First F-35B Squadron Moves to Japan

Of course. Crawl-walk-run etc. Still bad news for them though.

You know anything about those new A2A missiles that are in development for aircraft? Like the cuda or aim-160?

You know anything about those new A2A missiles that are in development for aircraft? Like the cuda or aim-160?

Sure - CUDA was never a real missile and never will be. It was just a concept Lockheed floated to see if there was interest.

As it happens there kind of was - the SACM missile will now probably be similar in concept to CUDA but Raytheon will be producing it, not LM. My guess is it will be a smaller thrust vectored missile that can reach out to BVR range as well. Not unrealistic when you consider that the RAAF and RAF already use the AIM132 ASRAAM as a mini AIM120 (such an awesome and overlooked missile the AIM132...).

It will be interesting to see how SACM ultimately turns out, because it will probably be the first missile the US produces with 5th gen aircraft explicitly in mind as potential targets. My guess is it will have a multi mode seeker and a dual pulse motor with dimensions sufficient to carry 2 of them per AMRAAM slot.

Last edited:
CUDA was never a real missile and never will be. It was just a concept Lockheed floated to see if there was interest.

As it happens there kind of was - the SACM missile will now probably be similar in concept to CUDA but Raytheon will be producing it, not LM. My guess is it will be a smaller thrust vectored missile that can reach out to BVR range as well. Not unrealistic when you consider that the RAAF and RAF already use the AIM132 ASRAAM as a mini AIM120 (such an awesome and overlooked missile the AIM132...).

It will be interesting to see how SACM ultimately turns out, because it will probably be the first missile the US produces with 5th gen aircraft explicitly in mind as potential targets. My guess is it will have a multi mode seeker and a dual pulse motor with dimensions sufficient to carry 2 of them per AMRAAM slot.

whens that suppose to come out?

I knew a chick once whose bra size was F-35D

whens that suppose to come out?

~early to mid 2020s. I don't think a lot of specifics have been hammered out yet.

Smart in a way - probably worth waiting until T50, J20 etc are in a more stable and finished form before you design the weapon to kill them with (!).

~early to mid 2020s. I don't think a lot of specifics have been hammered out yet.

Smart in a way - probably worth waiting until T50, J20 etc are in a more stable and finished form before you design the weapon to kill them with (!).

lol J-20 is further away from production then the the T-50

lol J-20 is further away from production then the the T-50

Yeah its hard to say. Neither program is like the F35 where so much of the dirty laundry gets aired in public. I imagine the main issues will surround propulsion.

Interestingly though, there have been quite a lot of murmurs recently about the possibility of re-establishing competition for the F35s engine. If they end up going through with it, the F35 could end up with a variable bypass engine born out of the AETP program around the same time PAK FA et al are getting their own final engines.

Difference is this sort of propulsion system could extend the F35s range significantly, make it even stealthier, faster and more agile. Given how important range performance is in the Pacific theatre, I think this actually has a good chance of going ahead.

EDIT: Also as far as missiles are concerned I'd keep an eye on CAMM and JNAAM as well. The former will probably produce a SACM type missile based on the ASRAAM that will also be compatible with internal carriage in the F35. The latter will combine the ramjet propulsion system from the MBDA Meteor with the AESA seekerhead of the Japanese AAM4B. It will probably take the place of AMRAAM in British and Japanese F35s.

Last edited:
Yeah its hard to say. Neither program is like the F35 where so much of the dirty laundry gets aired in public. I imagine the main issues will surround propulsion.

Interestingly though, there have been quite a lot of murmurs recently about the possibility of re-establishing competition for the F35s engine. If they end up going through with it, the F35 could end up with a variable bypass engine born out of the AETP program around the same time PAK FA et al are getting their own final engines.

Difference is this sort of propulsion system could extend the F35s range significantly, make it even stealthier, faster and more agile. Given how important range performance is in the Pacific theatre, I think this actually has a good chance of going ahead.

EDIT: Also as far as missiles are concerned I'd keep an eye on CAMM and JNAAM as well. The former will probably produce a SACM type missile based on the ASRAAM that will also be compatible with internal carriage in the F35. The latter will combine the ramjet propulsion system from the MBDA Meteor with the AESA seekerhead of the Japanese AAM4B. It will probably take the place of AMRAAM in British and Japanese F35s.

Are you sure your not referring to the ADVENT program which is currently in development right now? i know the f-35 is gonna be the test bed for it.

i've heard about the Meteor missile, if i recall the range on it is far greater then the aim-120

Are you sure your not referring to the ADVENT program which is currently in development right now? i know the f-35 is gonna be the test bed for it.

i've heard about the Meteor missile, if i recall the range on it is far greater then the aim-120
ADVENT gave rise to AETP. Hard to say as ranges on air to air missiles are always tricky.

AIM120D just uses a smokeless booster to take it up to Mach 4+ and then glides the rest of the way. At high altitude this probably works well because the thin air won't slow it down so quickly. It also makes it tough to detect by MAWS systems unless the seekerhead goes active.

Meteor uses a rather smoky booster to get it past Mach 1, then switches to a throttleable ramjet for the rest of the flight. This means it can turn its own throttle up and down as it needs to while in flight so as to save fuel or maneuver optimally. The penalty is that the airframe is probably draggier when fuel runs out and having the ramjet burning for so long might make it stand out to IR based MAWS systems.

Ultimately they both reflect different design philosophies. AIM120D is probably better suited to F22/35 style sneak attacks, while Meteor is optimised for use against opponents who are aware they're being shot at, but won't be able to save themselves anyway (think about how Typhoon or Gripen would have to fight compared to a VLO jet like the F35).

Last edited:
I dont know mych about the f35 other than a lot of people think its a bad and over priced plane. Why are countries buying them if this is the case?

I dont know mych about the f35 other than a lot of people think its a bad and over priced plane. Why are countries buying them if this is the case?

Because while the program has been a nightmare to get through, the jet itself is extremely capable. Being privy to the relevant classified briefings probably opens a lot of eyes (I have heard as much repeatedly).

China/NK must be delighted lol
Yep, a plane full of problems being rushed into service is a godsend.
Because while the program has been a nightmare to get through, the jet itself is extremely capable. Being privy to the relevant classified briefings probably opens a lot of eyes (I have heard as much repeatedly).
Benefiting financially from the program changes surely changes how you view the white elephant.

Benefiting financially from the program changes surely changes how you view the white elephant.

We've had this debate already mate, give it a rest. lol

I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said by the relevant members if the air forces in question.

lol@ trumpet being a aerospace expert

maybe he stayed at a Holiday Express Inn last night.

trump-pointing-e1453984586719.jpg

Back