Get a new car or stick it out?

Used car prices are expected to plummet 40-60% over the next 5 years, so whatever you buy--don't put much $$ into it.

I looked at my local craigslist and there's a clean ass one thats been on there for a couple weeks for $3500 so 5k might be a little generous. Plus you said it has rust, which kills the value regardless of how well it runs.

I'm all about keeping cars, but I would stop putting money into the Saturn since it seems like it's fairly unreliable. Although I have to be honest, it doesn't seem like you take the best care of it either. Rust in the back and metal sticking through the seat? That shit should be taken care of before you start busting out the duct tape and all that.

Elantra's aren't a bad car but they are slow as hell. The one's I've driven are completely gutless. If you don't care about that then it's not a bad purchase. Personally, I'd look for a Toyota. A Toyota with 120k on it is equivalent to a Saturn with 50k.

Keep in mind im in Canada, prices are inflated.

I take care of the car. Theres a chrome piece on the back where its rusting. Cant really stop that unless I take it too a body shop. The seat was a manufacturing defect, a metal spike was built in to the seat and over time it poked through. Cant fix it. The dent was by someone who hit my car while I was working. Never left a note.

I dont care about speed at all. I drive 10000k a year.

I got new tires last year and this year replaced all brakes and rotors. I always get oil changes on time too.

I didnt see a point in spending 1k fixing rust and dents on a car worth a few k

Last edited:
I looked at my local craigslist and there's a clean ass one thats been on there for a couple weeks for $3500 so 5k might be a little generous. Plus you said it has rust, which kills the value regardless of how well it runs.

I'm all about keeping cars, but I would stop putting money into the Saturn since it seems like it's fairly unreliable. Although I have to be honest, it doesn't seem like you take the best care of it either. Rust in the back and metal sticking through the seat? That shit should be taken care of before you start busting out the duct tape and all that.

Elantra's aren't a bad car but they are slow as hell. The one's I've driven are completely gutless. If you don't care about that then it's not a bad purchase. Personally, I'd look for a Toyota. A Toyota with 120k on it is equivalent to a Saturn with 50k.
He lives in Canada, everything rusts up there no matter what brand it is.
In the 80s you'd see full size cars like Caprices with runnning boards to stop the salt from getting on the side of the car.

Maybe I lowballed. I think the car coukd sell for 5k if fixed

5k for a rusty 2007 Saturn ? You might be a tad optimistic there. Id probably sell it as , buy a civic or corolla that's been well taken care of with 100k on it and be done with it.

I bought my car in 2011 for $13,000, used. Its a 2007 and it had 56,000km on it. Now it has 111,000km. I dont drive a lot.

My car was in great condition when I bought it. Now its rusting at the back, and has a big dent in the side that looks like a golf ball could fit inside it. The heated seat no longer works and there is a piece of metal that pierced through my seat which I had to cover with a sock and some duck tape. Felt like you got stabbed if you sat on it (terrible seat design).

Ive had problems here and there like any other car but a big problem happened a few years ago. My rack and pinion steering broke and needed to be replaced. It cost me 1k.

Now 4 years later it broke again. Going to cost me another 1k.

Would you fix it or buy another car? It still has really low mileage (110,000 kilometers is not much)

I have 10k in the bank so im not super broke. I was thinking if I get another new car I might grab a used hyundai elantra for 13k with 50-70k kilometers on it.

Would it be worth it though? Should I just fix my car? What would you do

I've got an 08 Honda Ridgeling with 214K miles on it, going strong. I will think about replacement once it hits 300K.

New stuff is too expensive for some POS to drive around.

Might as well keep driving it until repairs really cost significant amounts or if it takes a dump because I highly doubt you'll get much for that. I agree on a used civic or corolla if you don't need anything bigger. If well maintained, those 2 cars have a great reputation of lasting forever.

Cars are major costs, not assets. Whatever results in minimum average cost over 10 years should be the plan.

They already reimbursed me the first time. I brought the receipt to them and they sent me a cheque in the mail. I dont think they would help again.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Somebody is fucking you badly if they quoted $1,000 to replace the rack.
The rack sells for under $300 and can be purchased for under $150 exchange.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...7,steering,rack+and+pinion+complete+unit,7388
It shouldn't take more than 2 hours for a mechanic to install it so even if they charge $100/hour, it should be less than $500 parts and labor.

Yeah I tried running last summer and after 100m I was collapsing. Not sure I could even do a 15min bike ride. Theres a hill on the way
Dude, hills are killer! Even really shallow inclines are mountains of doom! I tried riding to work a couple times and I was dying. Going home wasn't so bad, as the incline wasn't so steep, but man, going to work...dooooood...that mountain....

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Somebody is fucking you badly if they quoted $1,000 to replace the rack.
The rack sells for under $300.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...7,steering,rack+and+pinion+complete+unit,7388
It shouldn't take more than 2 hours for a mechanic to install it so even if they charge $100/hour, it should be less than $500 parts and labor.

Once again, he's in Canada. Labour and parts are drastically more expensive. I worked at a service station near the border and I sold a lot of tires to Canadians, some times the exact same tire was 1/2 the price in the US vs Canada.

Just get a Saab 9-3.

viggen-3.jpg

@ralphc1 @mushishi @jefferz

OMG.. I just stopped by GM on the way home. They agreed to replace my steering rack and all the other recall problems on my car. I cant believe it!!!

also ralph my mechanic said it would be "several thousand" to fix. dont think ill be going back to him again. last time it was like 870

They already reimbursed me the first time. I brought the receipt to them and they sent me a cheque in the mail. I dont think they would help again.

A recall can't be to replace a problematic part with the exact same problematic part. They would fix the rack & pinion and replace the defective ones, not put one in that fails in 4 years for the same reason.

Is this a safety hazard? Does it dump all the steering fluid at once so you loose power steering completely? Or does it just slowly leak so that you are able to catch on that steering fluid is low? If a car becomes unreliable, I'd swap it out.

A recall can't be to replace a problematic part with the exact same problematic part. They would fix the rack & pinion and replace the defective ones, not put one in that fails in 4 years for the same reason.

Is this a safety hazard? Does it dump all the steering fluid at once so you loose power steering completely? Or does it just slowly leak so that you are able to catch on that steering fluid is low? If a car becomes unreliable, I'd swap it out.

At first I noticed my steering felt funny. I was getting some resistance when turning. A few days later it went away and I thought it fixed itself. I came out of a store and I saw a big puddle under my car and dripping. I knew right away it was the steering rack again because of the weird feelings I was getting while turning the wheel, it didnt feel right. They put some Lucas oil stuff in it for now.

anyway i went to GM after work and they said they will fix it for me since they didnt do it the first time. Yay!

Last edited:
As long as it still gets you to point A to point B, wait it out another 6 months to a year and save up for a car you really want instead of settling on whatever car now just because its an upgrade over your rusting car. Cars are terrible investments of money, you're basically paying for the privilege of not having to walk everywhere while you have it.

Once again, he's in Canada. Labour and parts are drastically more expensive. I worked at a service station near the border and I sold a lot of tires to Canadians, some times the exact same tire was 1/2 the price in the US vs Canada.

Canadians can buy from Rock Auto. Even with 100% markup the rack should only cost $300 US.

I've got an 08 Honda Ridgeling with 214K miles on it, going strong. I will think about replacement once it hits 300K.

New stuff is too expensive for some POS to drive around.

Who's the POS, you or the car ?

@Clippy is our resident expert in Hyundai Elantra's

Fyi, if you want to carry bricks in it, then this isnt the car for you

Back