Glory 38 : CHICAGO ( UFC Fightpass - 7PM CST / ESPN 3 - 9:30PM CST) LIVE DISCUSSION

Zhuravlev will get to a title shot soon enough.
if he does it i hope he performs good and destroy Machado easily,he is the best overall kickboxer by very far,his loss to Machado was just depressing to see

as expected Cavalari going 100% from the start,Vakhitov is going to use it and start to punish him in the body line when he starts to gets exhausted

only a motivated Zhuravlev or Saki can give a competitive fight-defeat over Vakhitov

cavalari is awesome but he is degrees below from vakhitov as a technichan

i was expecting knockdowns but not a knockout

Did Todd say Vakhitov doesn't look nearly as strong as Cavalari? I was thinking Cavalari looked a bit small.

Pretty good night of fights and fun stoppages. I enjoyed it, especially since I predicted and bet the two upsets of Groenhart over Thongchai and Machado over Ilunga, according to the bookie odds at least.

What's with kickboxings complete hatred for clinching? I'm not even talking about holding. Clinching for offense has gone from being legal, to only one hand on the head allowed, only three seconds, no hands allowed, and now illegal if you don't throw 3+ knees within 2 seconds.

Look at Thongchai-Groenhart. To turn someone around and especially into the ropes is an offensive starter, not holding. Sure Thongchai had moments where he ceased looking for offense, but plenty of times he was separated while working through steps to get to an endpoint. I mean, the ref is there to say how dare you and "this is fighting, not holding" within the second of any pause in action. How weird. And as far as the holding goes, Groenhart reciprocated and obliged his fair share of times. *crickets*

Are Thais refereed harder than others? I don't watch much Glory but I've seen enough where a ref isn't so excited to get in like when I have seen Saenchai and Thongchai fight. Presumption, subconscious, and/or preconceived notions could certainly be at play when Thais fight.

Hell, straight holding is not only acceptable to a degree in boxing, mma and muay thai, it's a tactic and something the best fighters use. Mayweather would have a dozen DQ's if kickboxing was running boxing. Kickboxing is out of its fucking mind on this issue and they seemingly don't know how to go about it from fight to fight.

Last edited:
IMG_1254.JPG

View from my seats tonight. Great night of fights. First un-aired exhibition ended in a brutal KO. Really wish kickboxing got over more in America. The pace is so much better than MMA.

What's with kickboxings complete hatred for clinching? I'm not even talking about holding. Clinching for offense has gone from being legal, to only one hand on the head allowed, only three seconds, no hands allowed, and now illegal if you don't throw 3+ knees within 2 seconds.

Look at Thongchai-Groenhart. To turn someone around and especially into the ropes is an offensive starter, not holding. Sure Thongchai had moments where he ceased looking for offense, but plenty of times he was separated while working through steps to get to an endpoint. I mean, the ref is there to say how dare you and "this is fighting, not holding" within the second of any pause in action. How weird. And as far as the holding goes, Groenhart reciprocated and obliged his fair share of times. *crickets*

Are Thais refereed harder than others? I don't watch much Glory but I've seen enough where a ref isn't so excited to get in like when I have seen Saenchai and Thongchai fight. Presumption, subconscious, and/or preconceived notions could certainly be at play when Thais fight.

Hell, straight holding is not only acceptable to a degree in boxing, mma and muay thai, it's a tactic and something the best fighters use. Mayweather would have a dozen DQ's if kickboxing was running boxing. Kickboxing is out of its fucking mind on this issue and they seemingly don't know how to go about it from fight to fight.

I definitely see what your saying idk as much about kickboxing but the clinch rules seem pretty weird. Noticed it during the Pinto fight.

Didnt look like low blows to me though. Looked like the kidney area.

Didnt look like low blows to me though. Looked like the kidney area.
Yeah the second one did definitely not look like a low blow to me. Who knows how the fight would have played out if they scored it an 8 count, and didn't deduct a point for holding. Not saying it would necessarily have changed the result but it would have been more fair imo.

Last edited:
View attachment 204297

View from my seats tonight. Great night of fights. First un-aired exhibition ended in a brutal KO. Really wish kickboxing got over more in America. The pace is so much better than MMA.

I had great seats too, really enjoyed the fights. The first fight wasn't exhibition, just ameratuer, though I think you basically meant that lol. I've trained with the guy, he hits like a truck for his weight class. Was really happy to see him get a big win

Are Thais refereed harder than others?

Yes. Watch the Souwer vs Khamal fight and see how much Souwer is allowed to get away with. If that had been a Thai doing that they probably would have been disqualified or they would have ko'd their opponent quickly, one of the two.

It is even worse in K-1 you cant even motion like you are about to clinch lol

It is even worse in K-1 you cant even motion like you are about to clinch lol
I'm waiting for Kaew to get DQ'd for it he seems to get warned alot for it even when not using it for knees.

Card was decent but overall I came away thinking "This is why Kickboxing isn't big in the States".

The overall production of the show while better than a lot of other promotions just isn't going to get them far in this market. The commentary was pretty rough on this one with fighters being called the wrong name multiple times and quotes like "He lost by taking a liver to the knee"

I had great seats too, really enjoyed the fights. The first fight wasn't exhibition, just ameratuer, though I think you basically meant that lol. I've trained with the guy, he hits like a truck for his weight class. Was really happy to see him get a big win

Very nice and thanks for the correction lol I went to high school with that Robert Lee guy that fought in the amateurs as well, unfortunately he lost.

Had some good fights. I wasnt disapointed by the event

I do have the idea that amarican refs wave off the fights faster. Lain could have continued imo. He was standing after the count and did not look out to me. But maybe Im wrong have to check it again.

Back