Frustrating teaching experiences

Ok, for people saying this kid has a developmental disorder or delay, what is the case when you have an adult student (~mid 20s) who seems completely normal off the mat and is intelligent, but on the mat physically match the OP's description? Its frustrating in class but I can see they are trying, albeit not 100%

Ok, for people saying this kid has a developmental disorder or delay, what is the case when you have an adult student (~mid 20s) who seems completely normal off the mat and is intelligent, but on the mat physically match the OP's description? Its frustrating in class but I can see they are trying, albeit not 100%

The sad truth is that some people don't really care, and there is nothing you can do to change that, even if they continue to show up. You'd be surprised at how many wake up and start caring a year or two in though.

I'd hate to have my kids train under somebody who considered telling a kid to quit because they are a slow learner and likely have mental or physical issues holding then back.

Instead of finding new ways to help him and taking it as a challenge to improve yourself as a coach you want to blame a kid and ask him to leave??

Seems bjj is for everybody unless they are too difficult to coach.....
I think this is overly harsh. OP is frustrated and is asking for help. Just by making the post you can tell he doesn't want to quit on the kid.

A high school or college team has tryouts and only takes the most athletic kids. When I was a kid, I was the fat kid. I was one of the slowest runners in my school. I had asthma.

I could still jump rope, ride a bike, do pushups, kick, fight, play sports and contribute to the team and so on. When I played, I played outside. It was a different time. I was weak, but my weakness at that time was stronger than kids today because kids today don't play alone outside. They don't climb alone. They don't fight as much. They sit inside and play Playstation and their bodies don't work.

If you are teaching the most athletic kids for a school, it is a different experience from taking weak people with no athletic experience, but who want to expand their capacity. It is almost like rehabilitation. If someone wants to learn self defense but they can't even fucking hold their arms straight for a pushup, you are wasting their time showing how to sweep from DLR.

They need you to stand there and make them stand on one foot, jump, push against a pad, stretch, how to run, and so on and on.

I have three girls who play aau basketball, are very good at track-volleyball-powerlifting..

two of my girls have always got attention in basketball, as they always had good size athleticism, aggression, strength, etc etc...

they have had very few coaches who actually tried to coach them, often they let them do what they want as players because they were playmakers and capable of doing so against older kids, and the really talented kids from other area. My kids never look like they shouldnt be on the floor.

it irritated me cus i was always citing making the right basketball play, moving the ball, playing all round games, knowing when to do certain things, taking good shots .. not bad ones..having good court iq.

my other daughter moved in almost 3yrs ago, hadn't ever really played basketball other sports and was heavy/out of shape... coaches pretty much ignored her.. Not what i believe what i was told by other parents/kids.

i put her in fall ball, worked on some basic basic things; rebounding, moving feet on defense, etc etc... talked to her after every practice...bout plays, moves, awareness.. had her staying after her practice to watch a team practice..observe learn plays..had her asking tons of questions of coaches...watching games.. and after games breaking down games..telling her what she needs to do...practicing w/her alot..pushing her alot...holding her accountable.

b team her first year-alternate on a aau team-b team second season moved to a and a starter on a aau team..

but it took alot of attention and effort outside of the team, cus they focus on the talented kids, obviously talented kids; if you or your kid isnt, then they are gonna have to take it upon themselves to improve and to maximize opportunities they are given. My kiddo has some talent-across the board-but it still took alot to get her ahead; an most sports are like that, people like to work w/or train talent. They don't have an interest in working w/kids who arent obvious talents

I have three girls who play aau basketball, are very good at track-volleyball-powerlifting..

two of my girls have always got attention in basketball, as they always had good size athleticism, aggression, strength, etc etc...

they have had very few coaches who actually tried to coach them, often they let them do what they want as players because they were playmakers and capable of doing so against older kids, and the really talented kids from other area. My kids never look like they shouldnt be on the floor.

it irritated me cus i was always citing making the right basketball play, moving the ball, playing all round games, knowing when to do certain things, taking good shots .. not bad ones..having good court iq.

my other daughter moved in almost 3yrs ago, hadn't ever really played basketball other sports and was heavy/out of shape... coaches pretty much ignored her.. Not what i believe what i was told by other parents/kids.

i put her in fall ball, worked on some basic basic things; rebounding, moving feet on defense, etc etc... talked to her after every practice...bout plays, moves, awareness.. had her staying after her practice to watch a team practice..observe learn plays..had her asking tons of questions of coaches...watching games.. and after games breaking down games..telling her what she needs to do...practicing w/her alot..pushing her alot...holding her accountable.

b team her first year-alternate on a aau team-b team second season moved to a and a starter on a aau team..

but it took alot of attention and effort outside of the team, cus they focus on the talented kids, obviously talented kids; if you or your kid isnt, then they are gonna have to take it upon themselves to improve and to maximize opportunities they are given. My kiddo has some talent-across the board-but it still took alot to get her ahead; an most sports are like that, people like to work w/or train talent. They don't have an interest in working w/kids who arent obvious talents
That sums up the problem with the ever increasing shift to "club" oriented athletics for high school and youth

I think this is overly harsh. OP is frustrated and is asking for help. Just by making the post you can tell he doesn't want to quit on the kid.

Perhaps you are right, I am just not a fan of getting frustrated with a kid and even considering the idea of telling his parents to take him out of the class. He is being paid to teach not doing it out of the kindness of heart. It has the tone like the kid is letting him down or making him look bad.

Perhaps I took it the wrong way and u do hope he uses this situation as moucuation to improve as an instructor and find ways to not be frustrated with paying customers who are being respectful but perhaps have underlying issues holding them back.

Perhaps you are right, I am just not a fan of getting frustrated with a kid and even considering the idea of telling his parents to take him out of the class. He is being paid to teach not doing it out of the kindness of heart. It has the tone like the kid is letting him down or making him look bad.

Perhaps I took it the wrong way and u do hope he uses this situation as moucuation to improve as an instructor and find ways to not be frustrated with paying customers who are being respectful but perhaps have underlying issues holding them back.

Cool. Thanks for considering another side.

Everyone gets frustrated. I have a student in my Fundamentals Class that's a great kid and I've been teaching him for a while. Over 2 years. To this day I have to go over a basic movement that he's been able to do but all of a sudden, he's dong it wrong. Like its totally new to him. I'll ask him to do X and he does Y. I want to scream. You begin to question your abilities to communicate. You might even begin to resent them because of how frustrated you allow yourself to become.

In the end, they are who they are and you have to work with what you got. I step back, take a deep breath and with a smile start over from square one. Ground hog day. Maybe someday he'll look back and think, "this coach cared enough not give up on me. Cool dude."

i'd so much rather deal with someone who has no athleticism but a good ethic and a happy disposition than someone who just won't fucking try.

i've been TAing the university martial arts classes off and on for 10 years and definitely noticed a change in people's demeanors when it comes to effort. People who knew they were hopeless would at least make an effort. I had some folks last semester who couldn't do a fuckin' rolling fall without hurting themselves and who would elect to sit out whenever they felt the slightest bit tired.

i get that they're a paying customer of the university and i also get that people really don't want to burn a drop on a 1-credit PE class, but it was really fuckin frustrating being in the 10th week of class and seeing a lot of improvement in people, while others were just ornamental.

it's not that they *couldn't* do it, it's that they didn't want to put in the effort. it really sucks when you want to be egalitarian as an instructor but end up giving up on someone because they've already given up on themselves. i start playing the 'what else could i do?' game, thinking that it's just a matter of motivated or communication that i'm somehow missing, but this year i finally accepted that some people just want to coast through life avoiding anything remotely resembling challenging themselves or being uncomfortable.

i'd rather have a roomful of people with no coordination or athletic background who are enthusiastic about showing up and putting in their best effort than someone who has 'potential' but put forth no effort. give me the geeky band kid who can't sneeze without tripping themselves over the lazy 'over it' gym-bro any fuckin day.

I avoided quoting you before intentionally since I felt you were either trolling or taking it out on me, but I actually do it for free. The kids pay half as much as the adults (and less than other children's activities in the area); it mainly goes to the facilities, and whatever is left goes to the team (team shirts, graduation belts, competition fees, commutting to said competitions... the team pays for that when the account is healthy enough, which rarely happens). I don't make a dime from the classes; I'm lucky to be able to afford my own expenses, and I'd rather have the team sponsor those who can't pay.

Read both my posts in the first page, maybe you only read the first one and the confusion came from there.

Back