Flaws in Wonderboy's game

Wonderboy will still tool Masvidal. His kicks are light years ahead of Cerrone and the notion that Masvidal will counter is ridiculous.

It will be up to Masdival to expose and exploit any weakness or opening. Wonderboy will not be the same against Jorge as he was vs Twood. Thompson had good enough hands and aggression to stop Whittaker, he was not able to bring Wonderboys weakness into play.

Wonderboys moves are weak. It's like the 'Machida era' all over again. A point fighting style will only take you so far, at some point you need to bite down and channel your inner horrible cuntness.

face chewed into hamburger meat? no, woodley hit him a couple of times and that was it

lol maias eye was a fucking hot mess get outta here. He ate a punch almost every time he shot in. The uppercut in R1 i wanna say shut his eye immediately. Then it was just more of the same all night. Maia shoots catches right hand and backs off. I didnt say it was a good fight but but your memory of it must be blurry. Not that I can blame you cuz it was nap inducing af. My point is atleast Maia tried even tho he got punished everytime he shot. WB wasnt willing to take that risk at all.

HR8EWS5.png

He isn't a very good boxer and his defense isn't great either. I do like him, but Woodley refused to play his game and Wonderboy was lost; however with a few more kicks and a polished jab, Wonderboy could have easily taken the belt.

Mentally he's an athlete as opposed to a fighter. He's got character and doesn't easily fold, which goes a long, long way -- but he needs a more lethal killer instinct to take more advantage of his opportunities. Or make them.

He probably could use trickier footwork too, to get his opponents to shuffle into his range. When they commit wrongly, that's where he should be counter-striking.

lol maias eye was a fucking hot mess get outta here. He ate a punch almost every time he shot in. The uppercut in R1 i wanna say shut his eye immediately. Then it was just more of the same all night. Maia shoots catches right hand and backs off. I didnt say it was a good fight but but your memory of it must be blurry. Not that I can blame you cuz it was nap inducing af. My point is atleast Maia tried even tho he got punished everytime he shot. WB wasnt willing to take that risk at all.

HR8EWS5.png
yes, it was a single punch (the first) that made this mess on his eye. woodley is the most boring champ in the UFC, by far

he took a couple of punches, he was punished by his takedown attempts, but woodley didn't do much

Wonderboy is the best striker in mma. He shit then bed v Woodley but won't lose a 3rd to him

yes, it was a single punch (the first) that made this mess on his eye. woodley is the most boring champ in the UFC, by far

he took a couple of punches, he was punished by his takedown attempts, but woodley didn't do much

no shit woodleys boring so is maia so is wonderboy. Thats why all these title fights have been trash. Woodley def up there with GSP on boredom levels. we're not debating that lol
Neither one did much in that fight im not arguing that. Im saying that maia got tagged everytime he shot in. You're just tryin to make this about your dislike for Woodley which aint what im talking about at all

no shit woodleys boring so is maia so is wonderboy. Thats why all these title fights have been trash. Woodley def up there with GSP on boredom levels. we're not debating that lol
Neither one did much in that fight im not arguing that. Im saying that maia got tagged everytime he shot in. You're just tryin to make this about your dislike for Woodley which aint what im talking about at all
I'm just saying it wasn't that bad. his eye was a mess because of a single punch, and not that woodley made his face look like hamburger meat (it didn't) by a barrage of punches

Maia's left eyeball looks 2 inches higher than right wtf

Wonderboy will still tool Masvidal. His kicks are light years ahead of Cerrone and the notion that Masvidal will counter is ridiculous.

his hands arent nearly as good as his feet. He likes to counter and with Woodley he was gunshy cuz if Woodley touches you you're taking a seat. WB learned that first hand multiple times in the first fight and nearly finished the same way in the second. WB was DEFINITELY a huge factor in that fight sucking. When you're a challenger you cant just dance around posturing and posing for 5 rounds the onus is on the title challenger not the guy defending. hell even human backpack full of lunesta damien maia tried his fucking damndest and got his face chewed into hamburger meat in the process.

That fight was a real catch 22 tho. both guys knew if they over committed they'd getting carried out of the cage. I expect to see WB a lil more aggressive vs other guys without as much 1pko power
his kicks are better than maybe anyone and he stuck the dogfuck out of Johnny. if he hadn't been taken downnpounded in the last 2 fights he'd be champ now. The only weakness is off his back/getting to his feet imo.

I'm just saying it wasn't that bad. his eye was a mess because of a single punch, and not that woodley made his face look like hamburger meat (it didn't) by a barrage of punches

no barrage but he landed consistently on that eye all night. It happened, it occurred lol. again all im trying to say is maia took a chance and took his licks to try and win the fight something we didnt see WB do in either fight. and the few times WB over committed he almost got stopped in both fights. This was never about disliking Woodley WB or Maia. the thread was about WB influence in making the rematch stink. We already know Woodleys influence on it but it takes 2 to tango.

no barrage but he landed consistently on that eye all night. It happened, it occurred lol. again all im trying to say is maia took a chance and took his licks to try and win the fight something we didnt see WB do in either fight. and the few times WB over committed he almost got stopped in both fights. This was never about disliking Woodley WB or Maia. the thread was about WB influence in making the rematch stink. We already know Woodleys influence on it but it takes 2 to tango.
yes both were boring, but woodley is the champ. wonderboy was also boring but why would I talk about him? there's a fight approaching and I hope he gets stopped. not because I dislike him, which I don't, but masvidal is doing great work and has great boxing

now from all 3 I think demian is the most exciting guy. tried his thing against woodley but failed, but is generally working guys on the ground and/or submitting them

Karate isn't as effective as it once was in mma. Fighters already more less know what to expect and what flaws they can exploit. For example, The way he executes his punch combinations has a lot of flaws (just like machida, he likes to burst in and out throwing fast, straight punches with his chin up in the air, and this leaves them in danger of getting countered with a cross or overhand when fighting in punching/phone booth distance). His kicks are his biggest asset, however, it's when he kicks with his lead leg when he has the most success cause it's something you really don't see in mma (especially the side kick and hook kick). He should use the last one more often, it's very hard to read if he disguises it mixing side kicks to the body and leg and it would've been a good technique to use against tyron. As someone said in the comments, he also lacks aggresiveness sometimes (I asociate that to the fact he is more of a martial artist than a fighter, weird to see nowadays and one of the reasons I like him so much too. Reminds me of my years training tkd when I was a child).

Pd:it seems like his bjj isn't the best but his grappling game is ok. More often than not, he manages to keep the fight standing/ stand up.

Last edited:
Back