Fender Strats?

TankAbbott4Eva

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Righto I’ve played for 20 years or so, only ever played Les Paul shape really, active humbuckers etc, like my metal.

Anyway I tried a Strat the other week at the shop and loved it, so easy to play and sounds great.

So what should I look for in terms of a Strat? I know nothing about em really. And is a Floyd Rose thing worth the fucking around?

Righto I’ve played for 20 years or so, only ever played Les Paul shape really, active humbuckers etc, like my metal.

Anyway I tried a Strat the other week at the shop and loved it, so easy to play and sounds great.

So what should I look for in terms of a Strat? I know nothing about em really. And is a Floyd Rose thing worth the fucking around?

Strats very rarely come with Floyd's. Its always Fenders own trem. I've never really got on with them but I know normally the lowest you want to go is a Mexican made one and go up from there.

When are we getting a video of you shredding the fuck out of some metal sir?

Strats very rarely come with Floyd's. It’s always Fenders own trem. I've never really got on with them but I know normally the lowest you want to go is a Mexican made one and go up from there.

Righto so Floyd Rose is a type of tremolo then, ok think I get it. I’m a rhythm player as you may be able to tell, no idea about that shit ha ha, cheers man

Just a thought, but if you like playing strats, you might want to look into Ibanez, especially if you're into playing metal. You can usually get a better bang for your buck with a strat-style Ibanez than you can with a Fender, plus you don't have to pay a premium for a humbucker bridge pickup.

If you do decide to go with a Fender though, I'd advise spending a bit more and going with an American made strat rather than a Mexican one. If you're a serious guitarist and you decide to save money by buying a Mexican strat, you're liable to at least make up the difference by swapping out parts. Mexican strats are strictly for students IMO.

Righto so Floyd Rose is a type of tremolo then, ok think I get it. I’m a rhythm player as you may be able to tell, no idea about that shit ha ha, cheers man

The difference between a FR trem and a regular trem is that a FR can raise the pitch rather than just lowering it. If you mainly play rhythm, it's more trouble than it's worth (specifically because it makes tuning a pain in the ass)

Last edited:
You've been playing for 20 years I highly doubt you suck sir ;)

I had a break from 2016-18 pretty much, I went back to university and basically had no time. Since COVID I've been playing a lot, we were locked down a lot here!

I'm just uploading one to YT now, I'll post it here. Fuck me it's taking ages!

Just a thought, but if you like playing strats, you might want to look into Ibanez, especially if you're into playing metal. You can usually get a better bang for your buck with a strat-style Ibanez than you can with a Fender, plus you don't have to pay a premium for a humbucker bridge pickup.

If you do decide to go with a Fender though, I'd advise spending a bit more and going with an American made strat rather than a Mexican one. If you're a serious guitarist and you decide to save money by buying a Mexican strat, you're liable to at least make up the difference by swapping out parts. Mexican strats are strictly for students IMO.

The difference between a FR trem and a regular trem is that a FR can raise the pitch rather than just lowering it. If you mainly play rhythm, it's more trouble than it's worth (specifically because it makes tuning a pain in the ass)

Thanks for all of that. I should try an Ibanez, I actually was thinking about a 7 string at some point too, Ibanez seem to be the go for that I'd say.

I'm not a serious guitarist really but I'm happy to not skimp on price. Plus I've got a ESP E-II Eclipse which is ridiculously nice to play so my standards are probably higher now ha ha

Yeah I do mainly play rhythm, some solos, wouldn't mind fucking around with some Randy Rhoads/Dimebag shit with a tremolo, I'd better give it a go first.

Thanks again

I had a break from 2016-18 pretty much, I went back to university and basically had no time. Since COVID I've been playing a lot, we were locked down a lot here!

I'm just uploading one to YT now, I'll post it here. Fuck me it's taking ages!

Im looking forward to it sir.

I've gone the custom guitar route, Balaguer and Kiesel and I love them.

I have a strat that I swapped the pickups on and it sounds great.

Also, guitarists of Sherdog should do a shred collab video.

I'm not a serious guitarist really but I'm happy to not skimp on price. Plus I've got a ESP E-II Eclipse which is ridiculously nice to play so my standards are probably higher now ha ha

ESP/LTD are my "daily" go to's, mostly use a EC-1000 and a TE-407

Righto here ya go, be kind ha ha! Been trying to learn this for 15 years I reckon, still not quite there.

Rock on sir, actually liked that.
Now im gonna need you to play flight of the bumblebee lol.

You've seen me play music already, so no need to bore everyone with that video again ;)

Honestly liked it though, even the recording itself wasn't bad, and its notoriously hard to get the volume right.
Well done.

Rock on sir, actually liked that.
Now im gonna need you to play flight of the bumblebee lol.

You've seen me play music already, so no need to bore everyone with that video again ;)

Honestly liked it though, even the recording itself wasn't bad, and its notoriously hard to get the volume right.
Well done.

Thanks my man! Yeah Flight of the Bumblebee might be a bit out of my reach ha ha. I don't know if I've seen a vid of you playing, pls post again

I just recorded that on my phone to send to some mates, my Line 6 Catalyst apparently has easy recording capability apparently. I really just try to learn to play better, I don't fuck about with tone too much.

Thanks my man! Yeah Flight of the Bumblebee might be a bit out of my reach ha ha. I don't know if I've seen a vid of you playing, pls post again

I just recorded that on my phone to send to some mates, my Line 6 Catalyst apparently has easy recording capability apparently. I really just try to learn to play better, I don't fuck about with tone too much.

Playing better is always the goal.
I taught myself this instrument, its an Eastern Woodlands flute given to me by an elder.

I did this song for a friend in Germany, he asked for a song because he was really bummed out.

This is when I was still on LiveLeak.

Give it a full listen because it changes as it goes sir.

And yea my name was DildoBaggins lol

Playing better is always the goal.
I taught myself this instrument, its an Eastern Woodlands flute given to me by an elder.

I did this song for a friend in Germany, he asked for a song because he was really bummed out.

This is when I was still on LiveLeak.

Give it a full listen because it changes as it goes sir.

And yea my name was DildoBaggins lol

That was cool man, very nice! I figured you'd be playing some metal or something so that was a curve ball. Do you play any other instruments?

That was cool man, very nice! I figured you'd be playing some metal or something so that was a curve ball. Do you play any other instruments?

I love hardcore/punk and metal and such, but this is my roots as I am Native sir.

I perform my poems on stage when I feel the need, carve wood, paint, build, but no other instruments lol.

I love hardcore/punk and metal and such, but this is my roots as I am Native sir.

I perform my poems on stage when I feel the need, carve wood, paint, build, but no other instruments lol.

Ah true, well there you go. You sound like you have more interesting hobbies than me!

Back