Get a new car or stick it out?

@ralphc1 @mushishi @jefferz

OMG.. I just stopped by GM on the way home. They agreed to replace my steering rack and all the other recall problems on my car. I cant believe it!!!

also ralph my mechanic said it would be "several thousand" to fix. dont think ill be going back to him again. last time it was like 870
Dude, that is awesome news! Glad things worked out for you. If you're still interested in biking to work, how about riding when the weather is nice and keeping the car for rainy days?

Best of luck to you, bro!

Yeah I tried running last summer and after 100m I was collapsing. Not sure I could even do a 15min bike ride. Theres a hill on the way

All the more reason to get on a damn bike!

A recall can't be to replace a problematic part with the exact same problematic part. They would fix the rack & pinion and replace the defective ones, not put one in that fails in 4 years for the same reason.

Is this a safety hazard? Does it dump all the steering fluid at once so you loose power steering completely? Or does it just slowly leak so that you are able to catch on that steering fluid is low? If a car becomes unreliable, I'd swap it out.
He can always sell it in three years, 11 months.

giphy.gif

Dude, that is awesome news! Glad things worked out for you. If you're still interested in biking to work, how about riding when the weather is nice and keeping the car for rainy days?

Best of luck to you, bro!

Yeah I couldn't believe they agreed to fix it. Now I can still get my new 4K TV!

@ralphc1 @mushishi @jefferz

OMG.. I just stopped by GM on the way home. They agreed to replace my steering rack and all the other recall problems on my car. I cant believe it!!!

also ralph my mechanic said it would be "several thousand" to fix. dont think ill be going back to him again. last time it was like 870

It never hurts to ask! Glad they'll do it for you. Will they fix the seat? I think they had trouble with the seats but I think it was the seat backs.

I have a 2006 car with only 50K miles that I needed hubs, front brakes, struts, stabilizer links, rear shocks and fuel lines on. I considered a new or different vehicle but I don't drive much anymore so I did the repairs.

It never hurts to ask! Glad they'll do it for you. Will they fix the seat? I think they had trouble with the seats but I think it was the seat backs.

I have a 2006 car with only 50K miles that I needed hubs, front brakes, struts, stabilizer links, rear shocks and fuel lines on. I considered a new or different vehicle but I don't drive much anymore so I did the repairs.

I asked about the seat but they said there was no recall for that. I mean its clearly a manufacturing defect, but if I showed them would it make a difference? I thought they should have fixed it.
Here is a picture of what im talking about.

I checked the other side of my seat and I cant feel a metal spike thing under in the same spot. No idea how it got there.

20170817_165913_zpsujstb2t6.jpg

20170817_165923_zpsrxttgc5k.jpg

Canadians can buy from Rock Auto. Even with 100% markup the rack should only cost $300 US.

Almost all mechanic shops use a local supplier to get their products due to a wide range of reasons such as warranty, defective out of the box, customer service, etc.

5k for a rusty 2007 Saturn ? You might be a tad optimistic there. Id probably sell it as , buy a civic or corolla that's been well taken care of with 100k on it and be done with it.
2007 Honda Civics with 100,000KM are going for like 6-7K on the east coast. He ain't getting shit for a rusty Saturn.

Drive it into the ground IMO.

I bought my car in 2011 for $13,000, used. Its a 2007 and it had 56,000km on it. Now it has 111,000km. I dont drive a lot.

My car was in great condition when I bought it. Now its rusting at the back, and has a big dent in the side that looks like a golf ball could fit inside it. The heated seat no longer works and there is a piece of metal that pierced through my seat which I had to cover with a sock and some duck tape. Felt like you got stabbed if you sat on it (terrible seat design).

Ive had problems here and there like any other car but a big problem happened a few years ago. My rack and pinion steering broke and needed to be replaced. It cost me 1k.

Now 4 years later it broke again. Going to cost me another 1k.

Would you fix it or buy another car? It still has really low mileage (110,000 kilometers is not much)

I have 10k in the bank so im not super broke. I was thinking if I get another new car I might grab a used hyundai elantra for 13k with 50-70k kilometers on it.

Would it be worth it though? Should I just fix my car? What would you do

UPDATE: took car to GM, and they agreed to fix my car since a mechanic fixed it the first time before my recall notice. they are going to fix all the recall problems!

The fuck is this 3rd world 'km' shit homie?

tYIJPLZ.gif

2007 Honda Civics with 100,000KM are going for like 6-7K on the east coast. He ain't getting shit for a rusty Saturn.

Drive it into the ground IMO.

6 or 7k for a reliable vehicle with tons of life left in it ......doesn't seem like an onerous burden to the non destitute . I agree though drive it until a major repair , just wouldn't be dumping any money in that thing.

Back