Global Pay-Per-View buys for Hopkins-Dawson

I agree with most of these posts. With the last 6 or so UFC PPV's doing at or around 300k I would love to know how many from each country.

well Meltzer said this for UFC 130 which got 300k buys ... he also made another reference to the international/domestic market for a ppv in a later event but I forget which:

"The strongest markets for UFC 130 look to have been Las Vegas, Calgary, Toronto, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Melbourne, Sydney, Edmonton, Halifax, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal (interesting to note that market doing well for a non GSP fight),Honolulu, Sacramento, San Diego and Orlando."

17 cities
9 canadian
7 US (or do we count Hawaii?)
1 Australian
I understand this is matched by bar reports on the UFC website somewhere but I haven't seen it.

If you splice the numbers from that it's quite clear Canada is the strongest market by a decent bit. Also worth noting that for UFC Rio Meltzer commented that the US market dropped 15%. When all's said and done these events are likely getting less than Toney-Jones got from the US. Meaning the UFC's domestic PPV numbers are about the same as a poor boxing PPV.

No one has any clue

It's hard enough finding PPV buy numbers for UK or Canada only PPV events let alone other countries; UFC reporters seem happy to go digging around to find out where these things are coming from whereas in boxing everyone just waits on the HBO numbers; Also the UFC tends to either be on PPV in the same countries each time while boxing switches it around depending on who's fighting on the card, or sometimes purely at random, so it becomes even harder; At the end of the day we'd be likely to hear more about TV ratings for each fight in different countries than we ever would about PPV buys, and we hardly ever hear about the TV ratings outside the usual countries; Case in point, Wlad and Vitali are two of the biggest stars in Eastern Europe so why do we never hear what kind of viewing figures they get in those countries, let alone their home country?

One strong sign that boxing fans don't care about non-HBO buys is the fact that Hatton's fights against Pac and Mayweather actually got an added 1 million buys from the UK as well as the US yet nobody ever bothers bringing that up; It's also been well know that Tyson-Lewis pulled 800k buys extra from the UK so in reality the record for most PPV buys is Tyson-Lewis with closer to 3 million ppv buys; You think boxing fans would push these points more but no

The fight wasn't on PPV in the UK it was on Boxnation, a channel of only boxing. I guess you could try and find rating or something like that but the fight was on at 5 am so they would be low regardless.

well Meltzer said this for UFC 130 which got 300k buys ... he also made another reference to the international/domestic market for a ppv in a later event but I forget which:

"The strongest markets for UFC 130 look to have been Las Vegas, Calgary, Toronto, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Melbourne, Sydney, Edmonton, Halifax, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal (interesting to note that market doing well for a non GSP fight),Honolulu, Sacramento, San Diego and Orlando."

17 cities
9 canadian
7 US (or do we count Hawaii?)
1 Australian
I understand this is matched by bar reports on the UFC website somewhere but I haven't seen it.

If you splice the numbers from that it's quite clear Canada is the strongest market by a decent bit. Also worth noting that for UFC Rio Meltzer commented that the US market dropped 15%. When all's said and done these events are likely getting less than Toney-Jones got from the US. Meaning the UFC's domestic PPV numbers are about the same as a poor boxing PPV.

Those stats don't necessarily paint to me the picture that Canada as a country is strongest PPV market for UFC. It tells me that Canada has a higher percentage of high concentration PPV cities compared to that of the US.

According to web stats from Alexa and Google trends, the lion's share of traffic related to UFC/MMA comes from the US but the highest concentration of city specific traffic comes from Canada.

Does that make sense?

The fight wasn't on PPV in the UK it was on Boxnation, a channel of only boxing. I guess you could try and find rating or something like that but the fight was on at 5 am so they would be low regardless.

I didn't say it was on PPV in the UK.

I didn't say it was on PPV in the UK.

Oh sorry mate, I miss took that 'It's hard enough to find PPV buy numbers for UK' part, my mistake.

Oh sorry mate, I miss took that 'It's hard enough to find PPV buy numbers for UK' part, my mistake.

no problem I think I was talking in more of a general sense about PPV.

Those stats don't necessarily paint to me the picture that Canada as a country is strongest PPV market for UFC. It tells me that Canada has a higher percentage of high concentration PPV cities compared to that of the US.

According to web stats from Alexa and Google trends, the lion's share of traffic related to UFC/MMA comes from the US but the highest concentration of city specific traffic comes from Canada.

Does that make sense?

Meltzer did say strongest markets not highest concentration. It wouldn't really surprise me given all that stuff Dana was saying about Canada being the Mecca of MMA.

Here's another interesting point on the decline of UFC ppv buys. Back at UFC 66 they made sure to point out that the PPV buys were a domestic 1 million buys. That means the current international market for the UFC is worse than 2006's domestic market.

– UFC PPV REVENUE TOPS $200 MILLION IN 2006 | MMAWeekly.com
"With its total of 1,050,000 domestic PPV buys, UFC 66 actually drew more domestic buys than WWE’s last six pay-per-events of 2006 combined. The last six WWE PPVs of 2006 combined to draw approximately 880,000 domestic PPV buys, which is still 170,000 buys short of UFC 66."

Meltzer did say strongest markets not highest concentration. It wouldn't really surprise me given all that stuff Dana was saying about Canada being the Mecca of MMA.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Meltzer said that the strongest PPV markets aka cities were the Canadian cities mentioned. Those cities have the highest PPV buy-rate compared to all cities globally.

This doesn't imply that Canada has a higher buy-rate as a country then the US has as a country. Your profile states that you live in Ireland so I'm not sure how much exposure and marketing you feel actually takes place in the US.

The UFC markets massively in the states with billboards, radio, tv, newspaper, magazine, etc. More than 50 percent of the online traffic to the biggest MMA/UFC based net entities comes from the US compared to Canada's 8-10 percent.

The US can easily have 20-30 major cities that average less than several thousand pay-per-view buys that wouldn't register as strong markets while Canada shines due to the stronger buy-rates per capita. I just find it hard to believe based on the stats that a country of 30 million people can out-buy a country of 300 million when looking at the web stats.

UFC ppv buys are becoming lower because of more events. Next year theres gonna 36 events, so it'll probably average as low as 300k buys

Damn shame about the Hopkins-Dawson PPV figures... here it is from Dan Rafael's twitter account.

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
I asked Richard Schaefer today about Hopkins-Dawson PPV numbers. His answer was simply: "Not good." It likely did less than 100,000.

Damn shame about the Hopkins-Dawson PPV figures... here it is from Dan Rafael's twitter account.

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
I asked Richard Schaefer today about Hopkins-Dawson PPV numbers. His answer was simply: "Not good." It likely did less than 100,000.
Good. It didn't deserve any higher.

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael

I bet no mention of whether it was international or domestic
This is actually higher than I thought it be
B-hop's no PPV draw

I bet no mention of whether it was international or domestic
This is actually higher than I thought it be
B-hop's no PPV draw

You're right... B-hop hasn't been a good draw, especially after his marginal performances against Wright and Calzaghe.

It's amazing that he did over 300,000 buys with Winky in 2007.

I wonder what this fight did globally. What do you think it did?

Back