Fighters who got into the UFC on the coattails of others..

handspeed

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Was thinking about how Artem Lobov really wouldn’t have gotta a shot in TUF or the UFC if not for his connection to Conor.

Artem is a solid fighter but realistically with his track record he had a miniscule chance of making it into the UFC had he not been Conor’s bestie.

Are there any other fighters who come to mind that have been given opportunities by the UFC because they knew someone?

Gian Villante made a few waves in Strikeforce but I feel like his fame really came from being Chris Weidman’s buddy and should have been released a few fights ago.

Didn't Artem fight some no name guy from Diaz's camp on 202?

WMMA, if not for Ronda
And before her, WMMA (in strikeforce), if not for Gina.

Ronda came with Jessamyn Duke and Shayna Basler in a package deal.

To be fair There is no set criteria for getting into the ufc man
Cain for example if i recall got in as there were aka guys in the ufc ,looked impressive in some wins at the local level and the ufc matchmakers have ties in that camp!
Normaly as long as your winning a few fights somewhere and you catch someone at ufc head offices eye thats it!!...its not massively better than getting in as your conors buddy etc

Was there a 4th?
Shit coaching hampered how far Marina's career really could've gone, unfortunately. She was another prospect who's judo translated decently to MMA.

I think she's done though. Last I heard she was preggo.

Best way into the UFC is spinning shit

At least he showed appreciation...

25914.jpg

10541.jpg

Pretty sure Joe Son got in because of Kimo, which doesn't say much for back then.

A lot of Lions Den and Hammer House guys got in because of Shamrock and Coleman as well.

any asian fighter riding bruce lee's coat tale

Ronda on Dana's

Brock and CM Punk because of the WWE, if that counts. Though Brock was legit due to his wrestling credentials and would've gotten in anyway.

Was thinking about how Artem Lobov really wouldn’t have gotta a shot in TUF or the UFC if not for his connection to Conor.

Artem is a solid fighter but realistically with his track record he had a miniscule chance of making it into the UFC had he not been Conor’s bestie.

Are there any other fighters who come to mind that have been given opportunities by the UFC because they knew someone?

Gian Villante made a few waves in Strikeforce but I feel like his fame really came from being Chris Weidman’s buddy and should have been released a few fights ago.
well, basically, the most famous one has to be Werdum...

Tito too, via Tank...

Frank via Ken...

All the Gracies too...hundreds...thousands...

Last edited:
Back