First F-35B Squadron Moves to Japan

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
WASHINGTON — A Marine Corps F-35B squadron has transferred from the United States to Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni in Japan, marking the first permanent international deployment of the joint strike fighter, the service announced Tuesday.

Marine Corps spokesman Capt Kurt Stahl told Defense News that 10 F-35Bs from Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 (VMFA-121) departed Marine Corps Air Station Yuma in Arizona on Monday, with the first jets slated to arrive in Japan on Wednesday. All 10 F-35s will arrive at Iwakuni by Thursday. Eventually, an additional six jets will be relocated from Yuma to Iwakuni, bringing the squadron up to a full 16 aircraft.

VMFA-121 is a part of the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing.

“The transition of VMFA-121 from MCAS Yuma to MCAS Iwakuni marks a significant milestone in the F-35B program as the Marine Corps continues to lead the way in the advancement of stealth fighter attack aircraft,” the service said in a statement.

The Air Force will become the next US service to internationally deploy the joint strike fighter, but is opting to locate its first squadron in Europe rather than in the Asia-Pacific. The F-35A will be permanently based at Royal Air Force Base Lakenheath in England as early as 2020.

not entirely sure when the C variant will be operational, but i imagine soon. And apparently on British carriers, since the English defense chief is a moron

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/first-f-35b-squadron-moves-to-japan

I find it strange that the B version was ready before the C version. Was that because they allocated more resources to getting it ready or because the C version is proving more problematic?

I find it strange that the B version was ready before the C version. Was that because they allocated more resources to getting it ready or because the C version is proving more problematic?

i believe the C had the most problems. they should be operational soon.

i believe the C had the most problems
I did a quick google search and I didn't realize quire how different the C airframe was to the A. Makes sense now.

Has the 34th been flying the F-35A in exercises yet?

I did a quick google search and I didn't realize quire how different the C airframe was to the A. Makes sense now.

Has the 34th been flying the F-35A in exercises yet?
Last I heard, they are taking them down to Red Flag which is supposed to begin January 23rd for their first exercise.

Last I heard, they are taking them down to Red Flag which is supposed to begin January 23rd for their first exercise.
Well, I guess that's when they find out if it can hang or not. Tbh just hanging won't be enough, even though it's their first exercise they'll be expected to either dominate or be ruled a failure.

Well, I guess that's when they find out if it can hang or not. Tbh just hanging won't be enough, even though it's their first exercise they'll be expected to either dominate or be ruled a failure.
Oh they will be dominating. They've been running them through exercises in in Idaho. They tend to think they are the tits it seems.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/story...uced-training-challenges-pilot-says/87760454/

The F-35s resorted to flipping on their transponders, used for FAA identification, so that simulated anti-air weapons could track the planes, Watkins said.

“We basically told them where we were at and said, ‘Hey, try to shoot at us,’ ” he said, adding that without the transponders on, “most likely we would not have suffered a single loss from any SAM threats while we were training at Mountain Home.”

“When we go to train, it’s really an unfair fight for the guys who are simulating the adversaries,” Watkins continued. “We’ve been amazed by what we can do when we go up against fourth-gen adversaries in our training environment, in the air and on the ground.”

Watkins said he can take four F-35s and “be everywhere and nowhere at the same time because we can cover so much ground with our sensors, so much ground and so much airspace. And the F-15s or F-16s, or whoever is simulating an adversary or red air threat, they have no idea where we’re at and they can’t see us and they can’t target us.”

“That’s a pretty awesome feeling when you’re going out to train for combat,” Watkins concluded, "to know that your pilots are in an unfair fight.”

The F-35 is dogshit and will get people killed, like most of the crap our military-industrial complex is sticking the American taxpayer with.

Oh they will be dominating. They've been running them through exercises in in Idaho. They tend to think they are the tits it seems.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/story...uced-training-challenges-pilot-says/87760454/

The F-35 is dogshit and will get people killed, like most of the crap our military-industrial complex is sticking the American taxpayer with.
Carl needs a sauce, otherwise i'll go with "its the tits" until further notice

That's been the planned schedule for a while now - B, A then C. Not sure what the original reasoning was but it's proving to be handy given how badly the USMCs older jets are ageing.

Word is that the USAF will follow suit with a similar deployment of their A models soon and that, yes, they've been stealing everyone’s lunch money in the mean time.

That's been the planned schedule for a while now - B, A then C. Not sure what the original reasoning was but it's proving to be handy given how badly the USMCs older jets are ageing.

Word is that the USAF will follow suit with a similar deployment of their A models soon and that, yes, they've been stealing everyone’s lunch money in the mean time.

Harriers are retirees and need replacing first.

B and C are taking spots of still flying jets.

Harriers are retirees and need replacing first.

B and C are taking spots of still flying jets.

Not exactly. USMC also operates a geriatric fleet of classic Hornets that have become so old they've started killing people. For instance the unit that just deployed to Japan was previously a Hornet unit, not a Harrier one.

USAF and USN are staring down the barrel of a similar problem with their own Falcons and classic Hornets, but seem to be fairing better for now.

Last edited:
There's apparently is a F-35D model

Last edited:
First F-35B Fighter Jets Arrive in Japan

MELBOURNE, Australia — The first Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters have arrived in Japan, beginning the type’s first permanent overseas basing assignment with the US Marine Corps.

According to the III Marine Expeditionary Force, F-35Bs from Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 121 “Green Knights” arrived at Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Iwakuni, Japan, at approximately 5:30 p.m. local time on Wednesday.

These are the first of what will eventually be 16 VMFA-121 F-35Bs to be based at Iwakuni, with 10 aircraft scheduled to arrive this month and another six to arrive over the summer. Defense News reported earlier that the F-35Bs had left MCAS Yuma, Arizona, to cross the Pacific on Jan. 9.

“The arrival of the F-35B embodies our commitment to the defense of Japan and the regional security of the Pacific,” said Maj. Gen. Russell Sanborn, the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing commanding general. “We are bringing the most advanced technology to the Pacific to respond to the wide range of missions we take part in and provide greater support to our regional allies.”

Iwakuni is already home to a forward-deployed Marine F/A-18D Hornet squadron and a squadron of KC-130J Hercules tanker-transport aircraft, along with a number of air assets of the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/first-f-35b-fighter-jets-arrive-in-japan

Back