Froch vs. Groves - a study in depending on technique vs. not.

I had it 4-3 froch. Groves took 1,2 and 7. Froch has being deadly accurate with his jab and landing combinations to groves pot shots. I think froch's awkwardness can make his opponents look better sometimes.

The knock out was brilliant and Paulie dissected is perfectly. If his voice was so annoying he would make a good commentator.

He feinted to close the distance, threw a wide left hook to open up the firing lane then starched groves with a straight right

I found it very odd as well how, Jim Watts is his name?, had it 5-1 Froch at that point. The skysports broadcasting team was only talking about Froch. Paulie was the only one commenting on how close the rounds were and that Groves was successful at times.

SKY really need to look at the commentary team Jim Watts seems to decide on a narrative before a punch is even thrown and sticks with it regardless of how the fight is actually going and the nodding donkeys around him just go along with it,kudos to Paulie for trying to be more realistic .

I had it 4-3 Froch.

Wish they'd replace Jim Watt.

Froch looked really nervous when the fight started and was flinching loads but Groves tired mentally and physically and once Froch figured he could bully Groves to the ropes and whack him to the body he had the means to victory. Groves unfortunately just looks too fragile to handle someone like Froch for the duration of a 12 rounder.

I was surprised as I thought Groves would manage to stay away all night and pepper Froch from the outside as he did when he had the most success in the first fight but Groves just couldn't keep the movement up.

Can I ask what you actually look for on the inside then? If those are the things you for then I know there's a thread you made on stance/positioning of lead hand so I'll check that for that.
Don't think there's one on infighting so what do you look for? Is it mainly defence qualities, I know you dislike earmuffs like Groves did against the ropes in 5-6. Who are the best in fighters? Someone like Mayweather?

ALSO
How did you score this fight? Based on the criteria I know you look for I saw Groves being the digger and catching Froch with good upward jabs in first 4 Rounds with Froch blitzing on occasions, coming in feet standing square and not really landing anything!
I had Groves up 4-0

Then again looking for things that you say I gave Froch the next two based on him getting the better work in on the ropes and Groves just 'earmuffed' up instead of using intelligent defence and counters, So I had it 4-2 Groves after 6!
Was very surprised when Jim Watt 's card came up and he had it 5-1 Froch and even more so that he gave Froch ROUND 1?!? I only remember Carl landing 1 punch in round 1!!

Then I thought Groves won 7 and was winning 8 Until the KO!
What I look for in the inside is rough to just say, because it's a whole other style of fighting. But in essence, I favor the guy who is controlling the space and landing the better punches.

I had Groves up big in the first fight, I don't recall the exact score, but I recall feeling he was pretty definitively whoopin' Carl's ass up until the last two rounds.

Froch looked really nervous when the fight started and was flinching loads but Groves tired mentally and physically and once Froch figured he could bully Groves to the ropes and whack him to the body he had the means to victory. Groves unfortunately just looks too fragile to handle someone like Froch for the duration of a 12 rounder.

I was surprised as I thought Groves would manage to stay away all night and pepper Froch from the outside as he did when he had the most success in the first fight but Groves just couldn't keep the movement up.

As I said in the OP of this thread, Groves' body-language is suggestive of a guy who can't take damage, or at least unravels when he has to. You can't have a flaw like that and defeat a guy like Froch unless you're in at least equal to the level of conditioning he's in, and not many people are.

As I said in the OP of this thread, Groves' body-language is suggestive of a guy who can't take damage, or at least unravels when he has to. You can't have a flaw like that and defeat a guy like Froch unless you're in at least equal to the level of conditioning he's in, and not many people are.

Yeah true. I mistakenly thought it was a just case of Groves getting too cocky with his success in the first fight that led to his downfall and that as long as he didn't get drawn into a slug fest he'd be ok but he definitely slowed down in this fight allowing Froch to catch up to him. Froch would have done even better in the era of 15 rounders.

I think that was also a factor. He got too comfortable, forgetting he has only so-so durability.

Back