Fighters who got into the UFC on the coattails of others..

Shit coaching hampered how far Marina's career really could've gone, unfortunately. She was another prospect who's judo translated decently to MMA.

I think she's done though. Last I heard she was preggo.
She had a child. Probably not going to come back.

I think it is more from the camp they belong too vice coattails. But McG and Ace did bring in a few who had no business being there in my opinion.

sorry, but that is not true.
Ronda, when she signed and came to the UFC, at that time UFC only had Liz Carmouche signed.

Ronda only met Jessamyn Duke and Shayna Basler on TUF.
Then why was Shayna and Duke with her at El Nino, long before they were on TUF?

Was there a 4th?

Marina Shafir was 145 and she called it quit before they opened the division for Cyborg. She was badly KO twice in a row in exactly 37 seconds, and never fought again.

Gall kinda sorta rode CM Punks coattails in

T.J. Dillashaw got his chance because of Faber. I was at his last fight prior to him doing TUF, and it was only his 4th professional fight. Obviously he was good enough to be a UFC fighter, but without belonging to a major camp and having Uriah vouch for him I don't think he would have been there after 4 fights.

I think that's why it stung so much for Uriah when he left because he had invested a lot of time into T.J., promoted fights for him on the local level and got him his opportunity in the UFC. Just when that investment was about to pay off with a champion level paycheck coming in, T.J. decided to leave Alpha Male.

well, basically, the most famous one has to be Werdum...

Tito too, via Tank...

Frank via Ken...

All the Gracies too...hundreds...thousands...
was going to say this. wasnt werdum a jitsu coach for cro cop

Yeah, some kid that had no business fighting professionally.

I wouldn't go that far the dude is young and just got called up too early now it's hard to step back down to local shows

I wouldn't go that far the dude is young and just got called up too early now it's hard to step back down to local shows

Yeah, he was way too young and way too inexperienced. He shouldn't have been fighting professionally, not at that time at least.

She had a child. Probably not going to come back.
Yea, figures.

It's a shame too. I think she had some potential. And she was 145, which DESPERATELY needs fighters.

Edmonds a real sport killer :(

Sean Gannon got a UFC fight after he beat Kimbo in a street fight

To be fair There is no set criteria for getting into the ufc man
Cain for example if i recall got in as there were aka guys in the ufc ,looked impressive in some wins at the local level and the ufc matchmakers have ties in that camp!
Normaly as long as your winning a few fights somewhere and you catch someone at ufc head offices eye thats it!!...its not massively better than getting in as your conors buddy etc
theres clear cases of it happening tho. Like Artem, he had a rubbish record and got into tuf to be eliminated in the entry fight. Brought back purely because of his connection to Conor

Tito Ortiz. He was Tank Abbott's slave

Then why was Shayna and Duke with her at El Nino, long before they were on TUF?
quite frankly, I don't know nor care.
The point is, they didn't get in because of Ronda. They got in because they went to TUF and the UFC needed fighters.

Came here to post Vernon White. Telligman also could be in that category, but he had some solid wins. Beat Igor before his UFC debut, if my timeline is right.
Can't forget Pete Williams!!!!!

Sean Gannon got a UFC fight after he beat Kimbo in a street fight

It was amazing. Dana was constantly saying that Kimbo sucked and will never be in the UFC, while signing a guy just because he beat Kimbo. Moments later, Kimbo was in TUF and in the UFC...

Back