Glory 38 : CHICAGO ( UFC Fightpass - 7PM CST / ESPN 3 - 9:30PM CST) LIVE DISCUSSION

Card was decent but overall I came away thinking "This is why Kickboxing isn't big in the States".

The overall production of the show while better than a lot of other promotions just isn't going to get them far in this market. The commentary was pretty rough on this one with fighters being called the wrong name multiple times and quotes like "He lost by taking a liver to the knee"
Come on, a couple of awkward instances of a commentator mis-speaking are pretty trivial in the overall scheme of things. I know a few American MMA fans like myself who watched this live on Fight Pass and ESPN3 instead of the tape delayed Bellator card from Belfast last night, if that's any anecdotal evidence of some things Glory is doing right.

Come on, a couple of awkward instances of a commentator mis-speaking are pretty trivial in the overall scheme of things. I know a few American MMA fans like myself who watched this live on Fight Pass and ESPN3 instead of the tape delayed Bellator card from Belfast last night, if that's any anecdotal evidence of some things Glory is doing right.
Not saying it's not good enough for average fight fans, it's just not a good enough product to be "big" in the US like everyone keeps asking about.

LHW is for now officially the worst division on glory

Agreed. LHW is just awful across all combat sports. there aren't enough big people who can fight to fill out divisions at this weight range. LHW in Glory is just a complete clusterfuck;

I do have the idea that amarican refs wave off the fights faster. Lain could have continued imo. He was standing after the count and did not look out to me. But maybe Im wrong have to check it again.

looked like he was wobbled and took one second too long to get up. the ref counted to 8 then Hameur-Lain slowly got up and the ref let out a half assed "niine" while waving him off LOL.......

kickboxing refs are the worst. I'm sure they don't even know the rules they're enforcing.

referees can see in fighters eyes, its different from up close compared to watching at home. maybe the ref made a decision that was best for the safety/health of haneur-lain

referees can see in fighters eyes, its different from up close compared to watching at home. maybe the ref made a decision that was best for the safety/health of haneur-lain

Indeed this is the best for the fighters safety/health. I just have a feeling that amarican refs wave off faster. Just a feeling not saving its a good or a bad thing.

WrIT5PYNmyg

Glory 38 Vakhitov vs. Cavalari

Glory need to sign Yodsanklai after his performance last Sunday. Kunlun is not giving him any exposure.

Isn't Kulun broadcast to like half of China? I'd say that's decent exposure, not quite UFC fightpass level but close.
Well in England games like snooker and darts are broadcasted on various channels but that doesn't mean people watch it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought only a small percentage of Chinese follow Kunlun and China is so closed up to most of the world especially the west.

Well in England games like snooker and darts are broadcasted on various channels but that doesn't mean people watch it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought only a small percentage of Chinese follow Kunlun and China is so closed up to most of the world especially the west.
That isn't what Shadess has lead me to believe. Moreover, even if only a small percentage of people in China followed Kunlun, there are a hell of alot of people in China so the number would still be significant and moreover almost no one in the west follows kickboxing, so comparatively kickboxing in China would still be a million times bigger. The way people in this subforum talk, you'd think that the zenith of kickboxing was in the west and that it had a huge fan base there. But it isn't and it doesn't. Kickboxing in the west isn't even big enough to be called a niche sport.

Last edited:
Moreover even if only a small percentage of people in China followed Kunlun, there are a hell of alot of people in China so the number would still be significant and moreover almost no one in the west follows kickboxing.
Well, sure it's a small % but yeah out of a huge pool it does total to a lot of people.

The way people in this subforum talk, you'd think that the zenith of kickboxing was in the west and that it had a huge fan base there. But it isn't and it doesn't. Kickboxing in the west isn't even big enough to be called a niche sport.
For whatever reason people seem to have a pretty dismissive attitude to how the sport is doing in China. Just to draw a dumb western example Kunlun is broadcast on like the Chinese equivalents of let's say NBC and ESPN. Not NBC Sports and some ESPN web thing but the proper channels. Oh and they're broadcast like 40 something weeks of the year on Jiangsu. In a couple single instances Wu Lin Feng was the most watched tv in a country of ~1.4 billion people in the last year or so. Glory of Heroes got onto two big channels too.

Fact of the matter is there's more broadcast tv on board with the sport in China than anywhere else ever and the highest paid athletes are in China. Obviously they're not all being paid some huge money but Adesanya for example said he's being paid more by the Chinese (=Glory of Heroes) than Glory. Glory of Heroes also just outbid Glory on Gabriel Varga. Varga chose to go to Bellator over them and Glory though.

But w/e Spike is uuuge for the sport, no blind western bias in play there.

Last edited:
Don't care what you guys say Saenchai's career changed after he got the opportunity to fight on UFC Fight Pass™. Now he's getting the chance to train with fight legends like Phil Nurse.

Don't care what you guys say Saenchai's career changed after he got the opportunity to fight on UFC Fight Pass™. Now he's getting the chance to train with fight legends like Phil Nurse.
That's KRU Phil Nurse...

People on this subforum are just a bunch of ignorant motherfuckers who think that the world revolves around the west because that's where they live.
Well I live in the west so I can only talk about my view of things within the English speaking world. I don't speak Chinese or mingle around in their forums (if they have any) so obviously I'm rooting for a fighter and his fights to be recognized more in the west where I can hear English commentators, read English articles, hear combat enthusiasts like Joe Rogan bring their fights up, have discussions with other fans and etc. In the combat world (at least the English speaking world) it seems like no one talked about Yod's fight yet many were talking about Glory this weekend. I just hope kunlun start to cater to the west not only for my own selfish reasons but because it would be smart. A lot of fight fans in the west who are bored of boxing and also find the ground game in MMA boring. Kickboxing/MuayThai should really be more popular than it is.
Probably a form of white privilege.
Yeah because everyone in the west is white.

The defence rests.
What's the problem? Many people follow Joe Rogan on social media and watch his podcasts? Guys like him have the power in the combat world to help a sport and their fighters grow. He may not be as knowledgeable of kickboxing as he is with MMA but interested to see how he views many of the top guys in kickboxing and their fights. Especially fighters like Petrosyan, Kaew, Sittichai, Yod and Superbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back