Floyd Mayweather Jr

Don't forget Ortiz and Maidana twice. :p

Khan was actively campaigning at 140 when Floyd fought Ortiz (who just came off a win against Berto). That wasn't really an option there. As for Maidana - his run at welterweight was better than Khans at the time.

Khan was actively campaigning at 140 when Floyd fought Ortiz (who just came off a win against Berto). That wasn't really an option there. As for Maidana - his run at welterweight was better than Khans at the time.
How dare you actually understand how boxing works, he should've fought people he couldn't possibly have so we can shit on him later on down the road.

Berto, Guerrero , Maidana and Ortiz were all coming off of high profile wins and were all ranked in the top 5 or better.

Yes, the time line is off, Khan is still a tougher fight for him at WW when he was being strung along.

Ortiz only got the fight for beating Berto who was in line for the fight. Who was no better then than when they actually fought for Floyd's last fight. So if it wasn't Khan who was it that he should have fought? Manny?

Yes, the time line is off, Khan is still a tougher fight for him at WW when he was being strung along.

Ortiz only got the fight for beating Berto who was in line for the fight. Who was no better then than when they actually fought for Floyd's last fight. So if it wasn't Khan who was it that he should have fought? Manny?
Everyone says that the guys Floyd didn't fight were the toughest matchups for him. Had he fought MArgarito instead of Baldomir, we'd be talking about how he ducked Baldomir and it was a really tough fight for him because of what he did to Zab and Gatti.

Khan is trash. He's not beating an elite level fighter, ever, let alone Floyd.

Berto, Guerrero , Maidana and Ortiz were all coming off of high profile wins and were all ranked in the top 5 or better.
You word it that way to make it sound more impressive. They were high profile but were they quality wins? Who else was in the top 5?

If you erase Berto from the equation that leaves Maidana with a close win over Broner. So maybe he deserved the first fight but the second?

Everyone says that the guys Floyd didn't fight were the toughest matchups for him. Had he fought MArgarito instead of Baldomir, we'd be talking about how he ducked Baldomir and it was a really tough fight for him because of what he did to Zab and Gatti.

Khan is trash. He's not beating an elite level fighter, ever, let alone Floyd.
Margarito is definitely a tougher fight than Baldomir. Tall, rangy, pressure fighter with power and stamina. Baldomir didn't win the title because he was great. He won it because Zab is a notoriously hot and cold fighter. Gatti was ancient by then so that was as much a sacrifice as when Floyd fought him.

Khan isn't great and Floyd would have been a heavy favorite. At least he had the attributes and style to give Floyd a good test. A rangy guy with good speed that can move and has technique. Maybe he gets starched the way he did against Canelo but at least we'd see if he could win rounds early.

It's easy to just say the guys Floyd handpicked couldn't land a punch so no one in history could.

How dare you actually understand how boxing works, he should've fought people he couldn't possibly have so we can shit on him later on down the road.

Could you imagine? "lol Floyd fought a blown up JWW instead of the WBC champ!"

Could you imagine? "lol Floyd fought a blown up JWW instead of the WBC champ!"
Right. So my statement was out of time line so now I don't know shit about boxing and my view is just "hating".

Right. So my statement was out of time line so now I don't know shit about boxing and my view is just "hating".

Oh no, legitimately I didn't mean you. You're a legit guy. But that would've been the general consensus at the time.

Fwiw I wanted the Khan fight instead of Marcos, but Maidana proved his worth and had betters wins.

When we are old (well minus @Sean0 he is already old ) we will be talking about how no current fighter was like Floyd and that boxing is now water downed with no technique and just for casuals

Margarito wasnt on anyone's radar when Floyd beat Baldomir. Please STFU boxing noobs, you come across as poor and retarded.

not sure why Floyd gets any sort of hate in the slightest, the only fight i thought he could have done better with, was when he fought Baldomir, who was champ at the time, but clearly was not the best fighter at the weight

His resume from the last 10 years of his career is a who's who of fighters from the last decade:

Sharmba Mitchell
Zab Judah
Carlos Baldomir
Oscar De La Hoya
Ricky Hatton
Juan Manuel Marquez
Shane Mosely
Victor Ortiz
Miguel Cotto
Robert Guerrero
Saul Alvarez
Marcos Maidana
Manny Pacquiao
Andre Berto

That list doesnt include guys like Gatti, Castillo, Hernandez or Corrales either

How can anyone say margarito can't string two together? He beat Joshua clothe, Cintron and cotto. Before that he lost to Williams but before the Williams fight he was in a 4 or 5 winning streak if I recall. Floyd is smart, fighting margarito at his best made no sense. Too dangerous

How can anyone say margarito can't string two together? He beat Joshua clothe, Cintron and cotto. Before that he lost to Williams but before the Williams fight he was in a 4 or 5 winning streak if I recall. Floyd is smart, fighting margarito at his best made no sense. Too dangerous
BS. Margarito was a failed junior middleweight fighting on ESPN. He followed up his best win over Clottey (who lost to Baldomir) with a loss to Williams.
I'm not saying it wouldn't have been an interesting fight, but the notion that Margarito was some killer everyone avoided is nostalgic fabrication. He was too inconsistent.

BS. Margarito was a failed junior middleweight fighting on ESPN. He followed up his best win over Clottey (who lost to Baldomir) with a loss to Williams.
I'm not saying it wouldn't have been an interesting fight, but the notion that Margarito was some killer everyone avoided is nostalgic fabrication. He was too inconsistent.
wasn't it after the cotto fight when everyone actually started to want it?

i remember when people said that floyd wanted nothing to do with paul williams too

wasn't it after the cotto fight when everyone actually started to want it?

i remember when people said that floyd wanted nothing to do with paul williams too
And what happened next? He got ruined by Shane, who Floyd fought next.

Berto wasn't top 5. I don't even think top 10. Soto Karass had just tkod Berto a couple fights before he faced Floyd.

Berto wasn't top 5. I don't even think top 10. Soto Karass had just tkod Berto a couple fights before he faced Floyd.
You're either drunk or insane.

Back