Giorgio Petrosyan vs Buakaw ~ When Western Boxing faces Muay Thai; Video Breakdown

Western boxing? Petrosyan is a kickboxer with a background in MuayThai.

Petrosyans style is boxing based, he uses dips and snap backs, check hooks, in and out movement. He is proficient at boxing, that is why he is so succesful as Southpaw. That is why I wrote when Western Boxing faces Muay Thai. Petrosyan's style is boxing based, not Muay Thai.​

Petrosyans style is boxing based, he uses dips and snap backs, check hooks, in and out movement. He is proficient at boxing, that is why he is so succesful as Southpaw. That is why I wrote when Western Boxing faces Muay Thai. Petrosyan's style is boxing based, not Muay Thai.​
No his style is MuayThai based. He just uses boxing techniques. There is a difference. Plenty of MuayThai fighters use all those techniques you just mentioned.

I am well aware of that my friend, there is plenty of Nak Muay's who ultilize boxing techniques. However, Buakaw for the most part is a autentic Muay Thai artist who uses roundhouse kick's knee's and clinch techniques. He is not using his hands like most kickboxers does, and that is common with fighters who ultilize pure Muay Thai. Petrosyan relies on his hands , he uses autentic boxing , that is why I decided to name my title for this breakdown as following. Commentators call him kickboxing's Floyd Mayweather because he is so neat at boxing.

I am well aware of that my friend, there is plenty of Nak Muay's who ultilize boxing techniques. However, Buakaw for the most part is a autentic Muay Thai artist who uses roundhouse kick's knee's and clinch techniques. He is not using his hands like most kickboxers does, and that is common with fighters who ultilize pure Muay Thai. Petrosyan relies on his hands , he uses autentic boxing , that is why I decided to name my title for this breakdown as following. Commentators call him kickboxing's Floyd Mayweather because he is so neat at boxing.
I always thought they called him the kickboxing Floyd Mayweather because of his great surgeon like technique and defense. Petrosyan is successful in kickboxing not just because of his boxing skills but also his MuayThai skills. The title of this thread is "when western boxing faces muaythai". And there are better examples out there in kickboxing where fighters literally just use boxing. Petrosyan did well in this fight because of his understanding of MuayThai. Those boxing skills alone wouldn't of helped him against someone like Buakaw who has faced many good boxers in K1. Petrosyans left kick, knees, boxing, timing, positioning and everything else altogether is what helped him as it has in his kickboxing career.

Its a great video thou. I wasn't trying to take anything away from the video. I just don't agree with thet title. It should be called "when kickboxers/muaythai fighters use boxing effectively" because if you truly had a western boxing vs MuayThai fight Petrosyan wouldn't fit the "western boxing" criteria. Like a lot of the things he's doing in this video like catching Buakaws teep before he threw the uppercut is a MuayThai technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, of course Petrosyan are well rounded, he uses excellens muay thai combined with his great boxing skills, however I believe Petrosyan's most dominant part of his Arsenal is his boxing. :)

Saw that title and knew someone would chastise him, I'm a bit disappointed the result was less sarcastic than I had hoped. "Boxing vs Muay Thai, bro? Bisping vs Silva is the true epitome of that battle!"

I apoligize if the title is misleading, it is my interpretation of the fight. I hope you enjoyed the breakdown though..

Petrosyan has got a total hybrid style. He's got a Muay Thai stance and flow, but utilizes a lot of Western Boxing techniques as mentioned.

What I like the most about him is he picks open shots rather than combo spam the guard like a lot of Dutch fighters.

I totally agree from above, he is the most complete striker I've seen, period.

Wouldn't call it boxing based considering how long he's been doing and competing Muay Thai in Thailand prior to his run in Kickboxing, but OK. I don't see him doing anything a Muay Thai guy isn't able to do. Maybe "boxing focused", but I don't remember Petro having any amateur or pro boxing fights, just saying. Very misleading.

From my recollection the fight was modified MT. Clinching was allowed but no elbows.

Yeah, I don't think Buakaw knew either. I remember Giorgio clinch dumped him and he had a 'oh we're allowed to do that?' look on his face. I remember him winning this fight pretty clearly from memory....

Good fight but buakaw should have won this fight.

This fight was for Buakaw's WMC MT title or something right? I always wondered how an MT title could be on the line when the match wasnt FTR.

petro is still so butthurt about this fight...in his bio he goes as far as saying that everybody was booing buakaw and cheering for him and what a robbery this was for him.....because after the fight he was in good shape whereby buakaw had to be help backstage because his leg was fucked.

i love petro but he needs to rewatch his own videos from time to time...

Back