Favorite Chain of Attacks

GreatSaintGuillotine

You may not like what I say but it's the truth.
@Gold
Reaction score
Like the name would suggest, what are your favorite connected series of attacks when rolling? How much success do you have with them?

For me, I rum into a lot of judo/wrestler types in comp, so I end up in body lock situations a lot. In scenarios where my opponent gets me in some kind of body lock (front, side, or rear) I like to do this series.

Force hands to the hips
Dig for kimura grip
Sacrifice throw to Kimura trap (Kimura T)
Play the rear triangle/back take dilemma
Rear triangle/RT arm bar/RT Kimura etc.

What about yall?

Last edited:
Since I train mostly with BJJ guys, I usually get the TD if they don't pull guard first. High single + o uchi gari, tani otoshi or ko uchi gake TD to side control. Stop sign to north south and cook them there while spamming NS choke and kimura attacks. If I can't finish either of those, hold onto kimura and step over to take back. Let go of wrist but hold onto the wrist ride and convert to RNC.

If I can get to NS, the rest is high % for me and if I don't get a sub, I'll at least end the round in a dominant position.

Since I train mostly with BJJ guys, I usually get the TD if they don't pull guard first. High single + o uchi gari, tani otoshi or ko uchi gake TD to side control. Stop sign to north south and cook them there while spamming NS choke and kimura attacks. If I can't finish either of those, hold onto kimura and step over to take back. Let go of wrist but hold onto the wrist ride and convert to RNC.

If I can get to NS, the rest is high % for me and if I don't get a sub, I'll at least end the round in a dominant position.
I like to play the NS/kimura Dilemma as well. I don't have much luck with choke but almost always get the back from there. Such a tough spot to be in from the bottom. Recently started fucking around with the tarikoplata as well. I may see if I can find chances to feed it in from that situation.

I like to play the NS/kimura Dilemma as well. I don't have much luck with choke but almost always get the back from there. Such a tough spot to be in from the bottom. Recently started fucking around with the tarikoplata as well. I may see if I can find chances to feed it in from that situation.

Shit I'd never heard of the tarikoplata but just looked it up and that looks totally viable from NS position - I need to play with that. Yeah NS choke is finicky and I usually can only finish it if other guy is gassed out - which is why I cook them there for as long as needed. If they're reasonably fresh and especially if they're bigger and stronger, they can defend by framing into your throat and even if you get past that, they can just look into your ribcage and circle their feet away from you, which makes it hard to settle in. Lately I've been using it to bait the kimura, which I like better.

1) throw directing into kesa

2) apply chest compression submission

3) now opponent is struggling for breath

Exactly, in a much more eloquent way of putting it.

I save it for the younger athletic blue belts that need to be slowed down gunning for this poor old man because of his noob purple belt.

Their struggles and gasping for air is satisfying...

I pull guard mostly on White Belts, unless they ask to work standing.

Blues are the biggest pain in the ass...

Sweep

Quick pass from headquarters (smash, over-under, X pass, shin cutter)

side control to mount with a strong emphasis to put a arm over is head

Then I setup triangle from the top (take it if they give it to me) until they give up the gift wrap

Back take to straight jacket (leg over shoulder)

Triangle from the back or armbar

Shit I'd never heard of the tarikoplata but just looked it up and that looks totally viable from NS position - I need to play with that. Yeah NS choke is finicky and I usually can only finish it if other guy is gassed out - which is why I cook them there for as long as needed. If they're reasonably fresh and especially if they're bigger and stronger, they can defend by framing into your throat and even if you get past that, they can just look into your ribcage and circle their feet away from you, which makes it hard to settle in. Lately I've been using it to bait the kimura, which I like better.

Danaher as a move that he calls crosskimura that is pretty much like a tarikoplata but you fall on your back and use both your legs to break the grip

NS choke is pure bullshit, so few people are consistent with it. I have a guy at my gym that is becoming pretty good to bait people to turn a certain way so he can trap them in a good guillotine when they escape

Danaher as a move that he calls crosskimura that is pretty much like a tarikoplata but you fall on your back and use both your legs to break the grip

NS choke is pure bullshit, so few people are consistent with it. I have a guy at my gym that is becoming pretty good to bait people to turn a certain way so he can trap them in a good guillotine when they escape

Is that the one from NS kimura, where you step over uke and then sit back so you're on your back and you have the kimura with your calves against other guy's back? That's my preferred kimura finish but I'm not very flexible and often struggle to get into that position without getting bumped over while I'm trying to step over. Tarikoplata looks like it's pretty much that, but with the lapel holding the kimura tightly in place and might be more practical for me.

There's a few guys at my gym who are good at NS choke, and it's probably 30% for me so I go for it if possible. But it's a slow burn sub and you can't rush it or you won't settle in properly. I finished one yesterday during rolls but that's only possible if my ribcage is deep enough to force other guy's head to turn away. If it's a bigger, stronger guy and he's resisting that, I just go to kimura or back to side control. But as an old guy grappler, NS is probably my favorite position for control and transitions.

Is that the one from NS kimura, where you step over uke and then sit back so you're on your back and you have the kimura with your calves against other guy's back? That's my preferred kimura finish but I'm not very flexible and often struggle to get into that position without getting bumped over while I'm trying to step over. Tarikoplata looks like it's pretty much that, but with the lapel holding the kimura tightly in place and might be more practical for me.
Yeah that's the one

it's not a easy one for me neither, it"s all about weight distribution on your feet so the step over gets easy

But very tough to do in live rolling

At my gym a lot of people just go on their back the second you don't keep them on their side with your knees pinching them there. with crosskimura and tarikoplata, you will surely lift your knees at some point. If they try to go belly down it's easier to manage the move anyway

Depends on position.

Full guard:
Armbar, triangle, omoplata, omoplata sweep, backstep to mounted triangle, armbar.

Half guard: Kimura to either Shaolin sweep or my variation of the old school sweep; or Kimura to lapel feed behind the back, to dogfight, and either armbar or bump them forward and take top position.

Side control: Knee on belly to near side armbar or move to N/S choke

Mount: Roger/Keenan hybrid style cross collar choke, chained to S-mount armbar. My S-mount armbar is a hybrid between Shawn Williams and Keenan's armbar, and it's so high percentage I don't know what my next move is LMAO. With a good S-mount, I can often get a tap just from pressure.

NS choke is great once you get the subtleties of the mechanics down, which is tricky. Most people apply it like a crank and don't get the squeeze right, similar to how some have trouble making darces and arm triangles pure chokes and they get cranky.

There just aren't many people doing it or teaching it correctly.

I worked with a buddy that was a brown belt (this was a few weeks before he was promoted to black by Relson) that had never really had it broken down. After about five or ten minutes of some demonstrations and adjustments, he was NAILING it, immediate tap, clean, pure choke, zero crank.

I would imagine that you just haven't worked closely with someone that really understands the finishing mechanics of the choke.

There's a few guys at my gym who are good at NS choke, and it's probably 30% for me so I go for it if possible. But it's a slow burn sub and you can't rush it or you won't settle in properly. I finished one yesterday during rolls but that's only possible if my ribcage is deep enough to force other guy's head to turn away. If it's a bigger, stronger guy and he's resisting that, I just go to kimura or back to side control. But as an old guy grappler, NS is probably my favorite position for control and transitions.
Let me describe a few details that I think could help.
First, I would ask if you're joining your hands or not for the finish. I prefer NOT joining my hands, but just having one wrist on top of the other.

Let's assume you're choking with your left arm. Try this just sitting in a chair.
Don't lift, don't squeeze. Put your palm on your sternum, slide your hand across your chest toward your right shoulder. This will drive your left bicep into their left carotid. Don't think about the crook of your elbow, that will just make it cranky, we want a clean blood choke. Now, instead a rib cage, think lat. You want your lat, with the bottom corner of your shoulder blade, in their right carotid. As you drive your left arm across your sternum, you walk in a clockwise circle, pressuring the right side of their neck with the very upper portion of your lat, as high up on your own armpit as you can wedge them. Now, and only now, do you think about your hands. Palms up. Back of your right hand on the floor, back of your left hand just above it, and NOW turn your wrists to you. But if you've done the other things correctly, you'll never even need to do that.

Once everything is set up, it should be practically effortless, and a VERY quick tap.

Back