Global Pay-Per-View buys for Hopkins-Dawson

puffineater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys estimate for global Pay-Per-View buys for this recent Hopkins-Dawson fight?

Usually boxing reports only the US PPV buys but since the UFC reports global PPV buys, how do you guys think Dawson-Hopkins did in Canada, Australia, and the UK?

Its got to be around over 800,000.

Not to thread jack - but what were the Mayweather-Ortiz buys?

No way. PPV isn't even big outside of the US if I recall. This fight was originally supposed to be on HBO alone.

Steve Kim says,"Hopkins-Dawson had 3,888 tix sold, 4,521 comps( of which 3,210 which were used) for a gate of $285,000" pathetic really.

It was on PPV in Mexico, or some latin country. When I was going through the streams there was a Spanish one which said PPV will start in: countdown.

Not to thread jack - but what were the Mayweather-Ortiz buys?

Schaefer said it could go as high as 1.8 million
Dan Rafael said it definitely got over 1 million
Steve Kim said he had a source say it could be as low 850k but has pretty much taken that back at this stage since people dragged it out of proportion.

I think this would be lucky to get 100k. What did Hopkins/Jones do, 150k something.

I believe Hopkins-Jones did around the 150,000 mark. I wonder what that fight did globally.

I'm just looking for an apples to apples comparison between global boxing buys and UFC buys.

No one has any clue

It's hard enough finding PPV buy numbers for UK or Canada only PPV events let alone other countries; UFC reporters seem happy to go digging around to find out where these things are coming from whereas in boxing everyone just waits on the HBO numbers; Also the UFC tends to either be on PPV in the same countries each time while boxing switches it around depending on who's fighting on the card, or sometimes purely at random, so it becomes even harder; At the end of the day we'd be likely to hear more about TV ratings for each fight in different countries than we ever would about PPV buys, and we hardly ever hear about the TV ratings outside the usual countries; Case in point, Wlad and Vitali are two of the biggest stars in Eastern Europe so why do we never hear what kind of viewing figures they get in those countries, let alone their home country?

One strong sign that boxing fans don't care about non-HBO buys is the fact that Hatton's fights against Pac and Mayweather actually got an added 1 million buys from the UK as well as the US yet nobody ever bothers bringing that up; It's also been well know that Tyson-Lewis pulled 800k buys extra from the UK so in reality the record for most PPV buys is Tyson-Lewis with closer to 3 million ppv buys; You think boxing fans would push these points more but no

Last edited:
No one has any clue

It's hard enough finding PPV buy numbers for UK or Canada only PPV events let alone other countries; UFC reporters seem happy to go digging around to find out where these things are coming from whereas in boxing everyone just waits on the HBO numbers; Also the UFC tends to either be on PPV in the same countries each time while boxing switches it around depending on who's fighting on the card, or sometimes purely at random, so it becomes even harder; At the end of the day we'd be likely to hear more about TV ratings for each fight in different countries than we ever would about PPV buys, and we hardly ever hear about the TV ratings outside the usual countries; Case in point, Wlad and Vitali are two of the biggest stars in Eastern Europe so why do we never hear what kind of viewing figures they get in those countries, let alone their home country?

One strong sign that boxing fans don't care about non-HBO buys is the fact that Hatton's fights against Pac and Mayweather actually got an added 1 million buys from the UK as well as the US yet nobody ever bothers bringing that up; It's also been well know that Tyson-Lewis pulled 800k buys extra from the UK so in reality the record for most PPV buys is Tyson-Lewis with closer to 3 million ppv buys; You think boxing fans would push these points more but no

It is very strange the way that boxing pushes the PPV figures if infact they are doing strong business on a global level on PPV. Hatton-Mayweather did something akin to 1.4 million in the UK albeit at a lower price point domestically but "technically" if reported in totality that fight did break 2 million ppv buys.

I just find it interesting that the UFC points out strong PPV figures but apparently from a global level compared to that of a domestic figure for boxing.

Most top level boxers draw disgusting ratings in their respective countries when they fight.

I have a question about UFC payouts, do the UFC fighters get any part of the Gate money? I know Alverez had to hold his fight at the staple center cause he wanted his own Gate money and not share it with Floyd. Can GSP get the gate money for fights in Canada or does that money go to Zuffa.

People know what they are getting with a hop fight.. they are getting a slow paced bout with a lot of clinching... That doesn't appeal to the average fan...

I agree with most of these posts. With the last 6 or so UFC PPV's doing at or around 300k I would love to know how many from each country.

I have a question about UFC payouts, do the UFC fighters get any part of the Gate money? I know Alverez had to hold his fight at the staple center cause he wanted his own Gate money and not share it with Floyd. Can GSP get the gate money for fights in Canada or does that money go to Zuffa.

Fighters are paid from major revenue streams so yes, in essence they do get paid from the gate.

If revenue is generated from the gate, PPV, and foreign tv rights, you could say a fighter gets paid out of those 3 pots.

Fighters are paid from major revenue streams so yes, in essence they do get paid from the gate.

If revenue is generated from the gate, PPV, and foreign tv rights, you could say a fighter gets paid out of those 3 pots.

Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if they got any part of the sales from the event or if the got just a base salary of what Zuffa thought they were worth.

Back