Floyd Mayweather v Fantastic Four

Hagler only had 3 losses? Floyd had none.

Floyd would just potshot him, stick and move. It'd be similar to the approach he took with Carlos Baldomir. Hagler would be frustrated within 3 rounds. Both Duran and Hagler has issues with good technical boxers. There are famous stories of Hagler kicking sparring partners out of camp because they wouldn't go toe to toe. Hagler got outboxed by journeymen lightweights early in his career and got clowned by a retired Ray Leonard at the end of it. How's he beating a prime version of Floyd?

People always ask how FLOYD is going to win. The better question is how a guy who never lost is going to lose to a guy who lost to lesser guys than him.Is Floyd going to suddenly stop being able to defend himself because he's fighting Hagler? Does Hagler suddenly find the solution to his issues with boxers because its Mayweather? Does Floyd start fighting like a retard because fans enjoy the image of him getting KO'd by Hagler?

Of the 2, Hagler is the tougher of the two fights for Floyd but honestly, I think he'd beat either a lot easier than most think.

It's true Hagler did get outboxed early in his career but later on it was only by Leonard. But Leonard was a much bigger man naturally than Floyd. He could hit harder which was something Hagler would have to respect. He'd not respect Floyds punches, they wouldn't do anything to iron head Hagler. Hagler could fight really well on the inside, in fact he outboxed even Duran on the inside. His body punching was terrific. I think he'd try and get close to Floyd and work him over to the body. Maidana gave Mayweather problems then magnify that ten-fold when it's the much bigger, stronger, harder hitting Hagler. I think if Floyd doesn't have a soft referee he's going to be for a torrid time with Hagler really bringing it to him on the inside.

And the same goes for Duran. Though he's closer in size to Floyd he's still naturally the bigger man. His inside fighting needs no introduction, he was a beast at close range. Again I bring up the Maidana fight where Floyd was made to look really uncomfortable when the fight got to close range. Maidana was ripping those really tight overhands almost vertically down onto Floyd with good success. I think that Duran would really aim to work the body to slow Floyd down. Floyd would be having to work for every second of every round something that he isn't used to doing. Floyds boxing on the outside is really good though and it's here that he has a big advantage over Duran and I think it would be similar to what Ray did to Duran IF Floyd can keep it at range. If he doesn't have a referee onside then he's going to find it hard to keep the fight at range with Duran.

It's true Hagler did get outboxed early in his career but later on it was only by Leonard. But Leonard was a much bigger man naturally than Floyd. He could hit harder which was something Hagler would have to respect. He'd not respect Floyds punches, they wouldn't do anything to iron head Hagler. Hagler could fight really well on the inside, in fact he outboxed even Duran on the inside. His body punching was terrific. I think he'd try and get close to Floyd and work him over to the body. Maidana gave Mayweather problems then magnify that ten-fold when it's the much bigger, stronger, harder hitting Hagler. I think if Floyd doesn't have a soft referee he's going to be for a torrid time with Hagler really bringing it to him on the inside.

And the same goes for Duran. Though he's closer in size to Floyd he's still naturally the bigger man. His inside fighting needs no introduction, he was a beast at close range. Again I bring up the Maidana fight where Floyd was made to look really uncomfortable when the fight got to close range. Maidana was ripping those really tight overhands almost vertically down onto Floyd with good success. I think that Duran would really aim to work the body to slow Floyd down. Floyd would be having to work for every second of every round something that he isn't used to doing. Floyds boxing on the outside is really good though and it's here that he has a big advantage over Duran and I think it would be similar to what Ray did to Duran IF Floyd can keep it at range. If he doesn't have a referee onside then he's going to find it hard to keep the fight at range with Duran.
Power had nothing to do with beating Hagler. Hearns was a murderous puncher, a bigger puncher than Leonard and he hit Hagler with his best shots. Mugabi was a big hitter too.

Hagler got outboxed by an old Duran for much of their fight. Floyd would have no trouble boxing him up over 12.

Power had nothing to do with beating Hagler. Hearns was a murderous puncher, a bigger puncher than Leonard and he hit Hagler with his best shots. Mugabi was a big hitter too.

Hagler got outboxed by an old Duran for much of their fight. Floyd would have no trouble boxing him up over 12.

So you believe Hagler would be the weakest in the group to fight Floyd?

No you are misunderstanding me. I wasn't talking power to be able to stop Hagler I mean enough power to make him respect you. Hagler would laugh at the little pitter patter shots that Floyd would land on him. If you can't deter him at all then you are going to have a hard job keeping him at bay. Hagler would be walking down Mayweather all night long.

And you think Duran outboxed Hagler?? You must have been watching another fight from me and I just watched it the other day. Hagler walked Duran down and beat him on the inside with body punches. Hagler didn't do so well at range where everyone thought he'd have the big advantage due to the sizeable reach he had on Duran. But he didn't get outboxed he just adapted and took the fight in close into what many people thought was Duran's wheelhouse.

No you are misunderstanding me. I wasn't talking power to be able to stop Hagler I mean enough power to make him respect you. Hagler would laugh at the little pitter patter shots that Floyd would land on him. If you can't deter him at all then you are going to have a hard job keeping him at bay. Hagler would be walking down Mayweather all night long.

And you think Duran outboxed Hagler?? You must have been watching another fight from me and I just watched it the other day. Hagler walked Duran down and beat him on the inside with body punches. Hagler didn't do so well at range where everyone thought he'd have the big advantage due to the sizeable reach he had on Duran. But he didn't get outboxed he just adapted and took the fight in close into what many people thought was Duran's wheelhouse.

If they don't respect your punching power you're in for a long night. I don't think Floyd would have anything power wise to keep Hagler off of him. He would need to rely on Hagler chasing him. This is where I believe his switch stance would come into play and he could cut the ring off. Of course I could be mistaken. Floyd could pull something out of nowhere. He makes adjustments quite well.

If they don't respect your punching power you're in for a long night. I don't think Floyd would have anything power wise to keep Hagler off of him. He would need to rely on Hagler chasing him. This is where I believe his switch stance would come into play and he could cut the ring off. Of course I could be mistaken. Floyd could pull something out of nowhere. He makes adjustments quite well.
Yeah, i agree it would be a battle of footwork. Would Hagler be able to pin down Mayweather. His switch stance you're right in that it might help him. Mayweather would need to be on the move every second of every round and I just don't know if he's capable of that as he likes to fight at his own pace usually by him dictating the terms of the fight.

Hagler only had 3 losses? Floyd had none.

Floyd would just potshot him, stick and move. It'd be similar to the approach he took with Carlos Baldomir. Hagler would be frustrated within 3 rounds. Both Duran and Hagler has issues with good technical boxers. There are famous stories of Hagler kicking sparring partners out of camp because they wouldn't go toe to toe. Hagler got outboxed by journeymen lightweights early in his career and got clowned by a retired Ray Leonard at the end of it. How's he beating a prime version of Floyd?

People always ask how FLOYD is going to win. The better question is how a guy who never lost is going to lose to a guy who lost to lesser guys than him.Is Floyd going to suddenly stop being able to defend himself because he's fighting Hagler? Does Hagler suddenly find the solution to his issues with boxers because its Mayweather? Does Floyd start fighting like a retard because fans enjoy the image of him getting KO'd by Hagler?

Of the 2, Hagler is the tougher of the two fights for Floyd but honestly, I think he'd beat either a lot easier than most think.
Good post! Everyone keeps thinking guys like Hagler or Duran would "out-tough" Floyd by doing what they've done to everyone else that they've beaten. But like you said, they never look at who they lost to, how they've lost and how there's no proven blueprint to how to beat Floyd, becasue he's never been beaten.

So you believe Hagler would be the weakest in the group to fight Floyd?
No, Duran then Hagler. Just remember this..... Floyd would NEVER put himself in the position to let Hagler have his way. When that happens, what else does Hagler have? Same with Duran only worse becasue he's smaller.

Good post! Everyone keeps thinking guys like Hagler or Duran would "out-tough" Floyd by doing what they've done to everyone else that they've beaten. But like you said, they never look at who they lost to, how they've lost and how there's no proven blueprint to how to beat Floyd, becasue he's never been beaten.
Yeah, and just so people won't say I think Floyd would beat everyone, I'd favor Hearns and Leonard over Floyd. Hearns is the toughest of the 4 for Floyd.

Yeah, and just so people won't say I think Floyd would beat everyone, I'd favor Hearns and Leonard over Floyd. Hearns is the toughest of the 4 for Floyd.
And I think Leonard would be, but no surprise I have those two as his toughest out of the four. Floyd is a damn good boxer that wouldn't take a fight unless he felt there was some aspect he could exploit. It would be so great to see, I think he's better than flolks give him credit for, and part of that might be becasue a majority of his resume doesnt command the respect they should. Sort of a Roy Jones Jr. thing.

I'd pick Leonard, Hagler and Hearns over Floyd. Duran would be 50-50. As a bonus, Benitez would be a good fight, but I'd definitely have to favor Floyd.

I'd favour all 4 against him, but Floyd is a boxing genius, so I couldn't give him no chance.
The Hit Man's reach and pulverising power is something I just can't see Floyd in any way being able to handle.
Hagler would surely just walk through floyd and brutalize him.
I'd guess sugar Ray would out dazzle him and win on points.
Duran is the closest in size to Floyd, so it's the most competitive matchup., but I believe he'd pressure Floyd and win. However, there's a chance Floyd could frustrate the hands of stone with his speed, movement and defensive brilliance.

I'd favor Hearns, Leonard and Hagler to beat Floyd. Duran IMO is a 50/50 fight at 147. The version that beat SRL in their first would be able to give Floyd hell. Leonard is just bigger and offers more offense to win a decision. Hearns is too big, too long and hits too hard, I think he'd have a good shot to stop Floyd. If they were close to the same size, I'd favor Floyd over Hagler, but Hagler is probably 3 weight classes bigger than Floyd's ideal weight. Floyd would look good in spots, but I think Hagler would overwhelm him honestly.

at LW Duran does Floyd, at WW Floyd beats Duran

I'm going on a limb now, but I think that Floyd is by far a better boxer than Sugar Ray Leonard ... however, Ray's athletic ability, volume, height and charisma secures him the victory ... but Floyd was a con man, he could look more dominant in rounds than he really was, cover up moments when he's hurt, he just had a bunch of tricks in his bag ... however, none of the opponents he did this to had the athletic ability of Leonard, not even Pacquiao, so it would be interesting to see what Floyd does here.

Tommy Hearns - I know this is the one opponent people count out of Floyd against due to Tommy's power and size. However, I think the gap in ring IQ gives Floyd a really good shot at winning and personally I look at this fight as a toss up ... I know Manny Steward stated that Floyd would never see Tommy's right hand coming right before he gets knocked out, but the footage Floyd has on Tommy shouldn't be overlooked ... Floyd knows about the right hand, he knows how Tommy moves, he knows that Tommy doesn't fight on the inside.

Hagler - I don't quite get this match up. At which weight class does it take place? LMW? Yes, Hagler could potentially go down, but Hagler made history at middleweight. Who wants to see a fight where the excuses are already written? Not saying that Floyd wins, but this is a fight I wouldn't want to see.
The name of the 4th man here should be Alexis Arguello or Aaron Pryor.

Floyd vs Leanord could go either way tbh slightly favor Leanord
Hearns wins
Hagler too big imho he would have to win by tko though as he would likely get outboxed
Duran either way too although I would favor Duran. according the tmt they all think Duran is better then Leanord

Back