Get fighting fit using only calisthenics?

Avraham

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of any programs that get an individual fit as the fighters but using only calisthenic/bodyweight exercises?

Join a gym and practice fighting?

I train 6 nights a week in either Martial Arts or CrossFit Calisthenics. I am looking for a calisthenic program geared for fighters that I can do when not at the gym.

I am looking for a calisthenic program geared for fighters that I can do when not at the gym.
Why do you think calisthenics are the answers to the weak points in your strength/ conditioning game?

Last edited:
Why do you think calisthenics are the answers to the weak points strength/ conditioning game?

I don't but I ripped my left Pec clean off the bone 9 months ago and had surgery to reattach it. I have been very hesitant to engage with heavy weights since.

Why do you think calisthenics are the answers to the weak points strength/ conditioning game?

My answer to that, is that this forum often preaches that strength training, IE barbells and such, is to great a risk to fighters, and that is of limited importance. So someone who sees that advice given out regularly will then understandably think that bodyweight is the way to go. As it is limited on strength development, and more of a endurance aspect, ie muscular endurance.

My answer to that, is that this forum often preaches that strength training, IE barbells and such, is to great a risk to fighters, and that is of limited importance. So someone who sees that advice given out regularly will then understandably think that bodyweight is the way to go. As it is limited on strength development, and more of a endurance aspect, ie muscular endurance.
Maybe I've been gone too long. When has this forum preached that barbells are a great risk to fighters?

I don't but I ripped my left Pec clean off the bone 9 months ago and had surgery to reattach it. I have been very hesitant to engage with heavy weights since.
Then don't start heavy.

The real question is what are your weak points? Do your lungs gas when sparring, or do you experience muscular fatigue first? What are your strength levels like? Where are you weak, where are you strong? What are you biggest problems when sparring/training/fighting?

Even more reason to start with a barbell. Seriously, start with the bar and build yourself back up. Calisthenics don't really seem to have the advantage of easily adding resistance.

I mean if you are coming back from surgery, would you rather do pull ups with all of your body weight and push-ups with your body weight? Or use a barbell and start really light and gradually add weight as your injury heals and your strength progresses???

I'd do basic strength stuff first.

The real question is what are your weak points? Do your lungs gas when sparring, or do you experience muscular fatigue first? What are your strength levels like? Where are you weak, where are you strong? What are you biggest problems when sparring/training/fighting?

And this.

Maybe I've been gone too long. When has this forum preached that barbells are a great risk to fighters?

Hmm... I've been posting here continually since 2009 and I would say that's never been the case in the time I've been here.

There have been some people arguing lately that max strength isn't that useful for striking... but that particular message has always popped up every now and then.

How did you tear your pec off the bone?
Id be more hesitant about crossfit and their calisthenics since they tend to not know much about gymnastic progression which is and should be the foundation of it. Factor in ballistic movements for time it isnt going to be great on the pec when doing chins and pushups. Especially if the chins are butterfly style.

Did you rehab your pec properly? I had a teammate who tore his pec off in a bjj match and he was out 1.5 years. Its a main muscle around the shoulder and isnt easily managed with such an injury.

Gymnastics my friend. Powerful, great mobility and sets you up for success when you change modalities.

I don't often rehab, but when I do I like to add resistance progressively so as to prevent re injury.

I'd use non gym time to work on other shit.

Just my 2 cents, I don't have a regime to recommend.

I think you need to read more carefully.

I think you need to read more carefully.

Could you expand on this? I did go and re read, and I found various thoughts. Ranging from strength training being unimportant, to it being dangerous to the mixed martial artist athlete. Though sometimes the latter is said in reference to fight prep for a rapidly approaching fight.

So please expand on your vague post.

Could you expand on this? I did go and re read, and I found various thoughts. Ranging from strength training being unimportant, to it being dangerous to the mixed martial artist athlete. Though sometimes the latter is said in reference to fight prep for a rapidly approaching fight.

So please expand on your vague post.
Here is mostly pro-barbell/strength training. The opposite views are usually from the striking and grappling forums. There occasionally would be s&c questions there, and the guys there posting would recommend non-barbell, pro-cardio/sparring work.
It does pop up on the feed with similar titles to the ones here aka. strength training for BJJ or s&c for MT, etc
It may be indistinguishable sometimes unless you click on it and see the sub-forum its posted in.

Back