Glover said, the gap is much smaller for MMA in boxing than boxers in MMA

In some ways having an MMA background helps with boxing. MMA guys are much better in the clinch and dirty boxing, as we saw in the Fury fight. They also know how to use their weight better to lean on opponents to tire them out.

MMA also have smaller gloves, and I think that actually makes MMA guys sharper in their defense. With the big boxing gloves on, defense might feel easier. On the other hand, we've seen top kickboxing strikers coming in and struggling against MMA striking because they are so used to blocking with the big gloves. Examples would be Reem and Saki (though Reem is strange because he's been fighting in MMA more than kickboxing, but his default defense is covering up with the small gloves)
Ngannou vs Wilder MMA Gloves

<{anton}>

<{jackyeah}><{jackyeah}>

{<redford}

Lol when I said the gap was bigger for a boxer trying to do mma around the Conor Floyd fight, sherdoggers laughed at me. Short memories, I guess

All the boxing guys were going off the assumption that this fight would go the same way most boxing matches go with MMA guys.
What those boxing guys didn't account for is Ngannous heart and determination.

I don't know where this all brings Francis but I hope only good things come his way after all he's been through to get this far.

Back