Glory Tournaments - Should they go?

Snubnoze707

High Level
@Steel
Reaction score
I know ya'll have noticed as of late Glory seems to be slimming down the amount of tournaments on the cards. This is something we've all been asking for going back years. They got to the point where they didn't mean anything, as opposed to the past when K-1 did a handful of qualifiers and then did the big yearly event which had a ton of prestige and draw.

Glory took that format and ran with it too hard. First it started with the "Grand Slam" which was over the top, 16 man one nighter with shortened rounds. It clearly didn't work and they fortunately abandoned it quickly, but then we were left with every event being saturated with tournaments, both on the main card and the SFS "under card".

So where do you guys stand? No tournaments? One yearly tournament? Keep it the same?

Last edited:
I think it adds an ex factor that makes things interesting. A great fighter could get compromized in his first fight then have a competitive match with an underdog in the finals.

I think Glory should KEEP the tournaments, but if they were going to change the format they should have one big 8 man tournament at the end of the year per each weight class. Getting rid of the tournament either way is a bad idea.

The issue isn't the format itself, it's just that there are too many of them. All we need is some occasional quality tournaments instead of every event.

Love me some tournaments. They have to mean something though.

Problem I think has been, in multiple ways, how Glory's done them. For a long time they honestly sucked at communication. Oh yes all the winners get a title shot...even when they got asked many events afterwards about the tournament wins of Londt & friends they still said oh yeah totally they're all still getting title shots. Then they didn't.

Then at least they started saying well not all of the winners get to fight for a title automatically. Good to stop misleading but now you've removed the purpose from them. Either do tournaments that are straight up good enough that whoever wins them is worthy of fighting for the title or even some road to Glory's where winner gets a contract but don't do some wishy washy halfway almost something but not quite anything tournaments.

What is the winner of this tournament getting. There needs to be an answer to that before the tournament is fought and the answer should also make some sense for the viewer and not just be "oh well it's our format".

Last edited:
Some people don't like the amount of Kunlun qualifier tournaments but you know exactly what they get. They advance in the tournament that is for the championship, no matter who the winner is.

x0fJZqU.jpg

(Kunlun could and should totally do a better job of keeping people informed though.)

Wu Lin Feng Yi Long tournament, I wonder who and for what they're fighting for...
C8TGjpyXoAA7SHJ.jpg

C8VGXuaXcAAwUKq.jpg

+Yi Long there at every turn.

Glory tournament winner gets: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
And even worse off when Ezbiri won a tournament then they go and lie about the next step afterwards to make it even muddier. Like is someone in the company paid to undo the work of others or what the fuck. Head of internal sabotage at Glory Kickboxing.

Last edited:
I would like to see one big tournament per year.

The actions they would have to make to make this idea viable imo:

1) Reformulate the ranking scoring system who only give points for wins and losses(winning against a better ranked opponent gives more points than an average opponent for example, the same for losing against a better opponent takes you way less points than losing against average opponents)...No more social media numbers influence on the rankings system BS

2) The title defenses would continue as normal,giving the top contenders title shots

3)the single matches of the divisions would be evaluated with the scoring system,in which the 7 highest scores + the Champ would participate at a 8 man one night tournament at one of the end of year events, counting with a good prize money and a trophy of Grand tournament winner(the champ wouldnt loss the title if he failed to win the tournament, it helps to create new matchups drama and everything.

action to be taken for make the format work well:

- Hire more fighters for the divisions: Especially LW, MW and LHW who barely have fighters.

-----------------------------------------------------

Benefits of the formact:

- Every match would have an importance and hype, because every win would count to a much anticipated Grand Tournament at the end of the year.

- attention of a lot of Western Kickboxing fans who miss the anual tournament formact that K-1 had.

- The big money offered on the tournament(dunno 100-150k or more depending of the success of the formact) would probably be compensated by more money entering in the org,since replacing the uninportant matches to fill a card with a system that every win counts and makes the fighters, fight fans play way more attention on the event.

Not so clear for the tournament in the next event either but with Pet, Ezbiri, Adamchuk, Hlali, Pinto and Bozaryilmaz there they should get RvR there also. Have the 6 other FWs on one side and a calm RvR with his belt on the other and all the 6 guys giving him mean stares. Then Todd can do some cheesy RvR pokerface joke. It's all lined up right there!

Last edited:
IMO they did so many tournaments, it's become more of a hassle than a joy. Also Glory barely has four good fighters in a given division, let alone four on top of the champion and top contenders (who rarely enter tournaments).

So they ran the tournaments to the ground and now the tourneys should go IMO. You must have way more legit fighters in every division to be running "contender" tournaments.

Part of me feels that you need to go either one way or the other... Tournament format, or Champion format. I love tournaments, but when I see a tournament, I want to see ALL of the best guys in it and once annually. Basically the traditional K-1 format. The problem with that is ALL includes the reigning champion. Then you run into this issue of champions keeping their belts after losing a fight because it was a tournament fight, and not a title fight. If you make it so that the champ loses his title in a tournament then that really isn't fair either because it's not a single 5 round fight.

Glory has tried variations of tournaments and guys lets face it, they haven't taken off like they probably should in the US, which was a clear target market for them. I think at this point we can all agree the tournaments have lost meaning completely, I think they should do what I had hoped that they would have done with this promotion when it first started, follow in the footsteps of their acquisition in Its Showtime... go with the Champion format.

Last edited:
3 eight man tournaments a year. They have 6 divisions so there would be a year in between a new tournament in the same weight class. That allows fighter turnover so it is not the same old guys every time. Plus in my mind it makes the tournament winner more prestigious when it only takes place every other year

You keep your champs and they fight in the tournament with their choice of first round opponent. If champs do not win they fight the tournament winner for their regular weight class belt in both of their next fights. Also if the reigning weight class champ lost in the first or second fight in the tournament that person would be #1 contender to the belt and have first crack after the two champs fight

Last edited:
one thing is safe to say:

they need to end this contender tournament bullshit, and Making 8-16 man old formact tournaments will be required from them on filling up most of the divisions

I think they can only get a rid of the regular title defenses formact if they have at least 12 notable fighters in each divisions,its pretty hard to figure out how glory will do it,they still slow on the approach and hiring good fighters.

Kunlun is smashing glory on the divisions they want not only because of money,they go "door to door" in every small-mid size organizations looking for new material

after all these years kunlun didnt hired only guys who fight everywhere but also from a lot of organizations:

-RISE
-Krush
-FFC
-WGP Kickboxing
-Enfusion
-Glory
-WLF
-Superkombat
-WFL
-W5
-A1
-Tafnet
-KOK
-Partouche KB Tour
-Multiple french occasional promotions(Nuit de Titans,Fight night st Tropez etc)
-Multiple Italian occasional promotions (Octagon, Thai boxe mania etc)
-Multiple Australian Promotions( Evolution, Kings of combat etc)

And now an former K-1 elite guy

meanwhile glory tried hard to have an north american kb champion...

Last edited:
The tournaments should go. They're not always fair. One fighter could have an easier or harder first fight than the other and they're not going into the second fight fresh. Would prefer Glory to take away tournament and adds some more rounds the to fights like Damn 3 x 3 rounds is BS. That's 9 minutes. These are supposed to be professional athletes. Change all fights to 5 or even 6 rounds.

The tournaments should go. They're not always fair. One fighter could have an easier or harder first fight than the other and they're not going into the second fight fresh. Would prefer Glory to take away tournament and adds some more rounds the to fights like Damn 3 x 3 rounds is BS. That's 9 minutes. These are supposed to be professional athletes. Change all fights to 5 or even 6 rounds.

never understood that argument. Sprinters are great atheletes as well for only running 10 seconds.

3 x 3 rounds give off a different dynamic and pace then 5 x 3 rounds. It's just fine, like it is with the championship rounds.

Last edited:
I’d like to see tournaments done once a year having a tournament every other card cheapens them in my opinion. The contender tournament thing is a good idea in principle, but doesn’t really work if you don’t enforce the winners as maditory challengers.

They should consider doing what Pride did, have a fancy Grand Prix every once in a while. If the divisional title holder dosent win the tournament or doesn’t want to compete in it have the tournament winner and the title holder have a showdown. Fans have always loved the whole champion vs champion angle.

Some people don't like the amount of Kunlun qualifier tournaments but you know exactly what they get. They advance in the tournament that is for the championship, no matter who the winner is.

x0fJZqU.jpg

(Kunlun could and should totally do a better job of keeping people informed though.)

Wu Lin Feng Yi Long tournament, I wonder who and for what they're fighting for...
C8TGjpyXoAA7SHJ.jpg

C8VGXuaXcAAwUKq.jpg

+Yi Long there at every turn.

Glory tournament winner gets: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wonder how much money is in that pile.

"Maybe is an idea to think about a tournament"

Cor Hemmers on HW division timestamped

Man I wrote out a bunch ways for them to do a HW tournament!
A year ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back