For some reason I watched schuab highlights

I like Rosenthal as a ref but he has made some very questionable decisions

Not sure Schaub would be top 10 because he regressed a lot as a striker toward the end, I don't think he landed anything on Arlovski or Browne because he was in full blown Ngannou vs Lewis tentative mode at that point.

He was pretty much a grappler at the end of his career, and unless his opponent is someone with a glaring weakness there like Mitrione, he was in for a tough night.

Schaub was actually a way better fighter than he gets credit for.

Sherdog just likes to pretend he sucked so bad.

In reality, he'd still be a top 10 HW if he was fighting.

no

Aww I felt so bad for Big Baby, he seemed like such a nice bloke. Shame it was that particular arsehole who wrecked him.

Hmm few takeaways...
*Trashy celebrations. (Makes me less sympathetic about his losses)
*Some pretty good wins.
*Maybe retired early. Could have taken a break and come back. (His current career is doing well though, so can't complain)

He got out at the right time. No reason to get more brain damage, no matter how much Sherdoggers wish he would

Schaub was actually a way better fighter than he gets credit for.

Sherdog just likes to pretend he sucked so bad.

In reality, he'd still be a top 10 HW if he was fighting.

Agreed but the HW division right now is pretty weak.

He got out at the right time. No reason to get more brain damage, no matter how much Sherdoggers wish he would
I'm not talking about going out like Jens Pulver or even Brad Pickett, but maybe a couple of lower level fights. Go out on a win. But I can't argue with his decision considering his current success.

Last edited:
That's more about the lack of depth at HW than anything else. HW hasn't really seen much new life in the last 5 years, and it seems like half the division is over 38.

Schaub wasn't the worst fighter ever, but he had a way of making a lot of people hope he gets KO'd. And he did. Violently.

Pretty much sums it up. It's pretty hilarious when you say you're in another time zone than your opponent before getting KO'd or patting yourself on the back for literally running away from a jiujutsu match. He was relevant for a minute because HW is a garbage tier division and for the most part still is.

or patting yourself on the back for literally running away from a jiujutsu match
I don't follow grappling but I saw the video. I don't understand how he wasn't disqualified for refusing to engage. And how did he think he won??? He literally ran away from a butt-scoot.

This is exactly what I mean. He was a very dislikeable fighter

Lol he bit Barnett’s infamous throat slash postfight celebration move.
How original.

It’s funny cause watching his extra aggroncelebration move and comparing it to listening to him on his podcast with all that laid back passive aggressiveness, kinda shows you a layer he has underneath , that jock type bully, ultra dooche side to him.

Hard to imagine watching his entire UFC career that he would have a successful MMA related career afterwards...

Schaub is proof that the HW division has always been a joke

I don't follow grappling but I saw the video. I don't understand how he wasn't disqualified for refusing to engage. And how did he think he won??? He literally ran away from a butt-scoot.

This is exactly what I mean. He was a very dislikeable fighter

Honestly? I don't think anyone really knew what to do. Like I'm not sure at that particular tourney what the rules were but I doubt they had a provision for Abu Schaubi shutting the game down. I've seen a lot of grappling, I've seen stalling, hell, most Olmypic judo matches are stalls the second you hit the ground. This was just bizarre. It's like Joe Rogan had a funny idea hella stoned about winning a jitz match by refusing to grapple at all and Schaub took it seriously.

Damn, I thatoght that was a Yamasaki highlight for a sec.

As someone else said he would be a top 10 HW today because the division is garbage right now. He had very good BJJ for a heavyweight and great athleticism. He'd have never touched a title shot but was a good fighter. People just hate because they don't like his personality.

Schaub also got much worse in his career. Just look at the Browne fight. That was when Browne really was a shadow of his former self with Edmund as "coach". Browne put a beating on Schaub and got outclassed in every other fight after that. Mitrione only lost because of the blatant obvious intended eye pokes.

To loose like that against Browne really screamed "retirement".

Schaub definitely sees himself as "Top 10" material but even in the actual very weak hw division he would imo have no chance of getting there.

Back