Gi Patch Taboo

Bringin It back form the dead again son! haha

anyway I was thinking about putting my sergeant rank either on my arm or on the front of my gi. I recently got out of the Marines and am pretty new to BJJ so I have to check the etiquette for both my school (Gracie Barra) and the USMC.

Put your belt level on you military uniform. Gracie Barra, I give it a .01% chance.

yeah I definitely cant mess with my military uniform (nor would I want to) but it does seem like personalizing the GB uni would be a no-go too. then again there is a guy that goes to my gym and he has a "super-jew" patch on his pants. lol

template.jpg

i've only ever put my school's patch on my gi, for competition purposes.

but whatever, do what you want with your own gi. be prepared for whatever backlash you might encounter. you're allowed to be an individual.

My old gi had a Cowboys From Hell patch on it. Nobody ever said anything bad about it. I got the odd "Cool, man" comment and that was about it.

One of my training partners passed away last year. I had patches made in his honor. That is the only patch I've been compelled to put on my gis.

I have only team patches. And damn this thread is nearly ten years old!

yeah, your a whore if you are wearing patches.

Why put all that crap on unless someone is paying you to wear it.
Its newbies wanting to look "cool" or experienced.... just leave your gi how it is man. save your self some $.. let you game speak for it self.
This post says it all. Dont wear useless patches.

The only issue I ever had was wearing a gi with my old school patch on it. My instuctor was pissed and insisted that I remove it or cover it up.

I never understood this. At my academy, my instructor could care less what patch you wear. We have guys wearing all patches here: Alliance, MG, Saulo's UJJ and he has zero problems with it. I kind of like it, it feels like a true BJJ brotherhood.

I never understood this. At my academy, my instructor could care less what patch you wear. We have guys wearing all patches here: Alliance, MG, Saulo's UJJ and he has zero problems with it. I kind of like it, it feels like a true BJJ brotherhood.

Out of hespect I wouldn't wear a different school patch unless it's afiliated with the same team. I wouldn't drop in a GB wearing an alliance patch that's for sure.

Totally get that I supposed. But if the instructor could care less, then is not disrespectful I believe.

Out of hespect I wouldn't wear a different school patch unless it's afiliated with the same team. I wouldn't drop in a GB wearing an alliance patch that's for sure.

I would for an Open Mat, but otherwise i'm with you. I have blank gi's just for visiting other schools.

It makes you stand out and be pretty. Everyone looks at you and says, "Wow, I want to kick that guys ass for being so colorful." And because of that you get better. Plus for Gi guys, its like a tattoo, because the gi is like a second skin. Just treat it like a tattoo. Put a tiger on your gi, or a heart with an arrow through it that says "mom". I really want a mom one.
Fair explaination. thanks for the honesty

For competition, I wear a blue gi with zero patches but I train in a camouflage gi with several random patches (an american flag, a Brazilian flag, and a patch from my karate dojo). I like the idea of being an individual as long as I'm not being offensive or disrespectful to my team

I'd wear the Reddit patch, for sure. I actually have one that I've yet to sew onto a gi.

Back