• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Flail = Best Melee Weapon for Self-Defense

Para Chord... could be used for deadly force, or restraint.... and its ridiculously concealable.. it's basically rope !!

this idea is absolute garbage. not only is your flail going to be easily taken from you, there is a minimum range you will have to maintain in order to use the weapon, and all they have to do is make you miss once and you're screwed. TS, I worry for you.

Same here. Flails are hard to control; miss, and you have to follow through- you can't stop like with a stick; hit, and the flail behaves unpredictably, delaying a follow-up strike.

Methinks you've seen Braveheart one too many times.....

guns for show, knives for a pro.

You don't see Crocodile Dundee deterring potential muggers with a Bowie... flail.

ps. a lock in a bag that is knotted off would certainly raise some eyebrows and if you are in any altercation and can't prove self defense, it will definitely be seen as a weapon. If you are carrying the parts separately, they won't be ready when you need them. Spend a few bucks on key chain pepper spray if you are this worried.

not to mention he will probably hit himself in the nads on the return swing

Somebody else said Kubotan, it is very easily manufactored and practical

PVK0001.jpg

I have my keys attached with a snap of, like one you'd use on a back pack (don't know the word for it)

I used to carry one of these when I was a delivery driver. I got very good at using it. I got to the point I had a nasty surprise uppercut with the steel bar on a quick draw from the pocket.

What campus in Louisville are people being mugged on?!?

i live in Oldham County, so please enlighten me.

Ok I went to a school where there was a 1-2 gang fights every week. Hell vice principal jumped in one, one time. She threw down lol. Funniest shit ever. I carried weapons on me after school for a while, just in case. But pretty much talked my way/knew the right people during school. Oh shit I forgot I had a razor blade in my hat. I don't think a flail would've covered it lol. But still self defense is more than a physical thing.

This has led me to hit upon a melee weapon that is not only far more dangerous in the hands of an untrained fighter, but one that is more innocuous too: the flail.

I could go on and on about the advantage of a flail, or similar impact weapon, over a similarly sized edge weapon. Thoughts, sherdoggers?

No. The flail has always been known as weapon that is as likely to injure an untrained user as the intended target. It's not an easy weapon to use at all.

If you want a good simple effective weapon of the impact variety my choice would be a sap. Pity they are illegal to use here in the UK or I'd definitely carry one for self-defence purposes.

Okay there are a bunch of internet combat theorist on this thread

you are not going to get disarmed wielding a flail in real life on less the other guy is fighting for his life

in real life when a guy pulls a knife gun, bat (okay I've never been in a situaiton where a guy pulled out a flail but I'm analogizing) the other dude backs the fuck off so bring your flail to school if you ever need to use it I gurantee swinging around will deter the campus muggers

you are not going to get disarmed wielding a flail in real life on less the other guy is fighting for his life

in real life when a guy pulls a knife gun, bat (okay I've never been in a situaiton where a guy pulled out a flail but I'm analogizing) the other dude backs the fuck off so bring your flail to school if you ever need to use it I gurantee swinging around will deter the campus muggers

And when the other guy laughs at your flail and pulls out something better - he can claim self defense legally if he kills - because you pulled your weapon first, raising the level of escalation. This, of course, varies by each state's legal definition.

A flail would be easier to disarm than a knife or gun - depending on the flail design.

Not theory, applied practice. A flail is really only dangerous at the very end were the head is. To stop it you just have to intercept the "chain" which is really easy to do. you do have ot be sure to not let it catch you noggin on the wrap around but after that you control the weapon.

Back