Frodo's Grappling Log

Two years? man dude you are intense 3 sesions a day sometiems? What are you a philly version of BJ? :p

Oh and lol at the win by one shido

HAHA. That's high praise, thanks! I'm afraid I'm not as naturally talented as BJ. Bobby, one of my instructors, is from Philly... Ya, that was one of the weirdest tournament experiences I've had too.

4-26-2007

Met with a lot of people from the grappling club. Not in order:
  • Did judo and BJJ with Jake.
  • Did BJJ with Tyson. I also showed him a few moves.
  • Did submission wrestling with Eric.
  • Did judo, BJJ, submission wrestling, and MMA (with boxing gloves) with Neil.
I mainly did the same thing to Neil each time. After some feeling out, I used my jab to clinch, throw him with koshi guruma, land in kesa gatame, transition to mount, and GNP. Once he turtled and I choked him (tho it was more a neck crank with the boxing gloves. Neil with frustrated, but that's just how it goes. He'll get me next time.

4-28-2007

Went to SCMA. Sonny taught gi class. We did a lot of simple drills:
We finished with some rolling.

Stayed for Jimbo's no-gi class. We drilled shrimping and also did a lot of basic stuff:
We rolled at the end of class. I rolled with Duke and Drew and did pretty well. Afterward I rolled with Jimbo and got tapped after 20-30 minutes, as usual.

4-29-2007

Went to Drew's Place. Drew, John, their friend, and Jeremy were already there. Later Jimbo, Jon, and Jon's firend Tim came too. We did mainly sparring:
  • 2x3:00 taking turns deflecting crosses.
  • 2x3:00 taking turns deflecting crosses, catching jabs.
  • 3x2:00 sparring with kicks.
  • 3x2:00 CSW sparring with punches, starting standing.
  • 3x3:00 grappling
At the end, I rolled with Jimbo for like 15-20 minutes before he tapped me. I felt really beat up and useless today. :-(

4-30-2007

Day off. Feeling really tired. So I just used my time to cut the grass.

5-2-2007

Had jury duty today. Went to Donny's. We some drilling:
Then we did lots of rolling. At the end we did a bunch of sprawls.

5-3-2007

Had jury duty today. Went to the CMU Grappling Club. Only Randy and I today. We did the moving uchikomi first part of the Gokyu, then rolled for the rest of practice. Randy owned me today.

5-4-2007

Had jury duty today. It was a long day of deliberating before we awarded the plaintiffs millions of dollars in damages! But I had nowhere to roll at the end of the day. :-(

5-5-2007

Road trip to watch the ADCC, Day 1. I figured this is both one of the last times I get to hang out with Randy and Bryce. ADCC probably won't be back within driving distance of Pittsburgh for another 10-20 years so this is most likely my only chance to actually watch it. Here's the day 1 thread.

Bryce, Randy and I went to New Jersey to watch the first day of the ADCC World Championships. There was so much talent there. I saw a lot of big faces, but I didn't get any pictures of them (instead concentrating on the matches). I didn't see anyone from the internet, but I did see in the stands: Marcelo, Fowler, both Migliarese brothers, Fabio, Ulysses Gomez (I think, he had on a Lego Star Wars Tee so I assumed it was him), Marc Laimon (who is much fatter than on TV, and needs to lose some weight!), Sim Go (who fought a great match) and a few others. I also saw Josh Barnett (wearing a CATCH shirt and wrestling shoes for some odd reason) and Egor Gracie coaching. Hopefully I'll get the nerve to talk to them and/or bother them for a picture. Here's all the photos I shot today:

by quantumjim

Pablo Popovitch is my favorite fighter, since I met him at his academy. But Pablo's matches were kinda boring, though he only had one of his smaller students in his corner, it seemed. He won by takedowns and passing the guard mainly. Dave Avellan did well, and I thought he was going to win both his matches. But in his second fight, Tarsys Humphreys came back and choked him unconscious!!! Marcelo and Rolls were great in their two matches. They were the crowd favorites. The tournament was overall very awesome to behold.

One guy wore a spaceman bodysuit to all his matches. Another guy had no legs below his knees. He was good, but still lost (if he had his entire legs, he probably would have done well in a heavier division). I like the technique of the girls matches even tho there weren't as many submissions. One got a great takedown, but got submitted in a reverse triangle IIRC.

Mike Fowler had the most impressive performances of the day. He seemed bigger than I remember, and Fowler remained composed and really took the fight to his opponents, He beat Renzo Gracie by advantages in the first round. The entire audience was dead silent during that match. Then in the second round, Mike submitted Saulo with a leglock (I think either a toehold or a heel hook). He is destined to fight Marcelo tomorrow first, and that will be a very interesting match!!!

5-6-2007

Last day at the ADCC, Day 2. Bryce, Randy, and I stayed in a Red Roof Inn. I slept on the floor. Figures we hobbits get kicked around a lot. ;-) (Apparently I snore too... :-( ) After hanging out with the homeless in Trenton for breakfast/lunch, we headed to the convention center for the finals and absolute tournament. Before the action started, I met both Anaconda on Sherdog, and saw Val again from JJG. Both are cool people.

Today, Marcelo was on fire. The whole crowd was in awe of his performance. He submitted virtually everyone. He submitted Fowler then choked out Pablo with that reverse guillotine to win this division. Does that make Marcelo the only 3 time ADCC divisional winner in history? Afterward, he came up to the stands and hung out with his team a little. Randy got to touch Marcelo, and Randy's leporacy was cured.

In the absolute he was likewise stunning Marcelo armlocked Rolls in the absolute and submitted everyone up to his last match. Before the absolute finals, Randy yelled out "Marcelo for President." Drysdale seemed a little fresher and bigger, and he choked Marcelo this time to win the ADCC absolute! Nobody could believe it.

Roger won his superfight, and Xande lost a close match to Avellan. That's mostly what I remember from the tournament, except for a nice win by Ryan "Creepy" Hall, shaking Fowler's hand, and getting a picture with Rigan Machado as he was leaving (But my camera ran out of space, and Bryce deleted the photo... ARG!!!) Rigan got fat, but he could probably still kick my ass. Oh, I also got 15% off a pair of pants at the OTM store for my fresh cauliflower ear. Cool.

5-7-2007

Went to SCMA for no-gi. Santino taught. First we did partner-shrimp drills. Then we went over some armbar techniques:
The we rolled for a while. In honor of Marcelo, I submitted people with north-south chokes.

5-8-2007

Went to Drew's place. Judo Dave Anthony ran the practice. We covered:
Then we did a lot of grappling. I didn't do nearly as well as yesterday, and got tapped twice by Kellen Hughes after some long rolls. He's 40 pounds bigger than me and has 6 more years wrestling, but only 1 year submission wrestling. Marcelo crushed opponents even bigger and more experienced than him this past weekend. So I should too. Gotta get better!

5-10-2007

Went to CMU. Before Bobby came, we did some ginastica natural that Bryce learned. Then we just rolled at a high intensity the entire time.

5-11-2007

Went to CGS for MMA day. After warmups, we did a lot of drills (with strikes):
  • Takedown from high crotch, or escape the high crotch.
  • Mount or submit from side control, or escape to guard or neutral.
  • Sweep to mount or submit from guard, or pass or submit.
I rolled with Nick, Evan, and Matt. I rolled with Casey a few times too. He is very strong! Then we each sparred MMA with Jeremy for 3 minutes. He has a fight coming up in two weeks. I hope he does well!

I got a black eye and bad cauliflower ear from sparring this night and the entire week of hard practices. I should have been more careful.

Back