• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Flail = Best Melee Weapon for Self-Defense

cant you just swing the chain?
instead of fucking about with a shopping bag

Flails and maces are the most difficult battlefield weapons to master,if you dont use them right you'll end uo taking your own head off :D.

Are you really ready to kill? Lay off the weapons and practice some common sense.

Hilarious post by TS. Carrying daily a home-made flail for use as a deadly weapon at school...

Well played, sir. Well played.

A morning star always worked when I was in high school. Kids these days jus don noh

Just be a nice kid and do your homework so you don't end up in jail and get raped, lock in a bag or not.

I go to a school where owning a gun or a knife is highly impractical to say the least.

A gun is obviously the ideal self-defense weapon, however barring that I used to carry a knife on me. Neither of these is an option at my school. This has led me to hit upon a melee weapon that is not only far more dangerous in the hands of an untrained fighter, but one that is more innocuous too: the flail.

Let me explain my construction. It is a green cloth re-usable grocery bag with a large master lock dropped inside and a knot tied in the middle. Simple. Anyone could make something similar with any number of items. However in my opinion, the two I've named are ideal.

Since it is essentially just a bag and a lock, it is highly innocuous even in complete form, but when separated into it's components can go literally anywhere, even places where less dangerous knives are banned. In fact, it has far less potential for legal trouble, across the board, than a gun or knife.

Some may dispute that a flail, like I've described, is more dangerous than a knife. They would argue that a knife offers rapid lethality in the hands of a skilled fighter. This is true, but I for one, am not exceptionally confident in my knife fighting skills, and I doubt the majority of people interested in a self-defense weapon are.

A flail is easy to use. You swing it hard, at your assailants head, and they will go down, no matter if they are exceptionally strong, and even if you aren't the most athletic person. Even a body or extremity shot from an object traveling so quickly is likely to be devastating, if not completely incapacitating. Moreover, the blunt force trauma of the flail is certainly more disabling, which is of utmost importance in a tight situation.

I could go on and on about the advantage of a flail, or similar impact weapon, over a similarly sized edge weapon. Thoughts, sherdoggers?

If you've never trained with flexible weapons before you are just as likely to hit yourself in the back of the head as you are your assailant.

Flexible weapons in the hands of an untrained person are EXTREMELY dangerous, to the person wielding them.

Also, if you must do this, a sock with the same master lock / fistful of sand / bar of soap / roll of quarters works just as well and is much more concealable.

If you get caught at any school with any of these you'll still likely be given disciplinary action for possessing a concealed weapon.

You're much better off just actually training.

I know it is not deadly, but pepper spray is dam good for self defense. I used it constantly as a bouncer in a fairly dangerous night club and it always worked. Even if it does not take out the attacker, it will blind them giving you a serious advantage. It also will be much less questionable legally. Carrying a homemade weapon such as this could be considered intent to use deadly force. Seriously you might have less legal problems just getting a concealed carry permit and using a gun in self defense.

since it would be rather obtrusive to wear a plate harness around or carry a shield to work, the best impliment for melee combat vs an unarmored foe is a stave weapon.

A quarterstaff provides ideal range, speed, power (due to leverage), and flexiblity in both offense and defense, thanks to low weight and t he cabability to change grips along the haft, aswell as permitting a free hand to grapple with.

In cases where a big stick would be obtrusive, a cane is a functional alternative, classy *and* practical.

since it would be rather obtrusive to wear a plate harness around or carry a shield to work, the best impliment for melee combat vs an unarmored foe is a stave weapon.

A quarterstaff provides ideal range, speed, power (due to leverage), and flexiblity in both offense and defense, thanks to low weight and t he cabability to change grips along the haft, aswell as permitting a free hand to grapple with.

In cases where a big stick would be obtrusive, a cane is a functional alternative, classy *and* practical.

I agree 100%...

[NSFW] Man stops punk with a cane, properly... [NSFW]

"How'd that taste, motherf*cker!?!?!?"

:icon_lol:

Last edited:
First time I ever opened the weapons and tactics forum and i see this stupid thread. I would understand if you went to some state school in compton, then maybe you should fear for you life. So some kids got beaten up and mugged near the campus. Big deal. You want to defend yourself? Take up boxing or bjj and not waste your time making home made weapons to take to school...bahaha this is such a joke I can't believe you are actually serious. Focus on your studies and grow up.

Back