Frodo's Grappling Log

4-5-2007

Went to Judo class. Sucked it up and put on a kneepad so I could roll. We did:
We finished with some shiai. I was too stiff against Rich today.

Went to Jiu-Jitsu class. We did:
We finished with some shiai. I got my goofy harai goshi twice today, and I worked on being looser too.

Went to the Panther Grappling Club. I had Aaron show some takedowns:
Then we did half a deck of cards from guard:
Then we rolled for a little bit. I did some greco with Brendan... and got smashed too. LOL! Good thing I can still kick his ass in submission wrestling.

4-6-2007

Went to SCMA for free roll. Had some good matches with Jason and Duke. Also reviewed the low hook guard standup from base sweeps.

Went to the Pitt BJJ Club and we covered some self defense first:
Then we did some groundwork with those sweeps:
Randy helped Warren and Brendan with their escapes on the side while I showed those sweeps. Then we did a lot of rolling. I stalemated with Randy, so we both get to keep our honor today.

4-8-2007

Easter. Rolled with Jon (white belt at SCMA, in the Reserves, has a hot girl friend) at Pitt in gi. I showed him some stuff he was doing wrong. Then we rolled in no-gi. During the second roll, he got hurt when he tried to defend an armbar by muscling it, and slipping. There was a loud crack, but the next day his arm was just tight and hurt a little bit.

4-9-2007

Really sickity sick sick sick. I was really disoriented and felt a mighty chill. Took the day off.

4-11-2007

Went to SHJ. Randy showed:
I need to work that star sweep around the arm. I can do it around the leg, or around the arm to set up the omoplate/triangle. But I can't actually sweep with that "arm-star" sweep! Afterward the technique section, we rolled for a few rounds. At the end of practice I wrestled against Rick too. My cardio sucks.

4-13-2007

Went to SCMA for open roll. It was a fun practice, like usual.

Afterwards, did a presentation on BJJ for the Brazil Nuts Club with a few members of the Panther Grappling Club/Pitt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Club. The Brazil Festival was actually a general Latin America variety show, with a lot of acts by various singers, dancers, and some clubs at Pitt. We went on pretty late, but some of the Brazilians there were hot so I didn't mind. Brian was a pimp. HAHA!

First Warren gave a short speech about the history of Jiu-Jitus. Then Warren, Phil, Brendan, Brian, and I took turns showing a bunch of throws and submissions on (Steel City) Jon's mat. We mainly followed my plan with a few additions.

Standing techniques:
  • Straight punch defense with seoinage to armbar.
  • Standing rear naked choke.
  • Standing rear naked choke defense with seoinage to armbar.
  • Standing guillotine choke.
  • Standing guillotine choke defense by throwing him over you.
  • Standing bearhug from back over your arms defense with sukuinage.
  • Standing bearhug from back under your arms defense with kneebar.
  • Flying Armbar.
From mount:
  • Americana.
  • Armbar.
  • Escape to guard.
From guard:
  • Armbar.
  • Armbar to triangle choke.
  • Flower sweep to mount.
  • Star sweep (over leg).
Then Warren and Phil rolled for a bit while I said a little more about Jiu-Jitsu at the end.

We got some woos and wows from the crowd with our big throws and some head nods in approval when I mentioned Helio and Rickson. Nicole (the organizer) thought we gave a good demonstration, and a few of the audience members seemed interested in learning the art (tho only one of them actually trained a little in BJJ... odd).

4-14-2007

Took day off to regain my cardio for the judo tournament tomorrow.

4-15-2007

Went to another inner-club judo tournament at Kim's. Got 3rd place, but I should have got first. Lost my first match by ouchi gari, but won all the other tournament matches. I almost threw up because of this damn cold. I armbarred someone, and he tapped but the ref didn't see so I had to tell him he tapped.

Afterwards, I fought like 3 matches against Nolan. First I gave him his rematch that he was asking for, which I won (forgot how). Then he wanted another match, so we fought again and he uchi matted me this time. Finally he asked me if I wanted a rematch... I really didn't want to go at it again, but I took his "do you want a rematch" as a challenge and accepted. This time I won because I got 1 shido and Noland got 2 shidos. LOL

Ricky, Don and the blue belt from shj were there too. Ricky helped score points while don and the other blue belt fought. I fought the blue belt from shj. I beat him but forgot how. I do remember almost choking him out twice... I was close but he wouldn't tap.

I tried NOT to use tani otoshi and counter throws this time, so I can get experience with other throws and strategies. Ricky says I need more combos. However, my main problems in judo is that I am trying to be what I think a good judo player is. I just have to do what feels natural even if that's ugly judo to everyone else. Randy agrees, I need to do my ugly judo and then when they lose be like "stfu noob." HAHA.

4-17-2007

Went to last Judo Class. We did:
And finished with some shiai.

Went to the last Jiu Jitsu Class. We did:
  • block punch to osoto gari.
    • to kesa gatame.
    • to yoko shiho gatame.
    • to kami shiho gatame (north-south).
And finished with some shiai.

Went to SCMA.
We drilled working from all three positions for a little bit before free rolling.

4-18-2007

Went to the Grappling Club. Just rolled with Jason for a little bit before retiring.

4-19-2007

Went to the Grappling Club. Brendan, Pat, Matt (Pat's friend), Justin (from Brazil club), and Dave Galati came too. We did a lot of games:
  • Sumo.
  • Tag team grappling.
  • Partner grappling.
Then we finished with regular rolling. Dave beat me twice, but each time took like 30 minutes of rolling straight. I'm getting closer to getting him consistantly... I already dominate positionally, now I just got to work on finishing him. Dave is the most stubborn fighter I know...

4-20-2007

Woa. Went to the Pitt BJJ Club for our last official practice for the semester. Did a lot of games with Tall Mike, Phil, and Brendan:
  • Sumo.
  • Chicken fighting.
  • Judo.
  • BJJ.
  • No-gi grappling.
Good year overall.

4-22-2007

2nd year anniversary of when I started grappling for the first time at the CMU Grappling Club. I start counting from when I posted this thread on their forum inquiring about grappling at CMU. I think I started at their next practice.

Today, I went to Bill's to train. We went over lockflows 1,2,3,4. We didn't do much else today. Sometimes you just need a break, though!

Two years? man dude you are intense 3 sesions a day sometiems? What are you a philly version of BJ? :p

Oh and lol at the win by one shido

Back