1. Come join Sherdog.com writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos tonight for a live video chat series titled "The Trenches," LIVE Every Thursday at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT!

Fightmetric stats are not facts

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by lalaland, May 28, 2018.

1. lalaland

lalaland Brown Belt

To all the tards out there who take fightmetric stats as gospel. First of all, they're not accurate. Secondly, they have very little value in judging the outcome of a fight or round.

Kung Fu bb, po_thead, Toco and 11 others like this.
  2. Arm Barbarian

Arm Barbarian Steel Belt Platinum Member

Unless they're watching in super slo-mo, they are no more qualified than the average, long term fan, imo.

3. kuka45

kuka45 Brown Belt

Okey so UFC stats are same as fight metrics stats, so can I say stats given by UFC are not valueable?
    I mean we live in 2018, how hard is to give correct stats after fight?
    Is MMA serious sport?

Fedor's NO.1 Fan and Mr hanky like this.
  4. Fstepp

Fstepp Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

What if the fellow pressing the button presses a little bit extra? And maybe sneezes during the peaceful pressing-session?

Might even be faulty stats, like a takedown that was never there etc.

Strikes are bound to be missed as well by a random TV-guy.

5. Kingz

Kingz Gold Belt

A correct tally is one thing. Significance and weight scoring are completely subjective..even in 2018

6. Franklin U.

Franklin U. Silver Belt

Well, that's why it's broken down by strikes and significant strikes and its up to judges to get it right......which shouldn't be a difficult thing.
    This isn't calculus or advanced mathematical theories

7. sadowolf

sadowolf Chalk Belt

I dunno how FightMetric has been handling the stats since they became the official UFC stat provider (you would think they're more thorough now, but it doesn't seem like it) but prior to that they gave more detailed stat reports that actually showed some context of the strikes landed, even if it wasn't perfect. Nowadays people just look at the number, and whoever's is highest wins...unless it belongs to the person they didn't think won. I dunno if it's changed, but last I heard Rami Genauer (the founder of FightMetric) break it down, a significant strike is literally any strike that lands flush and is of some consequence, and insignificant strikes essentially don't matter. So that means if you land 20 solid jabs but your opponent lands 15 hard hooks the significant strikes stats will just say you outlanded your opponent 20 to 15 and give no indication of the quality of strikes. To get that you need to watch and pay attention to the fight. I believe this definition of a sig strike came out of the difficulty of truly determining what is "significant," so they simplified the meaning, but pre-UFC FightMetric would specify between "jab" and "power" strikes.

Again I dunno if this has changed, but prior to working with the UFC they would re-watch the fights in slow-mo and assign a person to each fighter in a bout to try and get accurate stats. I heard some time ago that for UFC broadcasts they have people watching the fights and hitting buttons like Rogan apparently said, but post-fight they have people re-watch the fight in slow-mo to adjust the numbers if needed. They seem to put less focus on the stats in broadcasts than they used to, but back when they really leaned on them, the final stats when you checked the FightMetric site would often be different from what they showed on the broadcast.

Ultimately, the stats are a tool and shouldn't be used as an end-all, be-all argument for who won a fight. They can only be trusted to tell a part of the story, even if the numbers are 100% accurate.

kumitechamp likes this.
  8. Pancake Sprawl

Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

[​IMG]

9. kumitechamp

kumitechamp Green Belt

I’m fine with the decision I felt wonderboy won 3-2 but I can see someone givibg Till 2 of the rounds based on the closeness and Till being the aggressor and Till obviously won the final round. The judges that judged the fight 49-46 shouldn’t be judging fights in my opinion.

10. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

Who cares. That fight sucked no one deserved the win. Stop playing Patty cake and fight. Colby bless

Possum, po_thead and Rubberman1 like this.
  11. Plissken

Plissken Gold Belt

Numbers are meaningless without context. A lot of Till's strikes were glancing due to WB's movement, why count them the same as a clean flush shot?

12. moreorless87

moreorless87 Listening In

Striking landing there pretty decent for, the issue tends to be more that simple stats don't tell you the power of those strikes.

Till/Thompson though was I think a good fight to look at stats in as both guys were throwing pretty similar strikes, unlike say Lawler/Condit were one guy was throwing much harder strikes than the other.

13. moreorless87

moreorless87 Listening In

Bring on the hugging.

mb23100 likes this.
  14. bigconan

bigconan Silver Belt

All I know is, till landed 2 strikes that had a definite effect on WB. First that kick to the leg...causing wb to not only back away but switch stances..his leg buckled...then the knockdown in the final round...while wb never landed anything of significance in the entire fight.

15. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

Totally agree.
    And hate hearing about those stats afterwards.

I saw a fight a while back with a definite kneebar attempt, but it was not entered by Fightmetric.

16. rob mafia

rob mafia Purple Belt

we pointfightning now, bitches!

it took a while, but mma has finally achieved the pinnacle of krotty/tkd.

17. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________

100% true.

Volume doesn't guarantee you a win.

18. Philtard

Philtard Black Belt

Part of the scoring criteria should be like coursage with wild sloppiness losing points and technical brilliance getting more points. Special moves like a triple hadouken should should be what fighters should be aiming for

Swarthy likes this.
  19. EGarrett

EGarrett Silver Belt

[​IMG]

rambosabeast and Swarthy like this.
  20. Swarthy

Swarthy Black belt hips

Till - 38 of 126 total + 1 knock down + octagon control = WINNER
    Rd 1 - 4
    Rd 2 - 9
    Rd 3 - 9
    Rd 4 - 7
    Rd 5 - 9

Thompson - 30 of 126 total
    Rd 1 - 5
    Rd 2 - 6
    Rd 3 - 8
    Rd 4 - 8
    Rd 5 - 3

2, 3, 5 Till. The better fighter won. Get over it.

MuayThai101 and Edgy Brah like this.