Getting TKO'd by a weight cut should = immediately forced to move up a division

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by IGotAHugePeckah, Dec 6, 2018.

1. IGotAHugePeckah

IGotAHugePeckah Green Belt

People talk about getting rid of weight cutting - fight fans with common sense know that's virtually impossible. But of course there are positive steps you can take for the safety of the fighters, and this seems like a no brainer.

Missing weight is one thing, but if you are actually hospitalized by your weight cut, where you have organs shutting down and the body is on the brink of death, you should be immediately forced to move up a division.

Just take the example of Sijara Eubanks moving up to 135 after missing weight a couple times, including for a world title fight. Lets say Sijara was in the middle of a weight cut to 125 and, god forbid, passed away. How could the UFC possibly defend themselves?

"Okay, so you have footage of her nearly dying on TUF to make weight. Then you have her rushed to the emergency room during a weight cut with her kidneys shutting down, pulled out of a fight. And after all that... you still let her try to cut to 125 again?"

Something needs to be done about these unprofessionals missing weight. It's a huge liability for the UFC and fighter safety.

2. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Purple Belt

Anyone missing weight by 5+ pounds OR being pulled from a card due to bad weight cuts shouldn't be allowed to compete at that weight for a period of time (1 year?).

But then you'll have to deal with fighters claiming they "got the flu". I mean, Max Holloway refused to admit his health issues were weight cut related. How do you prove a fighter wrong? I think any fighter pulling out of a fight during fight week, with non-physical injuries and no personal issues, needs to be banned from that weight class for at least a year.

3. Only Here for Attachments

Only Here for Attachments Free from yellow thanks to my state's congress

Anyone who misses weight by any margin, don't care if it's 10 lbs. or 0.1 lbs., should be forced to undergo gastric bypass surgery since they obviously can't control their appetite.

Cafe, Draxton, Ice Cold and 1 other person like this.
  4. MusclesMarinara

MusclesMarinara Friends with Bigfoot

I refuse to be told by your weight classes what I can and can't do.
    #Ieattoo

Mangar likes this.
  5. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

This is categorically incorrect.

NCAA wrestling didn't make changes to weight cutting until there was a string of grave injuries and deaths. The policies they put in place to monitor weight cutting are what we should rightly call 'common sense' and they are effective.

You get certified for your lowest weight class by a medical doctor each year. If you'd like to move down to a lower weight class, its very difficult and requires another clearance.

Throughout the year, specific gravity tests (urine sample) examines your hydration. You simply cannot get certified for a weight class by weighing in dehydrated, end of story.

Student athletes stopped dying, and similar programs were adopted at the high school level in many states.

The UFC can cheaply and effectively end hero water cuts with a similar policy, but I'm afraid it will take a grave injury or death before they take action.

Vegesus44, turna, thobra and 6 others like this.
  6. Goatenstein

Goatenstein Brown Belt

People will never stop the dangerous cutting and everyone else should mind their own business instead of being anti-freedom crybabies.

Mangar likes this.
  7. boxingskills

boxingskills Training to break world records.

8. HHJ

HHJ Plutonium Belt

Nah,tiramisu cant stop khabib from the red panties night.

9. Pulver-ize

Pulver-ize Purple Belt

^^ Beat me to it^^..
    They track HS wrestler weight as well.. And thats friggin HS,, its not rocket science.

rjmbrd and HHJ like this.
  10. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Silver Belt

You want current champs to be stripped?

11. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Dancing on the ashes of the World

If a blueprint is already in place, you have to question the reasons the UFC refuses to implement it (or some version thereof) After all they didn't have weightclasses, rounds or many limits on fouls until they found it was impeding their ability to get sanctioned, get on TV, etc. (and thus make money)

Maybe once enough big fights fall through they'll reconsider, and it won't take fighters dying or suffering permanent injury...

rjmbrd likes this.
  12. Pierced7681

Pierced7681 Black Belt

One warning, then if they miss weight again they have to move up.

Coconutwater likes this.
  13. beastman

beastman Silver Belt

There should be mandatory hydration testing during fight week and a fighter should be hydration tested before stepping on the scale. If the UFC did this, maybe they could re-organize the weight classes.

14. ignorant MMA fan

ignorant MMA fan Blue Belt

Nah. Once is a yellow card. Twice is a red card.

15. blaseblah

blaseblah Silver Belt

I don't think people realize Max hadn't started his water weight cut yet. His concussion symptoms happened the week before the fight. The water cut doesnt start until a couple days before the fight.

16. Draxton

Draxton Skinny white guy belt

Firm but fair IMO.

17. WeedLordBonerHitler

WeedLordBonerHitler Your Mom Buys My Newports Double Yellow Card

Its bullshit for sure and really unsafe from a liability standpoint for the UFC and obviously for the fighters. They should do as the One championship does, they check your body weight and hydration and you fight at your natural weight. Joe Rogan was saying that in one of the last podcasts on weight cutting issues, makes sense to me.

In the UFC its more about what weight can you can cut to and not die. If you can walk around 180 and make 145 or 155 you gonna own.

thehighking likes this.
  18. dawzz

dawzz Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I absolutely hate turds like Kevin Lee crying about nee division. If these guys cant make weight at that weight move up its no one fault if you die

19. Coconutwater

Coconutwater Purple Belt

This.

20. thehighking

thehighking Brown Belt

I don't know I think it could open a can of worms. It's bad enough as it is a fighter loses a large cut of their purse and their image is tarnished. If a fighter misses weight a few times then matchmakers might not ever want them fighting for a title. I think the way it's done is alright, Dana will usually force a fighter to move up if they miss weight too often